Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:04 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump

Hello folks..,

Time to change water pump....

OEM Pump is really expensive so i would like to know if some of you know Beck Arnley as a water Pump manufacturer... less expensive and use the composite impeller....
Thanks

Robert
2000 C4
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stick with the OEM pump. Been there done that with el'cheapo. I ripped mine out after 100 miles, it was already leaking.

No sense risking a $15000 engine on saving a $100 on a water pump.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought Jake a flat6 said water pump failure can also lead to cracked heads.
http://www.flat6innovations.com/pre-...#mce_temp_url#
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
I thought Jake a flat6 said water pump failure can also lead to cracked heads.
http://www.flat6innovations.com/pre-...#mce_temp_url#
Pump failure leads to a complete melt down of the entire engine, including cracked heads.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-27-2022)
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Sunset Porsche WP $220. I also debate about going cheap, but I decided that anything critical, I'm going OEM. I did just order an aftermarket widow regulator out of curiosity and realize it may have been a mistake, but that doesn't put anything at risk like the motor or suspension.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

do it right, do it once....also vote for OEM WP.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Just to be sure before to order the new OEM water pump...

When the engine is running do you hear or can you hear the water pump or not
When I'm under the car with the engine running i can hear a little whistle cumming from the WP.....is that normal

Thanks

Robert
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had a slight squeal at idle, up to about 2500 and then it would fade out. That was the beginning of the end of that pump... the bearing was so shot by the time it was removed (at best 200 miles on the failing pump while making that sound) that it was rubbing the case. Impeller wasnt broken - thankfully it was the plastic P-O-S impeller otherwise it might have been a real mess... Make sure your new pump has the metal impeller, I am told it is a MUST have when you replace it.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by piiqmark
Mine had a slight squeal at idle, up to about 2500 and then it would fade out. That was the beginning of the end of that pump... the bearing was so shot by the time it was removed (at best 200 miles on the failing pump while making that sound) that it was rubbing the case. Impeller wasnt broken - thankfully it was the plastic P-O-S impeller otherwise it might have been a real mess... Make sure your new pump has the metal impeller, I am told it is a MUST have when you replace it.
The OEM pumps don't use metal impellers and that POS polymer impeller may saved your engine block. Everyone wants to worry about plastic pieces getting caught in a water jacket. What about milled pieces of aluminum coming from the block as the steel impeller cuts into it. Be proactive and replace the pump every coouple of years. Don't wait for the sounds.

Buy OEM with the polymer impeller.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, just got my new water pump from Sunset Porsche and it is the polymer impeller. I also bought one of the non-OEM ones from E-bay to save money but after reading the forums decided against installing it. When comparing the two side by side you can notice the quality difference, especially when spinning the pulley and the feel of the bearing. Stay with OEM!

David
Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Pump failure leads to a complete melt down of the entire engine, including cracked heads.
Not if you watch the temp gauge. If it goes to 200 from 180 then stop, theres something amiss needs looking at. Thats the time to change the water pump. Not when theres buggar all wrong with the one you have. Thank god for the scare mongers. If we had to take notice and upgrade everything they are selling, we may as well go flat out and buy a new engine. Whats the point in buying a 996 at a very reasonable price then spending all kinds of cash on upgrading the engine as soon as we get the car? We might as well have gone for a $50000 later model.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Thanks folks...,

I finally bought the OEM water pump....i will probably receive it within 2 days...just the time to take off the old one....
Thanks again

Robert
2000 C4
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by porsches996
Just to be sure before to order the new OEM water pump...

When the engine is running do you hear or can you hear the water pump or not
When I'm under the car with the engine running i can hear a little whistle cumming from the WP.....is that normal

Thanks

Robert
If the pump is bad it should make some noise. What kind of noise varies. When I had what proved to be bad pump on my Boxster there was a vague rumbly/grumbling sound. I had to remove the belt and start the cold engine to determine the noise was not coming from *inside* the engine.

Now a whistle noise might arise from the belt if the pump's bad enough the water pump pulley is out of position (due to excessive water pump bearing/shaft play) that the belt rubs on the side of the pulley. It also 'rubs' on each V groove that accepts one of the ribs of the belt.

However, while my car's belt was obviously rubbing -- the inside edge of a rather new belt was sharp while a belt that had been in service for thousands of miles had no sharp edges -- it was not making a whistling noise.

Besides noise the water pump can be leaking fluid. Look for any signs of any wetness around the water pump. The best time to look for this is to get the car/engine nice and hot -- assuming the water pump does not have any play at its pulley/shaft -- and then shut off the engine.

Carefully look for signs of coolant fluid coming from behind the pulley and running down the water pump casting. The fluid is hot and it will flash to vapor soon so you have to look sharp. You can shine a light and look behind there, though you may need mirror on a stick/swivel to get a good view. Also, use your nose. If you smell antifreeze... it is coming from the pump, but of course you have to eliminate the possibility it is coming from a bad coolant tank, a leaking cap, or from some other leak in the cooling system.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Originally Posted by soverystout
The OEM pumps don't use metal impellers and that POS polymer impeller may saved your engine block. Everyone wants to worry about plastic pieces getting caught in a water jacket. What about milled pieces of aluminum coming from the block as the steel impeller cuts into it. Be proactive and replace the pump every coouple of years. Don't wait for the sounds.

Buy OEM with the polymer impeller.
I dont disagree with your point either way its a gamble - plastic can break off, metal can break off - the place where I take my car (well respected in these parts) tells me no plastic, i went with metal. Fact is you are 100% correct, preventing failure buy replacing proactively is the way to go - in my case I noticed the sound and I had 150 miles to go.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-27-2022)
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Subscribers to Excellence have likely seen this - but this link will open a great tech article on M96 water pumps https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B66...DJ3dXlLUjVDRTg

Quick Reply: Water Pump