I guess I'm keeping my car after all

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default I guess I'm keeping my car after all

I've been contemplating upgrading my car to a 996 Turbo for the last couple of months because I knew I had a series of expensive repairs coming up for my car.

Before going through with it though I decided to get an estimate on a few issues I've been having when I was on vacation in Italy for all of last week. I left the car at the dealership because it was convenient and they had just sent me a 15% off coupon.

I received an email from the mechanic and things were just as bad as I thought so I had to make a quick decision. As we were on one of the high speed trains literally flying through Tuscany my wife and I talked and she gave me the freedom to choose. In this case I chose the path that made financial sense instead of the emotional one. I decided to put the money into my car to make it last another 100k+ miles.

So I just picked her up today and here is what was done:

- Replace all ignition coils
- Replace clutch
- Install LN IMS bearing
- Replace a camshaft actuator
- Replace door lock microswitch for driver's side window

Also up for replacement are the catalytic converters and the tires. But I chose to do those on my own because dealer prices were a bit too rich for me.

The dealer was very professional and the tech kept me up to date on everything that was going on when I was out of the country. He said with these repairs, and the new cats my car should last for quite some time.

One note about the IMS bearing, in my case he said my stock bearing was in really good shape even after 113k miles. He did say the installation of the new bearing was actually quite straightforward and believes it is a good design but did mention that my car didn't really need it so it was more of a preventative fix.

My clutch feels pretty good too but now as I asked about earlier today I still need to decide on a new set of cats.

Overall I think the investment of just over $4k was a worthy one considering I have a car that should keep bringing me much enjoyment for the foreseeable future. As for the Turbo, I'd still love to have one but will consider it again at a later point in time.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Ahhh....you didn't fall for the "you can do what ever you want trick". Its all a test.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

I believe you made the right call. If you really like your car the money was well worth it. Since you got a clutch then the IMS made good sense even if the original bearing was in good shape.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It's hard not to make an emotional decision...It seems like you've got most done and are down to cats and tires...I've replied on the other cats thread but I'll state here also...I have speedtech 200 cell cats...they're more into the 996turbos but they have 996 NA units also....a sponsor on the "other" forum also, I've been running their 200 cells almost 30k now hot or cold and haven't had a single issue...no affiliation just trying to save you some which you can use for a set of tires...
Old 03-14-2012, 08:15 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Ahhh....you didn't fall for the "you can do what ever you want trick". Its all a test.
It's amazing that after 10+ years we can actually pick up on some of those subtle cues, eh?

Originally Posted by Porsche87
I believe you made the right call. If you really like your car the money was well worth it. Since you got a clutch then the IMS made good sense even if the original bearing was in good shape.
That's exactly what I thought, plus the extra $700 is well worth the piece of mind it has provided me.

Originally Posted by geetee
It's hard not to make an emotional decision...It seems like you've got most done and are down to cats and tires...I've replied on the other cats thread but I'll state here also...I have speedtech 200 cell cats...they're more into the 996turbos but they have 996 NA units also....a sponsor on the "other" forum also, I've been running their 200 cells almost 30k now hot or cold and haven't had a single issue...no affiliation just trying to save you some which you can use for a set of tires...
Yes the Turbo was calling me as I wanted to explore the additional power and the more "reliable" engine. But it also meant getting back into a car payment which is something I didn't want to do. So in this way I still get to keep a car I love and modify it to my liking.

As for the Speedtech cats, do you know if it does anything for power or sound? The price is certainly right but I noticed they use the factory configuration instead of the "x-pipe" I see others like FVD and Fabspeed use.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Good call Ferdinand. Where can you get a new 996 for around $4000 coz thats what you got when you have the preventative repairs done. Hey and why get shut of such a faithful companion. Do you track your car? A turbo isn't needed unless you do IMHO.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Good call Ferdinand. Where can you get a new 996 for around $4000 coz thats what you got when you have the preventative repairs done. Hey and why get shut of such a faithful companion. Do you track your car? A turbo isn't needed unless you do IMHO.
Well it'll be closer to $7-$8k when all is said and done since I still need the cats and tires. But your point is exactly why I chose this route. The car has been very reliable and getting something else, especially one this is more complicated, felt like more than I wanted to take on right now.

