Sponsored by:

996 Engine Rebuild Stops Play

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Z4k26
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Engine Rebuild Stops Play

Hi! I am about to purchase my first 996, quite excited. When I went to see the car it had a small oil leak and blue smoke from the left exhaust. I read up on it all and based on what's out there information wise i felt massively put off! They seem to be time bombs waiting to consume your money. However I went ahead and the company offered to look into it all. 2 months later the car is down to have the cylinder liners resealed, bearings and cases replaced and new head. I believe this would be an engine rebuild?

I am worried buying this car is going to be problematic given it needed this work done on it. Everything else about the car is perfect for me, what I have been searching for for ages. Please could someone advise if my concerns are warranted? And if I should go ahead.

Many thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Why would you still consider this car? Can you post the for sale link? Who is doing the work? Why not buy a car with a healthy motor? Ill stop here.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Z4k26
AutoX

I guess because it has the GT3 kit, cab, well kept interior, only 60kon the clock and I am in effect getting a new engine. I thought that was a good thing?

I can't send the link as it has been taken off the showroom. So you think regardless of the engine rebuild this is not a god way to go. Problem is Carey I cant find another spec like it for sale as I don't want the face lift version
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Z4k26
Hi! I am about to purchase my first 996, quite excited. When I went to see the car it had a small oil leak and blue smoke from the left exhaust. I read up on it all and based on what's out there information wise i felt massively put off! They seem to be time bombs waiting to consume your money. However I went ahead and the company offered to look into it all. 2 months later the car is down to have the cylinder liners resealed, bearings and cases replaced and new head. I believe this would be an engine rebuild?

I am worried buying this car is going to be problematic given it needed this work done on it. Everything else about the car is perfect for me, what I have been searching for for ages. Please could someone advise if my concerns are warranted? And if I should go ahead.

Many thanks
Totally depends on what is being done & if it's done correctly. Find out EXACTLY what has been done, I doubt they are replacing the cases & buying a NEW head.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Z4k26
AutoX

Thanks. No they are relining the cylinders new bearings small and big plus cases and replacing head with an X-ray'd and approved refurbished one. The only this that isn't being changed is the int shaft because it is in good condition. There is also a gaurentee on all works
Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Who is doing the rebuild?

If the motor needs new cases (plural? and a new head) then none of this makes sense. There is nothing to rebuild if the cases are damaged.

I think you may be in over your head. Do yourself a favor and find another car and make sure you have a qualified Porsche mechanic do a thorough PPI.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Z4k26
AutoX

Got it! Thanks Carey, I will knock this one on the head then and look for another. Hopefully it doesn't mean another year of searching!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Could you tell us the VIN and seller so we can avoid this car also.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

It is possible the engine is rebuilt better than new & offered at a bargain price.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Rebuild Stops Play