Sponsored by:

Cleaning / Sealing Cab Top

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Gray is a PITA. I'm almost wishing mine would fail so I can replace it with black. I get a small grease spot on mine where it folds into a hinge. I can get it out with Dawn and a tooth brush, but it comes back.
I think I have the same problem
Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wyovino
Zurichgnome, I like your method as it should reduce the amount of spray going into my lungs. Is one spray bottle of Raggtop enough to do a top when you paint it on? Is there much of a difference between Raggtop and 303? I think Raggtop is only available on the Internet.

I use 303 and paint it on a few times a year. A bottle goes a long way -- should be able to do the top 3-4 times.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM
feds
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wyovino
Zurichgnome, I like your method as it should reduce the amount of spray going into my lungs. Is one spray bottle of Raggtop enough to do a top when you paint it on? Is there much of a difference between Raggtop and 303? I think Raggtop is only available on the Internet.
I always vacuum my top before cleaning it. This gets out most of the dirt and prevents trapping it in the material. It makes a big difference.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Having trouble sourcing Raggtop and 303 locally, and I'd like to clean and seal the top today. Are any of the products that are sold in the chain auto stores worthwhile, or should I just bite the bullet and wait?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I The idea is to brush it on, let it sit for about 30 minutes or so to loosen the grime, they scrub it out with a plastic bristle brush while hitting the area that I am scrubbing with a flow of water. After that, let it dry overnight, and then re-coat with RaggTopp.

Thoughts on this approach?
I woud suggest getting soft bristle brush intended for fabric top cleaning which you can get from detailing supply outfits, I would be concerned with scuffing the fabric with a brush that is too stiff.

This is the one I use http://www.eshine.ca/natural_horse_h...brush-2007.php
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Bringing up a old post.....Anyone use the new product "Never Wet"?http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...4232/204216476
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Bringing up a old post.....Anyone use the new product "Never Wet"?http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...4232/204216476
I haven't, but don't think I would risk either after reading the description:

- Guards against corrosion and wear caused by exposure to moisture
- Low odor, 2-step process, easy application and usage
Suitable for use on metal, wood, aluminum, galvanized metal, PVC, concrete, masonry, asphalt, vinyl siding, fiberglass, canvas, most plastics and more
- Not intended to be applied to electronic devices or clothing
- Sprays clear and dries to a flat, frosted haze, may cause items to change color or sheen and is more noticeable on dark colored objects, test in an inconspicuous area first
- May leave a slightly chalky feel to treated objects
- Dries fast 30 minutes to touch
- 2-step kit covers 10 - 15 sq. ft
The coverage is about 1 treatment for the convertible, so it's more expensive than just the Raggtopp spray.

Plus this says nothing about UV protection, which is an even more significant issue, at least for me as I avoid driving the Cab if there is a risk of rain.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Not sure about it's use for convertible tops, but I've heard the issue with this stuff is that it doesn't last.

Quick Reply: Cleaning / Sealing Cab Top