I do track this vehicle but only a handful of times per year and it is also active in autocrossing too. But both of those are secondary activities as this is primarily a daily driver. The track events are just to let me enjoy it in an environment that is safe and legal. I'm still not a good enough driver to exploit even the capabilities this vehicle has so it was more of an itch to try something new since I've had this one for three years.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
As for the Speedtech cats, do you know if it does anything for power or sound? The price is certainly right but I noticed they use the factory configuration instead of the "x-pipe" I see others like FVD and Fabspeed use.
Very slight increase in sound...power feels a little more but haven't dynoed or measured so just going by butt dyno. I don't see how it'll be different than any other company 200 cells.
I have the factory style pipe but they've come out with a xpipe style now.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Turkertwo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently dropped $5K into my '00 for much of the same equipment. I am still pining away for an '04 GT-3, but when you think about the financial fallout, and how many times your are stuck behind the same slowpoke in the Lexus going 40 mph no matter where you drive, you might as well repair/update your current ride.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Liceman
Instructor

+1 for Fernando and Turkertwo

I did the IMS, clutch, flywheel on my '99 back in October prior to a long road trip. A lot of dough, but well spent for the enjoyment and peace of mind.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM
JaxJim
Track Day

Isn't a turbo more expensive to maintain too?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Good call Fernando! It is the wiser choice. Any "new" to you car will also require sorting out after buying a used car. Ask me how I know.... You just spend "the cleaning up" money without spending the buying a new car this way.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

I think you made a good choice to keep your car!

Not as fast as a turbo for sure but they are very easy to live with and enjoy.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Good call Fernando! It is the wiser choice. Any "new" to you car will also require sorting out after buying a used car. Ask me how I know.... You just spend "the cleaning up" money without spending the buying a new car this way.
Big +1 Chao.

I've owned my 03 since June of 09 and I am just about to get it the exact way i want it (with the installation of the ROW M030 suspension). Once it is exactly how I want it I''m just going to drive the **** out of it and enjoy it.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turkertwo
I recently dropped $5K into my '00 for much of the same equipment. I am still pining away for an '04 GT-3, but when you think about the financial fallout, and how many times your are stuck behind the same slowpoke in the Lexus going 40 mph no matter where you drive, you might as well repair/update your current ride.
So true. In daily use I sometimes forget what I'm driving so not until I hit the track am I blown away by it's abilities. But that's what I really like about this car as it is quite comfortable and even practical for daily use yet transforms itself for the track.

Originally Posted by Liceman
+1 for Fernando and Turkertwo

I did the IMS, clutch, flywheel on my '99 back in October prior to a long road trip. A lot of dough, but well spent for the enjoyment and peace of mind.
It is but even so I bought this car at a steep discount so I still feel ahead of the game especially when comparing the price of anything newer from the Porsche brand.

Originally Posted by JaxJim
Isn't a turbo more expensive to maintain too?
True, the engine itself is arguably more reliable and a proven winner but there are more parts and those that are unique to the Turbo tend to cost more. So from a purely financial perspective I made the right move. But buying into these cars is usually more emotionally based so it was a tough choice for me personally.

Originally Posted by chsu74
That's one of the other points I wasn't focusing on too much but knew I would have to consider. Even with a perfect PPI any new acquisition will in time uncover some new issues you never knew existed. So I'd almost be back at square one with some potentially expensive fixes coming up down the road.

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
I think you made a good choice to keep your car!

Not as fast as a turbo for sure but they are very easy to live with and enjoy.
That's for sure, easy 20 minute oil change (most of the time spent waiting for it to drain), I already know how to replace plugs and coils, and fun RWD handling I couldn't get from the other car I was considering.

Originally Posted by soverystout
Big +1 Chao.

I've owned my 03 since June of 09 and I am just about to get it the exact way i want it (with the installation of the ROW M030 suspension). Once it is exactly how I want it I''m just going to drive the **** out of it and enjoy it.
That was the next move I was considering. Where did you get your suspension?

Quick Reply: I guess I'm keeping my car after all