Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Awesome!! Thanks.
Sucks about the pot hole
Yah it does, now where it happened has spider cracks in the paint, slight bend in the bumper and it looks off. It would need it fixed, paint fixed and the front bumper redone with clear bra. I just had it all re-sprayed and clear-bra'd prior to it happening so I am going to leave it for now.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
ZoSo1112
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ jumper..exactly what i would like to do..not too dark tints..i have a C4S Artic Silver w/ Boxster red interior ..looking at your tints just made my decision and now i'm thinking of the lowering springs (just worried about clearance, i already bottom out a lot of places). Thanks for the info! and awesome looking C4S!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ronnnnn Burgandy.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

There was a big European (mostly VW though) car cruise this weekend called the Port Townsend Cruise. Came across a couple pics of my car from it:

Last edited by Capt. Obvious; 04-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
trendy996
Banned

Quick question. I was looking at eastwood fender rollers and I noticed it said it wont Work on Porsche cars bc it only goes up to 120mm and not to the 130mm. How did you get yours to fit?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

You have two options: One is to buy the "truck" version of the fender roller from Eastwood, which is the same tool, but the part that bolts to the hub supports larger bolt diameters, but won't work on cars with bolt circle diameters below 125ish mm. The other option is to modify the fender roller, which is what I did. I just enlarged the holes until they were big enough to bolt to the car.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

paint and/or install the bar yet?

Got mine painted metallic silver but my install was delayed due to realizing i need seat belt receptacle extensions to properly accommodate my seats.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

No, haven't installed it yet. My friend does powdercoating on the side and he has a "chrome" powdercoat he really wanted me to see, so he did a test section of one of the cross bars for me. I haven't had a chance to swing by and see it yet. If it doesn't look how I want it to (most of the "chrome" powercoats I've seen just look like a bright silver, so I'm skeptical), I'm gonna strip it back down and get it painted Arctic Silver.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
trendy996
Banned

I figured that's what you had done. Just wanted to verify it.
I was about to buy one to roll my fenders out for my 18x11 ET53 wheels on my narrow body.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

The roll cage finally went in this last weekend. Holy crap, what a pain in the ***! I had to remove both seats and the center console to get that son of a bastard in there, and the cage I have (Agency Power) is supposedly one of the easier cages to install.

My friend Dave runs a powerdercoating business, so he stripped the cage for me and powdercoated a test section with a "chrome" powdercoat he has. It actually turned out really good, but it wasn't quite convincing enough for me. If my car didn't have anything else chrome/polished on it, it would have worked though, but it just didn't look right next to actual polished metal.

At this point, I just wanted to get the cage in the car so it can be "finished" for now and I can just drive and enjoy it for the rest of the year. So, I painted the cage with some satin black paint on Saturday and went to install it Sunday morning.

Round 1: "Hmm, looks like if I put the seats all the way forward I can Tetris this sucker in here." Nope.

Round 2: "Rookie mistake, it needs to go in THIS way." Nope.

Round 3: "Guess I have to yank to seats. Damnit, I don't have the special inverted Torx bit needed to remove the bolts." Off to O'Reilly's.

Round 4: Seats out, center console out as a precaution, cage wrangled into the car. The front mounts line up just about perfect. The rear mounts are about 4" away from where they are supposed to be. The cage needs to come back out, again.

Round 5: After some sweet-*** backyard engineering involving a floor jack, a pressure-treated 2x6 and a 5 feet long 4/5" diameter solid steal rod I happened to have laying around (thank Dog) I was able to coax the cage back to its intended shape (I'm assuming it got damaged during shipping or something). Unfortunately, the fresh paint is now a bit screwed up, but I need to at least do one last test fit to make sure it fits now before I repaint it. After some more Matrix-like **** I finally get that mother****** in place and it fits perfect now. At this point, I don't care about the paint anymore so I say "screw it" and bolt it in.

It looks really good in the car and definitely gives it that "this car means business" look. The places where the paint got screwed up aren't really noticeable unless you're really examining the car, so I'll live with it for now. I want to get a few small things repainted over the winter, so I'll pull the cage again when that happens and get it painted Arctic Silver like I originally intended. I'm just glad I didn't spend the money right away to get it professionally painted, or that would have been a couple hundred dollars down the drain.

Lesson learned: Always test-fit aftermarket parts, even the stuff for Porsches can fit like poo.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 AM
robert r
Racer

Late to the party, but congrats. And a great thread.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Welp, time for my first bit of unscheduled maintenance on the car.

Went out to my car to go get lunch yesterday and noticed a puddle of water under the car. This was the second or third time it's happened in the last couple weeks, but I'd chalked it up to AC condenser drips. This time, it dawned on me it was coming from the back of the car, not from the AC.

Sure enough, I kneel under the car and look at the water pump and there's a few drops of coolant coming from behind the pulley.

The good news: It isn't making any noise and the temp wasn't high, so I'm pretty sure it's a seal failure rather than the traditional "impeller broke apart" failure so I'm not worried about having to fish chunks of plastic out of the block.

The bad news: The good spring/summer weather FINALLY got here and I was so damn excited to finally be able to enjoy the car in the sun and now it has to sit in the driveway until my parts get here and I have time to work on it.

Time to order a new water pump. Anyone find any good deals on OEM replacements lately? Pelican Parts is the cheapest I've found so far.

Oh, and a picture from a get together I went to last week for good measure:

(don't mind the droopy exhaust tip, I've been wrestling with those stupid clamps for weeks now, I guess it's time I dropped the money on some new ones...)
Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

mmmm....deep dish.

-Eric

P.S. I'm sure you've heard that Anchorman 2 is coming out soon.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand is the bar? Car looks Great!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

That's the Agency Power cage.

Quick Reply: A proper introduction and some progress