Sponsored by:

Sunroof issue can use some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sunroof issue can use some help

Maybe someone can shed some insight into what is up with my sunroof.
It stopped working all of a sudden but if you played with the switch it would work intermittently and the tilt functions worked fine it was just when you toggled button to rear that there was an issue. So I figured oh easy fix the switch is bad, ordered switch and swapped it out. Viola' it worked. Took it for a drive and the more I actually played around with it the more I realized it's not working like it used to.
It was always one touch open/close now I 50% of the time it's one touch close 50% of the time it hold to close. One touch open is a hit an miss BUT, if you tilt it first then close it it will one touch no problem? The motors seem fine speed once it gets going is good, no binding tracks are clean and I lubricated them a little.

WTF? It's like it has lost its mind. Any ideas or where I can start trying to figure out what is happening?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a reprogramming sequence I can post up when I get home from work. If I remember correctly if fails to maintain the reprogramming then the motor is at fault.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

wow i have the exact same issue and it started in January. I thought it was the Cold Winter. But its still the same i have to press back and forth to close it and its not One-Touch any more. I use my Sunroof almost eveytime im in the car
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 AM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here ya go................

Teaching lifting/sliding roof drive
1. With the ignition switched on, press the lift button and move the lifting/sliding roof drive to the "raised"
limit position.
2. Press lift button again and keep depressed. After around 10 seconds, a complete cycle takes place from
the raised limit position to the positions "lower  open  close". Teaching of the characteristics has been
completed after this process.
Note: The lift button must not be released during the entire process. In the event of a restart, the
lifting/sliding roof must always be moved to the limit position first.
3. If the lifting/sliding roof drive should move back in Item 1, then the closing force limitation function has
responded (lifting/sliding force drive was taught). The open button must be re−taught in this case.
1 Press the open button until the sliding roof stops. Then release the button. Press the open button
again until the lifting/sliding roof drive stops again. Then release the button.
2 Press the open button again and keep depressed. The entire process takes place after approx. 10 seconds:
"close − lift − lower − open − close.".
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tbanasiak
here ya go................

1. With the ignition switched on, press the lift button and move the lifting/sliding roof drive to the "raised"
limit position.
2. Press lift button again and keep depressed. After around 10 seconds, a complete cycle takes place from
the raised limit position to the positions "lower  open  close". Teaching of the characteristics has been
completed after this process.
Note: The lift button must not be released during the entire process. In the event of a restart, the
lifting/sliding roof must always be moved to the limit position first.
3. If the lifting/sliding roof drive should move back in Item 1, then the closing force limitation function has
responded (lifting/sliding force drive was taught). The open button must be re−taught in this case.
1 Press the open button until the sliding roof stops. Then release the button. Press the open button
again until the lifting/sliding roof drive stops again. Then release the button.
2 Press the open button again and keep depressed. The entire process takes place after approx. 10 seconds:
"close − lift − lower − open − close.".
THANKS MAN!!! IT WORKED!!

All is back to normal with One-Touch Functions. It would not even Open Full before untill i did the Above.

Now only one this is when the Roof is in Tilt Open its not One Touch Close, is that Normal?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

I did mine but no luck still doing same thing. I have a feeling may be doing it wrong. I tried with car on and car off but ignition ket to on.

Sunroof works but have to tilt first and then close it so it will one touch???
Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Sunroof works but have to tilt first and then close it so it will one touch???
Actually i noticed the same thing last night. It does work one Touch but only after the First time i have to Tilt Open and Close with the Button Pressed. After that it works One Touch Fine. this is confusing...
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

OK, problem is still there had my indy look at while replacing door regulator and he is just a stumped as I am. The sunroof works, motor and tracks are good but the damn thing will not one touch without me going through tilt / close / then open. WTF?

Tried the relearning trick and goes through all the motions but then does same damn thing. This is now getting annoying as hell.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM
clorigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar issue. Was wondering if it just needed to be cleaned/lubed?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a similar issue on my 04 C2 same as what you described plus it would sometimes reverse the travel mid slide. Dealer first attempted to clean and lubricate and when that had no affect they replaced the switch - has been perfect ever since and that was at least a few years ago.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

i have the same issue. i'll try this
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Originally Posted by silotwo
Had a similar issue on my 04 C2 same as what you described plus it would sometimes reverse the travel mid slide. Dealer first attempted to clean and lubricate and when that had no affect they replaced the switch - has been perfect ever since and that was at least a few years ago.
Switch that makes sense... because sometimes when i press the button its non responsive...
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, forgot to add to my post I had already replaced the switch thinking that was the issue and even with the new switch and endless relearnings still happening.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My sunroof was acting wonky, had to press the buttons several times to get it to do what I want, and then would only tilt and not slide back and forth. The reset procedure did not do anything. I was getting ready to test the switch with a volt meter to see it that was the problem, got distracted for a few hours with something else, and left the ignition on and drained the battery. To my surprise after charging the battery back up the sunroof works just fine after a reset. So if the reset does not work for you, try disconnecting the battery to reboot the whole car, before digging into it further.

My switch also was loose so that when you pressed the aft button, the back part of the switch itself would get pushed up. Once I pulled the panel off, two drops of superglue fixed where it had broken off it's mounts.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:36 PM
kpl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that didn't fix it for long unfortunately. It'll work fine for a bit, but it's memory won't last very long. It seems to lift up too far at times, make a clunck, and jump forward and 1/8" or so. Other times it works ok, but won't respond when pressing any buttons, then it'll work again. Here is a short video

Last edited by kpl; 09-30-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: edited link

Quick Reply: Sunroof issue can use some help