996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

well if you wanted cheap you should have stayed on the porch and bought a chebby

The water pump is way too important to this engine to mess with. Yes poor cooling can lead to engine failure FAAAAAST. I feel its a pay me now or pay me later. and the later is a lot more money.

caugh up the 250 and have piece of mind.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 PM
j-mann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my water pump recently as a preventive thing. 52k. The impellers were Extremely brittle. Super glad I did it!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:02 PM
roperin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with this forum is people get **** about stuff and frighten the hell out of others. I replaced my plastic impeller water pump with a metal one from EBay for $106 at 40,000 miles and the bearing was perfect. and we have done 10,000 miles since and the new one is still perfect. the new one was made by some company in Stuttgart Germany. Looked good to me.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by roperin
The problem with this forum is people get **** about stuff and frighten the hell out of others. I replaced my plastic impeller water pump with a metal one from EBay for $106 at 40,000 miles and the bearing was perfect. and we have done 10,000 miles since and the new one is still perfect. the new one was made by some company in Stuttgart Germany. Looked good to me.
Just know that if the bearing in that pump with the metal impeller ever fails the crankcase will be compromised. The solution to one problem often leads to a situation that can create others.

Lots of people think the metal impeller is the fool proof way to go- experience has taught me otherwise.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 788 Posts

I had my water pump replaced at ~90,000 miles because it was starting to leak. The bearing and the impeller looked fine, but I'm glad I had it done. FWIW - I did the same thing on our Cayenne at ~80,000 miles. Water pumps wear out...
Old 06-10-2012, 02:46 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I am not sure of something - I read boards like this and I typically go to a professional. Someone who has a proven track record and more importantly one that I trust. I called the place I use. Not only are they successful on the track, I grew up with one of them. So in my case, I took their advice. I went with metal and went to 160 stat (which is another topic that has a motor oil tone to it). The article from excellence, although very informative - pretty much reads to me "you are ****** with plastic or metal". I didnt buy a cheap ebay pump - although i did consider it, I bought OEM* made in germinay which of course is the general feeling (at least what I am reading) and to shark attacks point - dont drive porka if you cant afford to forka-ova the money. When removed, My plastic was warped and the bearing was shot. I will admit, I hope that the metal holds up because I can only imagine what kind of little bits of plastic made its way in (and now that i think about it - explains the 3 flushes). Regardless, take the steps to maintain your vehicle properly/as scheduled and things will last a long time. Everyone would agree with that. I have about 3k on my metal pump with no issues.
I have been reading this board for quite some time. Only a member for a short period. That being said, the information posted on this board is priceless. Its kind of like ebay in a sense - whatever you are thinking about you can find. This and another board helped me find the car I bought, helped me identify little tricks and tips and has given me guidance to do little things that I would normally pay someone else to do. To roperin's point, many times people are **** or stubborn and you just have to weed through it. But without those people this board wouldnt been the great source it is. Reading the arguments helps you form your own opinion. But remember "opinions are like ***holes... Everybody has one" Sometimes it comes down to the guy that farts the loudest!!! LOL

*Edit to clarify

OEM meaning OEM not metal or plastic. Mine was OEM Metal, the options were OEM Metal or OEM Plastic

Last edited by piiqmark; 06-10-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The key is just making sure you do something!
Metal or plastic both have their compromises, but both are better than the one thats been in your engine for a decade.

I always remind people that the metal pump is not the be all, end all.. Because they overlook the fact that it can be a negative as they are only focused on solving the impeller blade problem.

Never fear, a true solution is just over the rainbow.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-27-2022)
Old 06-10-2012, 02:55 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The key is just making sure you do something!
Metal or plastic both have their compromises, but both are better than the one thats been in your engine for a decade.

I always remind people that the metal pump is not the be all, end all.. Because they overlook the fact that it can be a negative as they are only focused on solving the impeller blade problem.

well said
Old 06-10-2012, 03:06 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Jake,

Are you familliar with the aftermarket Stewart HP water pump that is used on BMWs? Unlike the factory BMW pump (and the Porsche pump) the metal impellar is enclosed in its own metal case or cylindrical jacket. If the impellar were to wobble around (which to my knowledge, have not heard reports of that with the Stewart pump) it will only make contact with the inside of the case and not the engine itself.

It is a popular, long lived replacement (I have one) for the weak BMW design.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:11 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OK - I'm willing to pop a few hundred for preventative maintenance.

Installation is free and easy for those of us with a set of sockets in our toolbox, so for the price of a few tanks of gas (premium here costs $1.62/litre = $6.13/gallon) why even ask the question?

A question I will ask though is what pump should I order off of Pelican (should I choose to buy from them and not Suncoast). They offer two:

1) OEM supplier Pierburg for $275
2) OEM Porsche for $388

Both are composite impellers. That's good enough for me - I'll change it again in 7 years if I still own the car.

As an aside - it will be interesting to see if the M97 reman motor in my car has a plastic or metal impeller.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
OK - I'm willing to pop a few hundred for preventative maintenance.

Installation is free and easy for those of us with a set of sockets in our toolbox, so for the price of a few tanks of gas (premium here costs $1.62/litre = $6.13/gallon) why even ask the question?

A question I will ask though is what pump should I order off of Pelican (should I choose to buy from them and not Suncoast). They offer two:

1) OEM supplier Pierburg for $275
2) OEM Porsche for $388

Both are composite impellers. That's good enough for me - I'll change it again in 7 years if I still own the car.

As an aside - it will be interesting to see if the M97 reman motor in my car has a plastic or metal impeller.

I ordered the OEM Porsche pump from Pelican last night. The pump shaft was flagged as having some play at my last service and I noticed yesterday my temperature gauge being higher than normal, so I'm taking that as a sign that it's almost time for replacement.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Does that mean you are developing a third option?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DK570
Does that mean you are developing a third option?
Already developed and has been used in our engines. I have not determined if we will market it otherwise due to installation difficulty.

I am also worried that someone would replace a failing pump with this unit and not remove all the prior debris from the system which could lead to failure and our product would get the finger pointing. In today's world its a difficult marketplace to say the least and everyone looks upstream when something happens that isn't positive~
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

And you better hope that you never lose a water pump drive bearing.. When you do that metal impeller will destroy the crankcase by chewing into the aluminum housing. When this happens the system will never build enough cooling system pressure to avoid overheating.

Keep the plastic impeller and change the pump every 3 years despite mileage.

The Excellence article is great this month, their contributor on this article really knows his stuff :-)
Will the extended warranty I have for 30000 miles cover a failed water pump I wonder? I checked the WP about 10000 back when I changed the serpentine belt. It wasn't leaking or rattling or had any untoward movement as I could feel. Then again with having no records with the car, it may have been changed just before I got it. It seems like the best solution is to change the WP every 2 years no matter what. OK I will settle for that. So is the plastic one OK to use for 2 years? or would the Metal one be better?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use your gauge Hurdi LOL.

Sudden change of mind with the wind there.

Quick Reply: Water Pump