996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are all 911s inherently unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
jefe_not
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GSIRM3: Have you set a reasonable price on that death trap yet?

+1 on the track time, driving instruction, and enjoying the limits of the car!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the car to autocross to see how it handles. Even with PSM off, the car is quite controllable, and not that easy to make the back-end break loose - of course eventually you reach the laws of physics - but with PSM on - you have to be doign something very stupid to get into trouble ,,, Understeer was much more of an issue than oversteer for me ...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Turkertwo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars are dangerous
Having said that, I love the rear weight bias of all 911s including my current 2000 model with PSM. Driving a 911 aggressively is a challenge. Even with the chassis nanny switch on these cars can still bite. That is part of their great charm as a site like this attests.
On the other hand, I am reminded each time I drive a Boxster how much better the mid engine design is in terms of balance and tossibility at, say, 8/10ths on the street. Not that they are necessarily more fun to drive, but I'll bet I could beat my own 911's autocross times in a similarly equiped Boxster with equal power. For an amature (like myself), the Boxster is a little easier to wring speed out of quickly.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:22 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt_Seattle
All in all, I find the that I feel safer in the Porsche than I do in the other cars, simply because there isn't a lot of play in either the steering or braking. If I tell the car to do something it complies; whereas, I can fiddle with the steering in the other cars, and they won't respond in as precise a manner.
Kurt, as a fellow C4 owner in Seattle, I can tell you it is fantastic car both in the wet and in the snow, with proper tires. Having owned a number of 911s over 25 years, I can say that the 996 C4 is a completely different animal compared to a two-wheel drive 911. In the NW, in the wet and snow a C4 will allow you to push it a bit farther without going over the edge. A C2, on the other hand, has completely different handling characteristics and limits. I prefer the C2 at the very edge, but for safety in daily and overall driving, I love the C4. Having said all that, be careful when you first get behind the wheel of a two-wheel drive 911- they are very different. I'd love to hear your impressions of a C2 and a C4 driven back to back...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Journalists are just people in general. One that wrote for a well know motorcycle mag for years hadn't a clue about anything mechanical and would write in depth articles about the latest and greatest techno wizardly in the industry often tripping over himself and struggling all the while. It's like he'd use a press release from the manufacturer and try to reword it. Too bad he didn't get it. I lost all what little credence I had in that publication.

A neighbor of mine was the guy that did the Saturday automotive reviews for our local paper. He didn't get it either. Often he'd have me drive him up the canyons to test the latest suspension, handling or braking features. He wrote the Mitsubishi Galant sport handling control and ABS brakes without understanding what they really did. I'd pilot the car and give him a first hand demo. It amazed him as he didn't feel comfortable pushing vehicles at all. I'm sure there are a lot like this.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is more about handling safety -- but I would like to see Porsche at some point puts its cars through the same crash tests that other manufacturers do. Over the years, I've heard the 911 family is extremely safe in a crash. But I'd like to see a relative comparison.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jefe_not
GSIRM3: Have you set a reasonable price on that death trap yet?
LOL. Do you think I could get anything for it?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All 911s are deathtraps, you should get rid of yours right now.

As a service to all 911 owners I will take the car off your hands for no charge and give you a full release of liability. PM for details.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Look at the pics, both driver and passenger lived. This happened a few miles from home and 3-4 miles below where my avatar pic was taken. They went off a steep canyon road, down a steep long embankment and I believe upside down in the icy stream.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14382034
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
All 911s are deathtraps, you should get rid of yours right now.

As a service to all 911 owners I will take the car off your hands for no charge and give you a full release of liability. PM for details.
PM sent. I'll be glad to be rid of that death-trap.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
I know this thread is more about handling safety -- but I would like to see Porsche at some point puts its cars through the same crash tests that other manufacturers do. Over the years, I've heard the 911 family is extremely safe in a crash. But I'd like to see a relative comparison.
I think that data is out there in massive abundance, and has been since 1973 when the 5mph bumpers first began. You need to consider reading a wider range of information. ALL MODELS and ALL MANUFACTURERS must go through ALL of the exact same crash testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration EVERY model year. All automobile models must be crash tested every time there is a change to that model.

Here is their home page:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/

You can browse it at your leisure.

That means there are already a minimum of FIVE 991 coupes and FIVE 991 cabriolets sitting in the NHTSA junk yard out back, and results are available on their site.

Crash testing is MANDATORY. Nobody is allow to sell an automobile in the United States until NHTSA and DOT sign off on it.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 PM
vwillo1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine is in the rear! Some bitch, I hadn't noticed. Really, an autocross or DE is the best learning experience you can get and calm your fears about the *** end coming around.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
MrTomT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the responses.

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just asking the question from an unbiased position.

It's a bit hard to name the exact articles I have read over the years that use the 'throwing a hammer handle first' quote. I've also read terms like 'defying the laws of physics' or 'lift-off oversteer' I'm sure others have read this stuff over the years also.

Listen to this Porsche technical instructor describe the handling to Jay Leno in this video (at about 6:42 to 7:30)...

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...911-gt2/966781

I understand the argument that if the car is driven properly & within it's limits, by an adequately experienced/skilled driver, then there should be no problem, but this does not account for all situations on the road.
Other drivers, mechanical failures, dangerous road surfaces, weather condition etc. All of these external factors come into play also.

I'm not looking to buy a Volvo & understand that all mechanical designs are compromises. Just looking to get a bit more of an idea of the 996 in particular before I bother people for test-drives.

Anyhow, I think these are fascinating cars. Thanks again for all of the responses.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick49
Look at the pics, both driver and passenger lived. This happened a few miles from home and 3-4 miles below where my avatar pic was taken. They went off a steep canyon road, down a steep long embankment and I believe upside down in the icy stream.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14382034
If you can see the creek, understeer. If you come to and don't know how you got in the creek, oversteer. If there are no skid marks you are avoiding a trip to *** pounding prison by going to the hospital
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I owned a 996, I couldn't drive from here to there without hitting something. A tree. A curb. The occasional pedestrian. However, since I have been driving the 996, I have been accident free for over 6 months! I assume that accelerating through turns, jack rabbit starts, +100mph sprints (allegedly) and last minute braking have been handled much better by my Porsche 911 than my Jaguar XK.

Quick Reply: Are all 911s inherently unsafe?