Sponsored by:

IMS Guardian Install- Now drain plug leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default IMS Guardian Install- Now drain plug leaking

I have just finished up the install of the IMS Guardian, but now the drain plug leaks. Never leaked when I used the OEM one or the Magnetic one I had.
I have torqued to the correct setting, used a different crush washer and have even put less torque on there and it still seeps.
Any thoughts or anyone else have this issue?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

We haven't had any complaints of this.. I will say that during our testing I found one instance where the factory sump plate was machined deeper and effected the installed depth of the MCD sensor. This did cause a slight oil leak as it effected seating of the crush gasket.
Email is some pics of the leak and we can either give you some pointers or send you an altered MCD unit.
We only had the problem once.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

BTW the first generation MCD used a non OEM, thicker crush gasket. These units must use this sealing gasket and we include a second spare gasket in the kits. If using any other crush gasket I'd expect a leak.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Jake must have a giant alarm bell hanging off his computer... get some sleep, brother!

(actually, thanks for being such an available asset, and not just for your customers)
Old 03-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Jake must have a giant alarm bell hanging off his computer... get some sleep, brother!

(actually, thanks for being such an available asset, and not just for your customers)
No problem.. We have to support our products, and I treat my purchasers the same way I'd want to be treated if the roles were swapped.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Detoxx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jake, since this uses a different crush washer than stock can you specify which crush washers we should be using?
Also I recently inquired about upgrading my imsg to have the 12V output. Basically from what I understand I need to uninstall the electronics unit and attached wiring, correct? Wish the unit had a wiring harness disconnect near the electronic unit so I wouldn't have to pull all the wiring out. Other than that I think its a great product especially for those with a re-manufactured engine.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Jake, since this uses a different crush washer than stock can you specify which crush washers we should be using?
IF the unit is generation one you must use the sealing rings that are supplied. We supply two of these units in each of the first generation kits and they can be reused several times as they are much more robust than the OEM units. I have reused these a dozen times when we were testing the IMSG and haven't had any issues. We do have replacement sealing rings available for the generation one units.

Generation two units have an altered MCD that uses the OEM factory Porsche sealing ring so nothing special is required with these, however these sealing rings are one time use only.

Also I recently inquired about upgrading my imsg to have the 12V output. Basically from what I understand I need to uninstall the electronics unit and attached wiring, correct?
Yes, we need "the black box" and the primary wire harness if you want this upgrade.

Wish the unit had a wiring harness disconnect near the electronic unit so I wouldn't have to pull all the wiring out.
The "optional" 12V output was something that wasn't engineered into the system from the beginning. Only after we had a handful of purchasers request this so they could run external devices did we integrate it into the generation two units as an option.

We can upgrade existing generation one units to have the external output for 40.00 + shipping, but we need the primary wire harness and the black box. This requires a circuit board modification.

Other than that I think its a great product especially for those with a re-manufactured engine.
Thanks.. Like any product that continues to evolve we will create upgrades along the way. Some of these can be applied to existing units and others require a purchase of a new system.. Kinda like the guy that just bought an iPad2 and its already the former generation because the iPad3 is being released.

That said, the IMS Guardian Jr. is looking good for release in late April for those who have the 2005 and later cars. Its not as seamless to integrate and doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it still warns of imminent engine failure in the same manner. Its even easier to install and cheaper with a tentative retail price of 199.00
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can the IMSG Jr be installed on a 996?

I'm not concerned about the dash integration of the standard IMSG and it's push to test functionality.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 PM
jdog
Pro

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
BTW the first generation MCD used a non OEM, thicker crush gasket. These units must use this sealing gasket and we include a second spare gasket in the kits. If using any other crush gasket I'd expect a leak.
I have the first gen unit. It has the thick washer. The drain plug does seem to go quite far into the recess of the sump plate. I thought maybe that was preventing it from sealing, but it seems that upon further inspection it is just barely clearing the sump plate structure.
I will try tomorrow to get some pics and see if maybe my torque wrench is off just enough to make it seep.
I just don't want to over tighten and kill the threads in that alum. plate.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jdog
I have the first gen unit. It has the thick washer. The drain plug does seem to go quite far into the recess of the sump plate. I thought maybe that was preventing it from sealing, but it seems that upon further inspection it is just barely clearing the sump plate structure.
I will try tomorrow to get some pics and see if maybe my torque wrench is off just enough to make it seep.
I just don't want to over tighten and kill the threads in that alum. plate.
Ok, let us know how it works out. If something is going on with the sensor we have no problem replacing it under warranty.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 AM
olasman
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I too have an oil leak from the drain plug

Installation is complete on IMSG0807, and I have a small oil leak coming from the unit's oil drain plug. 2004 996 40th Anniversary, M96/01 engine. I had no previous oil leak problems. Any ideas? Different crush washer? Machined right?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 AM
jdog
Pro

Originally Posted by olasman
Installation is complete on IMSG0807, and I have a small oil leak coming from the unit's oil drain plug. 2004 996 40th Anniversary, M96/01 engine. I had no previous oil leak problems. Any ideas? Different crush washer? Machined right?
First make sure that it is torqued correctly. What I found on mine is that I had to torque it and as I was getting close to the 37 ftlbs I believe it was like the wrench all of a sudden "gave" on me and I thought that I stripped the threads of the sump plate,but it turns out that the plug actually touches the side of the sump plate slightly and was causing it to bind.
Now, my leak has slowed, but I have yet to see that it actually stopped. Over the course of a week I may have a few drops on the ground where as before I had a very small puddle.
Jake, what do you think should be my (our) next moves? Ship us new plugs to try?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We have had 4 reports of slight leaks, all but one of them was an issue with the tightness of the sensor or te sensor contacting the inner diameter of the sump plate before the seating surface. In that one case we replaced the sensor and the issue was solved.

If you tightened the sensor ad te leak slowed, the issues is not the sensor, it's probably slight miasma honing of the sump plate that's effecting the sealing of the sensor. I can post a small modification that you can make to the sensor to solve the issue or we can replace your sensor with the generation 2 unit, no worries.

FYI two of the leak issues occurred on the anniversary edition cars. The sump plates on these engines are slightly different and we have learned that the issue is compounded with that sump plate. Try tightening the plug slightly and if that doesn't work we will modify a sensor and send to you.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 PM
jdog
Pro

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We have had 4 reports of slight leaks, all but one of them was an issue with the tightness of the sensor or te sensor contacting the inner diameter of the sump plate before the seating surface. In that one case we replaced the sensor and the issue was solved.

If you tightened the sensor ad te leak slowed, the issues is not the sensor, it's probably slight miasma honing of the sump plate that's effecting the sealing of the sensor. I can post a small modification that you can make to the sensor to solve the issue or we can replace your sensor with the generation 2 unit, no worries.

FYI two of the leak issues occurred on the anniversary edition cars. The sump plates on these engines are slightly different and we have learned that the issue is compounded with that sump plate. Try tightening the plug slightly and if that doesn't work we will modify a sensor and send to you.
Jake,
Just to be clear do you want me to try and tighten it past the recc. torque specs? If so, how far do you think I should go?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris's installed my system and replaced a cracked sump plate during the install. Add my car to the list of leakers.

Quick Reply: IMS Guardian Install- Now drain plug leaking