Sponsored by:

Jack stand under the wheels and not the jackpoints

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Man that is some sweet set up you have there. I can't justify it for the work I have done so far on my car, but my god what a great thing to have. Had I known of this set up, before I decided to set about DIY on the car a year ago, I would have defo gone for this set up especially at that price. That would have cut my work time down tremendously, Not to mention no body pains from cramping down low working on brake pads and bleeding and oil changes. I believe that the fuel filter for the 99 job is in the middle under the car. A job which could be done easily with that set up. Then theres the plug change and muffler removal. All easy stuff if you can get to them. You got me thinking hard now.
Search the web, Ebay, Craigs list etc. Someones bound to be done with one sooner or later.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 05-08-2012, 12:14 PM
mechatorque85
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Go Jak! Think that answers OP's question pretty spot on.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Those things are sweet
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The self loading jack dolly doesn't appear to elevate the car. I need to be able to get underneath to work on it, not slide it around a garage.

The jackpoint jackstands are nice but overpriced.

The OTC set isn't going to work because one has to replace the jack with the jackstand at the jackpoint.

MaxJax relies on holes in concrete which I don't trust the stability of.

My plan is to cement cinder blocks stacked vertically together. On the top I'll cement a brick on both ends. I'll jack up one side and slide the cinder block stack under the wheel with one brick in front of the wheel and the other brick behind the wheel just in case of movement. Then repeat the same for the other side. Total cost of jacks and materials not much over $50 and a stable solution.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

You're over thinking it Check the thread here http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...on-jackstands/

If you don't like jacking the engine, you can also jack the rear cross memeber close to where the engine and transmission meet. I can confirm the OTC jack can reach that if your car is not lowered.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 AM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

With all respect Mr Quickie, you have been shown 2wice now how to jack the car up using a tried and true method, it is safe! The cinder block thing you describe is not the way to go, jack stands are not expensive and they are safe, I would not get under a car using cinder blocks to support it they aren't designed for this, you don't know the engineering criteria for them and I seriously doubt that they were designed to support a car. If you feel uneasy doing the procedure that has been described to you, take it to a professional and let them do the job, safer for the car and more importantly for you.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

These sound like exactly what you wanted
Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
The self loading jack dolly doesn't appear to elevate the car. I need to be able to get underneath to work on it, not slide it around a garage.

The jackpoint jackstands are nice but overpriced.

The OTC set isn't going to work because one has to replace the jack with the jackstand at the jackpoint.

MaxJax relies on holes in concrete which I don't trust the stability of.

My plan is to cement cinder blocks stacked vertically together. On the top I'll cement a brick on both ends. I'll jack up one side and slide the cinder block stack under the wheel with one brick in front of the wheel and the other brick behind the wheel just in case of movement. Then repeat the same for the other side. Total cost of jacks and materials not much over $50 and a stable solution.
for christs sake.

rhino ramps.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Also consider Race Ramps - very nice.

http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLo...ited/Home.html
Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threa...-As-Jackstands!!!!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=139763

Just a couple of examples of why one should not be using cinder blocks. Think about it, cinder blocks are in contact with each other through ALL of its contact surface which is filled with mortar, the contact point between your car and a cinder block under it can only be a small portion of the surface area and therefore putting a concentrated load on the cinder block in a way that it can fail suddenly and unexpectedly.

Not a smart idea at all.........
Old 06-03-2012, 12:58 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Mr. Q - you've seen lots of options at various prices and I'll admit Jackpoint Jackstands are not the cheap end of the scale. Just as a point of consideration, I recently met a fellow PCA member who had a sizable dent in his rocker panel near the factory jacking location. It was caused by his car slipping off a conventional jack stand. He was not injured and his car is still drivable, but the damage is far more than the costs of Jackpoint Jackstands or any other method you've seen here for supporting a car. Find a method that works for you, but don't take chances with your safety or your car. Each of those is worth far more than you'll spend (or save) by picking something that isn't intended for supporting cars.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:42 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
Mr. Q - you've seen lots of options at various prices and I'll admit Jackpoint Jackstands are not the cheap end of the scale. Just as a point of consideration, I recently met a fellow PCA member who had a sizable dent in his rocker panel near the factory jacking location. It was caused by his car slipping off a conventional jack stand. He was not injured and his car is still drivable, but the damage is far more than the costs of Jackpoint Jackstands or any other method you've seen here for supporting a car. Find a method that works for you, but don't take chances with your safety or your car. Each of those is worth far more than you'll spend (or save) by picking something that isn't intended for supporting cars.
I think the jackpoint solution is great. I just wish they went higher.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

If you need more height for a job - just use 2.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Jack stand under the wheels and not the jackpoints