Sponsored by:

Cleaning / Sealing Cab Top

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:25 PM
j-mann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning / Sealing Cab Top

Just purchased my 996 Cab 3 months ago and I when I wash it I noticed that the top soaked up the water. I ordered 'Raggtopp' brand cleaner and RaggTopp Protectant off the internet. (total $35) The cleaner is a pump spray bottle and the protector is an aerosol spray can. The process was:

1) Got the top completely wet and rinsed off loose particles.

2) Sprayed on the cleaner. The directions said to use a terry cloth, soft brush or sponge. I actually found a rectangular sponge with a plastic handle at the auto supply that was made to spread tire shine. it was only a $1 - worked great. Sprayed and scrubed softly - repeated. My top was not really dirty and is black, so the cleaning part went pretty quick.

3) Then the top had to completely dry before applying the Protectant. I left the car in the garage until the next day.

4) Now, since the directions said to "immediately wipe any overspray off of glass, paint etc"... I decided to go ahead and mask off the entire car using blue painters tape ($4) and 1 roll of 10' x 20' of 1mm thick plastic drop cloth ($3.50). The masking of the glass, body, rear window and EVERYTHING that wasn't canvas top took me several hours - not really rushing, just enjoying tinkering with my car.

5) Then it was time to remove any small bits of lint, dust etc... Recently I went to the auto show and bought a sticky roller that you can wash off with warm water. They advertise them on TV to use on everything from pet hair on clothes to upholstery etc. This thing works great! I use it weekly for that clean look. Anyway, rolled the top.

6) It was time to Protect. Sprayed 18" to 24" from the top in sweeping motion. The directions said to let dry 15 minutes between coats - I waited an hour. Ended up applying 4 coats. Finished it late yesterday and it looks great. Here's a tip - don't touch it after you spray it - just let it dry.

Overall, it was a fun job and I got great results. Then I went ahead and polished the rear window using the Porsche plastic window polish ($7) to complete the project.

J
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Very nice. I need to re-seal my top as well. Did you find that it freshed (darkened) up the top again? I have a can of the Porsche top sealant left over from my 87 cab.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
j-mann
Advanced

My top was still pretty dark but it still did darken it a little.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Nice write-up. I intend to do it soon. Btw- My 2000 Cab has the same color combo and the same wheels.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice and detailed!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 PM
j-mann
Advanced

My Savanna Beige interior has a few scratches on the console, seat adjuster and dash. Have you repaired any scuffs or replaced any interior components?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I touched up my console, which was a bit scuffed when I bought the car. I popped out the ashtray and took it to Home Depot to have the paint matched in interior flat enamel. ( Behr Ultra paint and primer combined).

1. Put a very small amount of the paint into a paper cup - just several drops. This way, if you knock it over you won't get paint all over the place.

2. Use a small foam brush and blot the paint where needed. Let dry and retouch as necessary.

3. When thoroughly dry, polish with a terry cloth or other coarse rag to smooth out any ridges.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy Moly, that looks like a lot of work! Here's a shortcut and tape saver. Get the Raggtop or 303. Pour it in a cup get a paint brush and literally paint it on. Has always worked well for me and allows a great degree of control. Can really do a great job on the seams. Also, the lint rollers are ok. But the old fasion, velour-type lint brushes work 10 times better and do not leach color onto tape/adhesive.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Zurichgnome, I like your method as it should reduce the amount of spray going into my lungs. Is one spray bottle of Raggtop enough to do a top when you paint it on? Is there much of a difference between Raggtop and 303? I think Raggtop is only available on the Internet.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done this a couple of times and just spray it on. Good for you with the taping, but any over spray releases immediately from glass and paint once it's dry. Just wipe with a damp cloth.

Looks good though.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:04 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this project last weekend with the 303. I didn't go to this extreme in masking everything. I partially opened the top with the rear cover up, then draped several moving blankets (very soft) over everything but the nose. No taping off. Didn't bother to cover the glass. This worked well and the glass was easy to clean. I think I got a little darkening but I have the gray top. Nothing significant. Wish I would have done the lint brush step. Will definitely do that step next time.

The protectant had the most dulling effect on the side plastic trims but nothing permanent. I just hit them with trim protectant/ restorer and they look new again.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. Love your car. Was THIS close to buying same color combo, but wife really wanted blue, so I ended up with Ocean Metallic/Savanna Beige.

Anyway, thank you again.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Thanks for the post. I use the Raggtop product as well. I have a 03 Cab with a grey top. Does anyone know how to remove "grease or grease like" marks off the top? Also I find there are circular marks from the rubber when the top is down. Any idea how to brush these off or can't?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a grey top on my 02 Cab as well, and after 10 years, even though I have always used raggtopp on it, never drive the car in the rain, and always park it in the garage, it is starting to look a little dingy from dirt and road grunge, so this spring I plan on giving it a good cleaning with a diluted solution of Spray & Wash Laundry Stain Remover. The idea is to brush it on, let it sit for about 30 minutes or so to loosen the grime, they scrub it out with a plastic bristle brush while hitting the area that I am scrubbing with a flow of water. After that, let it dry overnight, and then re-coat with RaggTopp.

Thoughts on this approach?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hopeforcash
Thanks for the post. I use the Raggtop product as well. I have a 03 Cab with a grey top. Does anyone know how to remove "grease or grease like" marks off the top? Also I find there are circular marks from the rubber when the top is down. Any idea how to brush these off or can't?
Gray is a PITA. I'm almost wishing mine would fail so I can replace it with black. I get a small grease spot on mine where it folds into a hinge. I can get it out with Dawn and a tooth brush, but it comes back.

Quick Reply: Cleaning / Sealing Cab Top