XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What did your chain guide look like?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen a Boxster S M96 cam chain jump the cam sprockets and cause a catastrophic failure. It actually blew out part of the case wall when it jumped. Strangely enough, the chain fell back in place after the engine stopped. When we tore it apart the chain initially seemed fine. We never did conclusively figure out what caused the chain to jump.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to change the thread title but it didn't seem to work - mods?

As for Weissach, I have no animosity towards them. I think they are a really good shop and it was an honest diagnosis on their part due to the signs. It would have cost me a thousand or more (instead of $100) for them to drop the engine and "check" if it was the IMS. They knew the engine had major damage and in their eyes, it needed replacing.

From what I understand, when an engine gets damaged like mine it just gets replaced, period. That's the standard procedure. Porsche technicians do not rebuild engines, they "repair". The only people who actually rebuild are the Porsche factory, and specialty people like Jake Raby, Jeff Alton, etc. The symptoms I had could certainly be attributed to an IMS bearing failure so in their eyes it was a "replace" regardless. I'm not saying the IMS thing isn't real, it is, but maybe too many engines are sent back as cores without checking. I wouldn't have known - I'd still be thinking it was the IMS if I went for a new engine.

As Jasper said, I'm "not out of the woods yet" - it's still going to cost me a bundle to repair. And I have to get that sucker back in there!!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think LA Dismantler has some engines.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
billyboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Targatoo
ext time I'm in White Rock visiting my bro, maybe we can meet up for a beer
Absolutely! Send me off a note when you are coming West. And hopefully I'll be driving my car ....
Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billyboy, thanks for posting this thread. It is encouraging to see the facilities you have for a successful engine removal, a lot more representative for many than the massive garages with engine lifts that some have and others dream about!

Cheers Ben
Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Great news, glad you were able to get into it and take a look!

Let me know if you need some assistance in the future, things appear to be going OK though! Our calendar clears abit after mid June when we hope to open in a new location.

Again, good to see the DIY guy making headway, congrats!

Cheers
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Edited the title of the thread as per Billyboy's request.

Glad to hear it was not a catastrophic failure!

Best,
Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=billyboy;9560264]I tried to change the thread title but it didn't seem to work - mods?

As for Weissach, I have no animosity towards them. I think they are a really good shop and it was an honest diagnosis on their part due to the signs. It would have cost me a thousand or more (instead of $100) for them to drop the engine and "check" if it was the IMS. They knew the engine had major damage and in their eyes, it needed replacing.

From what I understand, when an engine gets damaged like mine it just gets replaced, period. That's the standard procedure. Porsche technicians do not rebuild engines, they "repair". The only people who actually rebuild are the Porsche factory, and specialty people like Jake Raby, Jeff Alton, etc. The symptoms I had could certainly be attributed to an IMS bearing failure so in their eyes it was a "replace" regardless. I'm not saying the IMS thing isn't real, it is, but maybe too many engines are sent back as cores without checking. I wouldn't have known - I'd still be thinking it was the IMS if I went for a new engine.

3-4 years ago replacement was the only option as Porsche dealer techs were not authorized to rebuild M96/97 engines. I don't think that has changed yet at the dealer level.

Glad the damage is less than you thought!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche dealers are currently authorized to -and are- rebuilding or fixing engines for customers. I was looking into buying the tools when I started rebuilding them last year. They're hard to come by, Porsche seems to have only a handful that they pass amongst the dealers. I ended up making my own tools btw.

It's also been my experience that almost any engine failure with an M96 is quickly labeled "IMS failure", it's a self feeding loop as more and more people ask about it and get similar responses from other people that've heard of the same thing.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:28 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

This thread almost warrants a sticky.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM
billyboy
Racer

Thanks for your support Jeff

Thanks Bob
Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM
billyboy
Racer

Default Update

Well folks, I have a broken chain. I'm hoping there can't be too much collateral damage from that other than damaged valves on that bank but I will have to go a little deeper to find out. No debris when I opened it up so that's good. I did some searching on the forum and it doesn't look like this is a common problem. Curious.

Last edited by billyboy; 08-10-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Turn the 3 on that side to TDC and do a leak down test. That should tell you where what's next for your motor. Maybe you'll get lucky....
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM
billyboy
Racer

^ thanks .... but just thinking - do I have to split the case to replace a chain?

Quick Reply: Engine is damaged - not an IMS failure!