996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car wax, what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Feds has it right. Its what you do to the paint under the wax will depend what your final outcome is.

I did a clay bar last year, then 10 coats of Liquid GLass (found at most auto parts stores) and the car is a diamond.

I have been using LG since i was a kid and i have to say the paint on all my cars always held up. Even a red corvette in florida that was not garaged in 3 years. <== and thats saying something, red on fiberglass in 100f sun for 3 years.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use LG a long time ago too but it's not as good as it used to be. I tried zaino an griot though and they aren't much better plus they have alot of gimmicks. I look on consumerreports (which I don't swear by) but they claim NuFinish paste was the best in their test however it seems CS believe the others were so poor that they had no choice but to choose NuFinsh.

IMO, the best thing is to get a good polish to prep and clean the paint then almost any wax will work just fine.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

prep work is most important, after that you could throw on $2 a tin turtle wax from walmart and it would look great.

i use meguairs ultimate and am happy with it, but after trying dozens of products, I just can't tell the bloody difference.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Excactly. However if you put 10 coats of Liquid Glass on your well prepped car like shark did I have to say, back years ago, it would look unreal but back then my car was Ruby Pearl.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
prep work is most important, after that you could throw on $2 a tin turtle wax from walmart and it would look great.

i use meguairs ultimate and am happy with it, but after trying dozens of products, I just can't tell the bloody difference.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

I've used Griot's products for the last few years, and they work well for me.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:27 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Dodo Juice. Awesome stuff!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
911mike99
Instructor

Griots on both my BMWs & Zaino on my Porsche. Both work great for me!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

for a straight wax, you guys are going to laugh. But I get better results with good Ol cheap paste turtle wax. It does a better job than any straigt wax. Often we get blind sided by hype.... Wax is actually like wine. Some of the best are really not that expensive.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
for a straight wax, you guys are going to laugh. But I get better results with good Ol cheap paste turtle wax. It does a better job than any straigt wax. Often we get blind sided by hype.... Wax is actually like wine. Some of the best are really not that expensive.
You know what, you're not kidding... for a final hard coat, I found that it works pretty darn well. If you look into the economics of it, they manufacture and sell more of that stuff than all others combined, so that might have something to do with the price (economy of scale and what not).

Now with Glaze coat, that is def. a different story. This is what actually brings out the shine but offers no protection, and different glazes work differently on each color.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anything Carnuba based, especially on darker cars. Silicone based is a PITA to wipe completely off unless it's very cold or low humidity.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
If you read many consumer type reports they still state that for the cost Turtle Wax is the best wax to use. It gives great protection, goes on and comes off easily and lasts quite long.

Quick Reply: Car wax, what do you recommend?