Sponsored by:

what would you pay - for a 04 C4S 70K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
sun_dance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would you pay - for a 04 C4S 70K miles

So I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what they would pay for a highly optioned 04 911 C4S with about 70K miles on it. It has been maintained by Porsche for day 1 and has all the maintenance history. RMS has been addressed. It has new pads and tires and if I were to rate it on a likert scale (10 being brand new), I would rate the interior as a 9.5 and the exterior a 7.5/8. Here are what it has:

Xenon Headlights With Automatic Leveling
Bose High End Sound Packagew/ipod cable adapter
Electrochromic Mirrors & Rain Sensor
short shift kit
Front Heated Seats
Sport Techno Alloy Wheels
Driver Lumbar Support
Power Seating Package

So was wondering what you all would think it's worth?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Is it this one?
https://rennlist.com/forums/9181527-post68.html

Thread here
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-opinions.html
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
sun_dance
Advanced

so I'm not sure what you meant by "Perhaps this car is a dog and priced incorrectly for the miles according to the tone of this thread..." Do you feel that it's overpriced for what it is?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

There are members here who gave their actual price for their recent purchases. Good friend of mine actually paid less, compared to everyone else, for a blk/blk C4S with the same mileage. Then again, he was actively looking for 2+ years and watched the market like a hawk which earned him a 10% discount.

You are competing with other buyers in the market and all it takes is one who wants more than you for you to lose the car unfortunately. These cars are worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay for them. Luckily for you, there are not many buyers looking at 70K+ mile C4S in this economy and season.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
sun_dance
Advanced

so do you think $30K would be a "good" price for the car? Based upon all the information available...I agree the economy is down and people generally don't spend much money after Christmas.

Do you suggest I hold off on a car with lower mileage and what is that worth per 10k miles? For example, is it worth an extra $1K for every 10k less miles on a car?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$32K for a C4S coupe with 70K miles seems like a decent (if not slightly high -- only because I value low mileage cars) price assuming the car is in great shape, gets PPI'd and comes out clean, blah blah blah.

If you want a car with lower miles you need to be prepared to pay more or wait until one comes around. Like Chao said, his friend waited around for 2 years. If you're that patient then all the best to you. In 2 years, the prices should naturally come down, too (unless the 996 unpredictably plateaus at some point), and then you'll have missed 2 years of driving a 996.

-Eric
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My personal rule of thumb: buy the most/newest car one can afford. I surveyed the ads on CL/autotrader and completed listings on ebay in addition to the data posted by KBB, NADA and Edmunds.

My 2 cents: have a PPI done for the car you're interested in and if it checks out (plus Autocheck and Carfax), then I'd say $30K is a good place to start. Best of luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 795 Posts

If its really in good shape, then I wouldn't worry about 70k miles. If you can get it for $30k, that seems pretty good to me. That being said, it's just my opinion. I haven't been shopping for another Porsche lately, so I'm not really in touch with the current market.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sun_dance
so do you think $30K would be a "good" price for the car? Based upon all the information available...I agree the economy is down and people generally don't spend much money after Christmas.

Do you suggest I hold off on a car with lower mileage and what is that worth per 10k miles? For example, is it worth an extra $1K for every 10k less miles on a car?
You're talking about $1-2K. Would you be happy paying $30K? Does it have everything you're looking for in a 996? If not, then don't worry about it and wait until you find the car you want. If it does have what you're looking for, then check it out in person (or have someone check it out for you). If you like what you see then talk price with the seller. Get it PPI'd and see how it comes out. Push for the price you want. If the PPI comes out bad, run like hell. If it comes out clean and you want it badly enough are you really going to walk away over $1K on a car that might be appropriately priced if not $1-2K too high?

-Eric
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM
sun_dance
Advanced

that sounds fair...so it looks like the price is about right for what I'm looking at. I can get it to me, including shipping, PPI, and taxes for under $34K...which seems to be not a bad deal.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 787 Posts

$30k-ish seems to be a pretty common price for a car like that right now. Personally, I tend to buy slightly higher mileage cars that have been taken care of because you can generally get a better deal on them since people seem to think that 100k miles is some kind of magic mileage number where a car automatically falls apart and becomes worthless.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 PM
sun_dance
Advanced

or do you all think that the following car is the better "deal", based upon an extra $5K?

http://autoenterpriseonline.com/pictures/1580

They both have about the same mileage, but the TT has H&R springs, new rims, near new tires, and brakes are 70%. thoughts???
Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your budget? Do you have one? Do you have a max amount to spend?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

or do you all think that the following car is the better "deal", based upon an extra $5K?

http://autoenterpriseonline.com/pictures/1580

They both have about the same mileage, but the TT has H&R springs, new rims, near new tires, and brakes are 70%. thoughts???
All the other kids with the pumped up kicks...
You better run, better run, outrun my gun...
Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 AM
howardm50
Intermediate

If it helps, I paid $40K for my 2004 C4S about 14 months ago. Had 39K miles on it at the time. Condition was excellent, similar specs to what you've listed.

For 30-40K I think the 996 is a great value+performance combo -- a lot of car for that price range. I use mine every day.

$30-34K feels about right given the mileage; PS. a trip to a professional detailer with experience in paint reconditioning can take your 7.5 exterior to a 10 for about $400-600.

Good luck with your decision. +++1 on the PPI.

Howard

So I wanted to get peoples thoughts on what they would pay for a highly optioned 04 911 C4S with about 70K miles on it. It has been maintained by Porsche for day 1 and has all the maintenance history. RMS has been addressed. It has new pads and tires and if I were to rate it on a likert scale (10 being brand new), I would rate the interior as a 9.5 and the exterior a 7.5/8. Here are what it has:

Xenon Headlights With Automatic Leveling
Bose High End Sound Packagew/ipod cable adapter
Electrochromic Mirrors & Rain Sensor
short shift kit
Front Heated Seats
Sport Techno Alloy Wheels
Driver Lumbar Support
Power Seating Package

So was wondering what you all would think it's worth?

Quick Reply: what would you pay - for a 04 C4S 70K miles