Sponsored by:

Uh-Oh! Need some advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,446 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
A running engine does not wear? Damn, what oil are you using and where can I buy some?

Again, finding a small amount of metal flecks, that can be seen while holding the cut oil filter at certain angles, is not uncommon for a auto. engine. If, on the other hand, the amount of metal is excessive and it is ferrous then that could certainly be a cause for concern. All of this is pure speculation without the aid of pictures and the knowledge of whether or not the metal is ferrous.

The amount of fear mongering here by people who do not know the facts is stunning. I guess all of that guerilla marking here and elsewhere has really paid off and apparently there is no need for it’s continuation as the boards have been fairly quiet with few new carnage threads.
....i've just read what other experts have stated. finding metal shavings or metal particals (larger than microscopic sized) in your oil is not a good thing. period.

why don't you be a little more positive instead of throwing insults around.

i guess you also agree that $2400 is the right price to pay for an IMS replacement?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I was told about IMS problems with the 996 when I had my car checked out before I bought it. I decided to wait until I needed a clutch. My '02 now has 109k and the clutch just started to slip last Friday. It's in the shop right now getting a clutch, IMS bearing and RMS. $2500. Not having the agita of the dread IMS failure while I'm trying to enjoy my Porsche...priceless. Good luck.
Mark
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
....i've just read what other experts have stated. finding metal shavings or metal particals (larger than microscopic sized) in your oil is not a good thing. period.

why don't you be a little more positive instead of throwing insults around.

i guess you also agree that $2400 is the right price to pay for an IMS replacement?
Where did I insult you? You need to get a little tougher.

Justify your $$$$ spent on replacing your IM$ however you want, obviously I disagree.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

i admit...i was being a wuss...i'm tougher now

heres my new to me 911sc...just drove home...its the car wayne dempsey(pelican parts)used for his 101 porsche projects book...132K miles on chasis, 30K on total top to bottom rebuild which was featured in the book as well as lots of other replacement parts/projects. lots of upgrades on suspension/shocks and SSi's/stainless dansk muffler make it sound and handle great. car came from factory with cloth inserts which i've never seen on a non-european sc....will get better photos next week when the H4's are installed and i've painted the trim rings...(oil drips from my 94 isuzu trooper)
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

groovzilla that is awesome! I've always wanted an aircooled 911 but I have fallen completely in love with my 996 C4S and unless it burns to the ground it isn't going anywhere! Maybe when I have a bigger garage I'll be ready for a 2nd one.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

you's be happy w/both early and late car...nothing like the feel of the early car/nothing like the smooth preformance of the later model!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update - I stop in to check on my car today and see what it looks like with engine out. Engine is still in the car, and he said he decided not to drop it due to rusty bolts, connectors, etc. Will drop the transmission and replace the IMSB and RMS while the engine is still in the car. I was kind of suprised as I didn't know you could do this with the engine in the car.

Said it will take longer this way but still should be done Wednesday. New tires (Conti DWS) are installed and it has a fresh alignment. Anxious to get it back.....
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tedfromohio
Update - I stop in to check on my car today and see what it looks like with engine out. Engine is still in the car, and he said he decided not to drop it due to rusty bolts, connectors, etc. Will drop the transmission and replace the IMSB and RMS while the engine is still in the car. I was kind of suprised as I didn't know you could do this with the engine in the car.

Said it will take longer this way but still should be done Wednesday. New tires (Conti DWS) are installed and it has a fresh alignment. Anxious to get it back.....
Wow. Good luck with this car. I wish you the best!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Good news, what shop are you using?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I dropped the engine with the tranny in the car to save time and money on my overhaul. You can do either.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

