Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Maxflo Comp Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fabspeed Maxflo Comp Intake

It's been awhile since this has been discussed. I wanted get the opinion of those who have the Fabspeed Maxflo Competetion Intake. How is it? Any MAS fouling issues? Performance? Overall impressions. I'm digg'n the Carbon Fiber design.

http://www.fabspeed.com/996_GT3_64.html

Last edited by Slopeslider; 03-20-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
2300cc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed this about a month ago, I bought it used and I am pretty happy with it. The fitment was good but it took a lot of finessing to get it to fit just perfectly so the hood would close without hitting anything. Besides that I am quite pleased and there is definitely an increase in sound with throttle input and I am also running maxflo mufflers. As far as power goes I can't say that I notice a big kick in the pants but the throttle response is improved.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/intake_copy10.jpg
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Slopeslider
It's been awhile since this has been discussed.
You mean other then the fact your sucking in warm(er) engine bay air then the factory stock air box flows into your engine? Other then performance losses, nothing much to discuss...

Take a look at the 997 double air intake box that flows fresh air from the engine cover straight into the air box which are sealed from the engine bay. There is a good reason for this design.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
You mean other then the fact your sucking in warm(er) engine bay air then the factory stock air box flows into your engine? Other then performance losses, nothing much to discuss...

Take a look at the 997 double air intake box that flows fresh air from the engine cover straight into the air box which are sealed from the engine bay. There is a good reason for this design.
When you're moving though there shouldn't be a lot of warm air in the engine bay. And when you're stopped or in traffic then you really don't need all the power. Am I mistaken in this thinking?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's worth asking yourself if replacing the MAFS now and then will affect your enjoyment of the CAI, because it's quite possible you will. I have the EVOMS CAI, and have replaced my MAFS twice in the last 6 years or so. I can't promise you there's a connection - my mechanic says MAFS are consumables on these cars - but it's hard to ignore the possibility. Better to weigh it into the equation.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by fpena944
When you're moving though there shouldn't be a lot of warm air in the engine bay.
If you have the Durametric software, you can run a laptop on your seat connected to the OB2 port and record real time data points while you drive.

One of these points you can select is engine bay temp which is pulled off the engine bay sensor located between one of the passenger side intake runners. The sensor controls your engine bay fan. You would be surprised at how hot it can get inside the engine area while just cruising on the highway even with the wing in the up position.

Replacing the cooler air that is directed into the factory air intake by the wing with the much warmer air under the engine cover WILL affect the fuel air mixtures as controlled by the DME. Most people won't notice it under normal street driving conditions but track days you can notice it on very hot days. Bottom line is heat kills power - it's why (extreme example) turbo's use inter coolers.

And when you're stopped or in traffic then you really don't need all the power. Am I mistaken in this thinking?
You want to find a product that isolates the air intake and it's supply from the engine bay heat. There are several options and products you can select to do this. I haven't checked myself but there have been posts around here that 'claim' the 997 intake housing fits in a 996. There are also intakes that use the cone air filters but seal off and enclose them inside a carbon housing and connect this to the factory plastic inlet under the bonnet for fresh air. There is also a side benefit of 'some' ram air this way.

The GT3RS with double intake is the factory solution, more air, ram affect with the lip on the wing and cooler air.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like overall no one is a big fan vs. stock. I don't want to sacrifice performance in anyway. Does a drop in K&N filter make positive difference in throttle response?

Torontoworker what are the other RAM air options you were referring to?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Intake sound can be improved by capping the intake bypass. Search for a schnell intake hose, fabspeed sells the same hose and cap for twice as much. The intake sound will improve slightly but no power gain. I use this mod along a BMC filter. The factory airbox is fine. If you decide on aftermarket, use an evolution motorsports intake. Be prepared to part with $500+
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like overall no one is a big fan vs. stock.
I wouldn't say that. It's just that CAIs are one of those things that tend to produce multi-page religious flame wars on forums like this.

You just have to bear in mind that the existing airbox was not designed with maximizing horsepower as its sole objective (neither was anything, for that matter), and consider what you're trading off and what you're getting in return.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Karl996
Advanced

At the risk of being flamed I have the K&N kit which uses a snorkel to channel air from the tail to the filter. Admittedly the filter is of the the open type.

Also should point out that the car has a GT3 spoiler or so I was told when I bought it.

After doing some data logging I've noticed the following.

Anything below 30mph and the intake air temperature (IAT) is high. Anything above 30mph and the IAT plummets quickly to a few degrees above ambient and stays there.

If stopped at a traffic light or parked for a while the IAT climbs quickly.

I guess it's all about air flow.

Should also point out that I am not sure where the IAT sensor is but I suspect somewhere on the inlet tract. Would be nice to know if someone could point this out to me.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
2300cc
Instructor

I ran the red Schnell intake hose before I did the exhaust on my car and I honestly did not notice any increase in sound unfortunately, if there is any it is very very slight.

Originally Posted by Hardback
Intake sound can be improved by capping the intake bypass. Search for a schnell intake hose, fabspeed sells the same hose and cap for twice as much. The intake sound will improve slightly but no power gain. I use this mod along a BMC filter. The factory airbox is fine. If you decide on aftermarket, use an evolution motorsports intake. Be prepared to part with $500+
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most intakes are laughable at best, for example I had the Schnell intake with the red cap what a joke! My Indy told me I gained a half of 1hp (.5) or less not worth it. The best thing to do is a custom RAM Air double intake from a GT3 with a new engine lid all the parts you need to convert it etc. The other choice is find out an intake design used by world class 996 race cars. I would advise in some heat resistant material wrap for maximum cooling.

Lastly I believe BMC air filters are the best as far as filtration goes.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Karl996
Would be nice to know if someone could point this out to me.
It's between the intake runners on passenger side. It's mounted with a rubber grommet.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Torontoworker what are the other RAM air options you were referring to?
I have a GT3 wing (replaced the OEM powered unit) with the top mounted intakes so I mod'd up a ram intake out of aluminum inside the edge of the intake slots that funnels all of the air down into the factory plastic intake.

The other solution if you want to spend a lot of money at a Porsche parts counter is to buy the twin intake set up as I suggested before or some of the insanely priced after market pieces in carbon, one of which I saw listed at $1500.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Karl996
Advanced

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
It's between the intake runners on passenger side. It's mounted with a rubber grommet.
Thanks for that. I'm learning something new every day about this car.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Maxflo Comp Intake