Sponsored by:

Are all 911s inherently unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 AM
MrTomT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are all 911s inherently unsafe?

I keep reading articles where auto journalists write that driving a 911 is like 'throwing a hammer handle first' & recently heard someone say that as soon as you do lose grip in a big way in even a modern 911, you are traveling backwards...

On the other hand it's regarded as one of the most iconic sports cars of all time. Is the rear engine layout really that dangerous once the car is out of shape?

I'm keen to hear the thoughts of 911 owners?

Kind regards,

Tom
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
jefe_not
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think so. I've been told that the older turbos were a handful but my NA '99 C2 is a very nice driver.

I think the original Beetles were more dangerous because they were underpowered LOL It seems to depend quite a bit on how you drive them!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you know how to drive these cars then there isn't an issue. Many modern 911s (99 - present) have PSM (porsche stability management) or some iteration of this system. With these systems and the modern technologies, the issues you are referring to reside mostly with older 911s.

In an older 911 (pre 993 I believe, may include the 993), if you were to accelerate into a turn and then lift off the gas (or god forbid hit the brake) you could induce the *** end of the car to come around on you causing a bad situtation.

What magazines are you reading and about what year 911s are they reviewing?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you can't drive, any car is unsafe. Porsche's have a different dynamic, but once you understand it, it's just as stable as any other platform. Things just don't "happen" and you don't just end up backwards. That is, unless you ignore (or don't understand) what the car is telling you.

-td
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Is that you Ralph Nader?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Every time we see a new generation 911 we see in print that the lift throttle oversteer is no longer a problem.

That mass in the rear is what makes the car rotate early in a corner allowing the driver to get on the throttle sooner and faster down the next straight. That same willingness to rotate is why the car has the reputation of being difficult at the limit. Most of us grew with cars that understeered at all times so lifting in a corner when too fast was acceptable. Not so in a 911 - any 911. At the track, it is realatively easy to remember not to lift. On the street, maybe not. So, yes, once out of shape by being too fast in a corner, it can be more dangerous than cars with lots of understeer built in. An eletronic stability system is a damn fine idea.

A fast ride with a good driver in an older 911 will produce ear to ear grins!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

It's all BS and jealousy wrapped up in a neat bow.

If 75% of every Porsche made, including 356's and 911's are still on the road today, that means that with a percentage rusted out, very few have statistically been crashed and written off when compared to other cars.

No mention of the fact that more front wheel drive cars under steer off the road and crash. Or all wheel drives leaving the road with all wheels driving themselves into the ditch.

There is an inherent trait exhibited among journalists that test Porsche's to find fault, any fault with Porsche's - especially 911 models as they know it riles owners of 911's up.

I don't think anyone has an issue with criticism of 911 handling traits - as long as it's fair. When I read the 'golly gee' reports of Vette's or Viper's and how great they handle - knowing many of the owners of these cars are no longer around to dispute the reviews, only their estates could reply.... It smacks as selective bias.

Any vehicle can be crashed, even a moon rover! Perhaps the great record of on the road retention of Porsche vehicles is the owners are better drivers?

Ask any manufacturer rep how many of their press cars are crashed every year. You would be stunned at the number.

Perhaps the question shouldn't be are Porsche's unsafe - it should be asked; 'are auto journalists unsafe'. Just saying.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Kurt_Seattle
Track Day

I only have limited experience, since I got my first Porsche just last fall; but, having driven Hondas, Jeeps, Toyotas, Delivery trucks, etc. in my life, I find the Porsche (996 C4) to be extremely stable and solid on the road. And I live in the PacNW with rain and rough conditions. While I haven't taken the car out in the snow, I have played in the rain, and was really pleased at both the braking and handling of the Porsche (My car does have PSM - which I leave on).

All in all, I find the that I feel safer in the Porsche than I do in the other cars, simply because there isn't a lot of play in either the steering or braking. If I tell the car to do something it complies; whereas, I can fiddle with the steering in the other cars, and they won't respond in as precise a manner.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

I think you need to push the car really hard through a corner and liftoff for it to actually spin around. Unless you've gone completely out of your mind, you wouldn't go to that limit on the roads. That said, every time I am doing a high-speed turn I am always aware that I shouldn't liftoff or brake hard - This was something that I learnt when I was a kid playing Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed (esp the old cars)
Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

"Unsafe" is completely the wrong word.

What is true, is that a rear-engine car handles VERY differently from the way every other car on the road handles. Most cars are front engine front drive, and they handle about as well as a snow plow works in skiing. If you don't know what you are doing, AND you are driving the car VERY near its limits, then it is possible to get in more trouble in a rear-engine car than in a front engine car.

However, any 996 or newer with traction control has so much stability and handling that NO ONE should take it to the limits on the street. AND, if you know how to drive a 911, then are very controllable even AT the limits (on a track).
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I am sceared to death of mine. I will not even sit in it.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM
renaissance.man
Advanced

From what I understand, having a rear engine car is a love-hate relationship. By having the weight over the rear wheels, it allows fast entry into a corner (lighter nose, engine weight provides more traction to rear tires). However, if you upset the weight transfer dynamics in a hard corner by either suddenly lifting the accelerator or hard braking, you transfer the weight to the front tires and unload the back tires. The rear tires with less traction (thanks to the weight transfer to the front), now dramatically understeers, and will try to turn the car around. If you are worried about it - just keep the PSM on.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

What "journalists" are stating that driving a modern 911 is like "throwing a hammer handle first?"

-Eric
Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that my 996 C2's handling makes the car safer than at least 95% of the cars on the road. When I first drove it I was surprised at how nimble but yet stable it was and you can't take it near it's limits on the street. I have driven other sports cars and part of the "engaging" experience comes when you feel like the car is near its limits. Many of these cars would seem like you could get close to the limit in street driving. I would be afraid to take mine to its limits on the street, that is why I autocross and do DEs.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I was always worried about that when I first bought my 996 however I broken it loose on purpose in the snow to see how bad it can be. It's pretty bad if you find your way into that situation but in the dry and rain I've never been in a position from which I have not been able to recover.

Take a driving class so you can explore the limits.

Quick Reply: Are all 911s inherently unsafe?