If I had found metal shards in my filter I would have the shop drop the pan and flush everything before running with the LN bearing. From what Charles said in another post, the one issue with an open bearing is the possibility of metal bits getting inside. He theorized it may have been a possible explanation for the some of the LN-bearing failures they've had so far...folks installing the bearing in cars where the OEM bearing had already started to break down (metallic, not just the seal).
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 AM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oldsmobile Bravada...anyone ever heard of that??? i'd change the oil just less that 5k for a decade & there were enough metal flakes on the plug to build a match box car. i sold her @ 165k. i had an old 74 "safari lookin" LAND CRUSIER, that just kept on going. bought it w 140k & sold it just under 200k, the oil was always coal black & silver shinny flakes abound. at 3500 miles on my harley & at 20,000 on my harley, when u change the primary fluid, the drian plug has enough metal on it to fill a 30 cal. everyone's experience is different. i'm not payin $2500 every time i change the oil. and in Seattle, a beautiful place for everything outside a human being can do 5 to 6 months a year, u can buy a home under 100K. there is no such thing where i live. u say porsche in southern cali and ur an idiot and everybody else is an expert and oil cost the same as blood, actually more. sometimes i think the name of this forum should be "fear factor". i'm not excluding myself, i'm right in there w the rest of those thinkin ''OMG should i drive in the rain?" the point of the tread, we should have paid the $175 for the oil change & go back in 1 or 2k & doit again. but like me, u paid the $2500 by time all is said & done, for the peace of mind, to prevent the blah blah blah, & blah blah..and the funny part, is when u change ur oil again, in 3500 miles, what r u gona fix when those same little silver flakes are in the oil filter? i think i'm going to go for the heated seats.....
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (01-05-2022)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groovzilla
$2400 for IMS is a ripoff!...anyone paying more than $1500 is getting scammed..you know what they say about more money than brains.
my indy charges $1500 with tax and he is one of the most respected shops in seattle...7hrs labor and bolts/bearing cost is $650.
I'm sorry, but I've got to side with groov on this one! the indy DAMN SURE ain't doin' you No Favors!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wasn't going to respond because I don't care what these folks think (especially groovzilla, who owned his car for all of 5 minutes).

Truth is that that guy who developed the bearing stated that parts and labor would be roughly $3500-$4000 for the IMS bearing replacement

Read Jakes Raby's post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...placement.html

If you took your car to a reputable shop that is starving for business then maybe $1500 for parts & labor makes sense. Did they drop the sump cover and look for debris? Of course they didn't. Slap and strap is most likely their motto.

I do almost all of my own work but the IMS bearing replacement was outside my zone.

3 different places in my gave me similar prices and I chose to go with the most reputable shop in the area where the shop (the size of a small airplace hanger) is filled with either customer Porsches for daily driving, customer porsches for racing, or the Porsches that the master mechanics in the shop race on weekends.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soverystout
I wasn't going to respond because I don't care what these folks think (especially groovzilla, who owned his car for all of 5 minutes).

Truth is that that guy who developed the bearing stated that parts and labor would be roughly $3500-$4000 for the IMS bearing replacement

Read Jakes Raby's post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...placement.html

If you took your car to a reputable shop that is starving for business then maybe $1500 for parts & labor makes sense. Did they drop the sump cover and look for debris? Of course they didn't. Slap and strap is most likely their motto.

I do almost all of my own work but the IMS bearing replacement was outside my zone.

3 different places in my gave me similar prices and I chose to go with the most reputable shop in the area where the shop (the size of a small airplace hanger) is filled with either customer Porsches for daily driving, customer porsches for racing, or the Porsches that the master mechanics in the shop race on weekends.
i actually owned my 996 for 129,600 minutes(3 months)but that has no bearing(pardon the pun)on what my observations are regarding the IMS bearing cost. i've owned almost every model porsche some for years (my 356 for 18 years and still counting the minutes)and the 996 just happened to be for a few months because my entire plan was to upgrade to a lower mileage 996 OR look for a turbo. it is all documented in my posts and threads if you care to do some homework.
since you slammed me for my short ownership i thought you may want to do your research before opening your mouth with such a ridiculous statement. my 3 month old 996 is damn well sorted.
my mechanic AKERS porsche has been in the business for 50 years and is well respected. i trust him for his suggestions/opinions on the matter. i follow his guide when i purchase a model i'm not familiar with and i do my research.
that said, the IMS debate has taken so many twists and turns it is tiring. i had an excellent well known reputable shop AKERS install a new clutch, new flywheel, IMS upgrade and RMS for $3K. that included oil analysis, filter inspection and coolant inspection.
sounds like your airplane hanger shop has a big monthly rental payment. this is the only reason i can see for a $3500-$4000 IMS replacement unless of course LN engineering is making a solid gold version? one thing i can say, paying $3500-$4000 for an IMS bearing upgrade is having waaay too much money than brains.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-15-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Uh-Oh! Need some advice.....