Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driving in the city with spoiler up, COOL OR WEAK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Now I can see all you cab drivers holding a hand mirror up over your heads as you drive to check on the spoiler. And the guy in the car following saying "Theres one of them **** jockeys doing his makeup" haha
Hurdy...us Cabbies are too busy worrying about our hair to mess with our make up! BTW, are you using a hand mirror to make sure none of your new lettering has fallen off on the freeway?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes I drive around town with my spoiler up, but I use the button in the bottom right of the floorboard rather than the left.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
I'm exact opposite. I wish there was the button could keep the spoiler down. If the COP knows Porsche then he will know how fast you were going due to the spoiler. Having the manual up button is genious on Porsches Lawyers Part.

"no Officer, I wasn't speeding....I had manually raised the spoiler with this button here......bzzzzzzzz.......see"
Well, either you have a possible problem with paranoia or you are driving way too fast in areas where you shouldn't.

When I am going down the road at 75mph and the spoiler is up then enter say a 55mph zone with the spoiler up I give it no mind. (As I touched upon above at first, my first few drives with my first Porsche, I kind of thought about this but nothing bad happened and I soon forgot about it.)

If I were to get pulled over and the argument was based on the spoiler being up I would simply point out that it doesn't go down until the car's speed drops below 50mph (Boxster) or 40mph (Turbo) or something close to those speeds and the car had not yet encountered those lower speeds after leaving a section of road posted at a higher speed.

In short I'd tell the officer the spoiler was up because I had previously been running at a legal speed, a speed at which it supposed to be up.

Besides when one is getting pulled over one's vehicle speed drops and the spoiler goes down. In the meantime the officer is busy with preparing for the stop so the last thing on his mind is ohh the spoiler was up which means the car at some point was going 75mph (or some few miles less since as I mentioned before the spoiler goes up a few mph short of the advertised speed).

(I can tell you that leaving the engine idling -- not supposed to turn off the Turbo engine right away, but let it idle 2 minutes to give the Turbo's a chance to shed some heat -- will upset the officer more than the spoiler being up. The officer thinks I'm planning on running away as soon as he gets out of the car. I always tell the officer I'm not going to run if he says anything and that I'm not supposed to shut off the engine right away and sometimes that's that other times if he objects in any way I shut it off.)

Anyhow, officers have pulled me over for other reasons ... typically being clocked with a radar... though in one case because I failed to use my car's turn signals (warning) or in another case the officer thought I was speeding (no method of speeding determination was listed on the ticket) which means the ticket was just bogus, which it was as the officer never bothered to appear and the court dismiessed the ticket.

Now one could argue a bit that I got pulled over because the spoiler was up -- I was driving ini a 65mph zone (where many cars drive 5mph or even 10mph over and don't get pulled over) but the officer never mentioned the spoiler, only that he had spotted my lane changing (frequent but not agressive or dangerous -- BTW, using a turn signal just signals a following officer "hey pull me over" which is why pro speeders counsel against using the turn signal when speeding/lane changing...) from the distance and decided to pull me over for 'speeding'.

Now if you are in the habit of driving in such a way at such high speeds that the spoiler goes up due to you exceeding the legal speed limit where you live or drive... You have a bigger problem than not being able to control the spoiler for fear it will rat you out to the police you've been driving like a raving maniac.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely up. Especially when you're going through the McDonalds drive up hitting the gas and saying you can't hear the attendant!!! That is the coolest!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM
calbo
Advanced

Hurdy, have you thought of adding some lettering to the area that can only be seen when the spoiler goes up (i.e., at 75mph)?
Something like "Buh-bye" or "Seeya!"
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 PM
j-mann
Advanced

Does anyone have any data on the cooling of the engine compartment?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j-mann
Does anyone have any data on the cooling of the engine compartment?
Yes. After running for a while it's hot in the engine compartment. After it has been sitting for a few hours, it's not as hot.

Just let the spoiler and cooling fans do their thing. That's how it was designed.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by calbo
Hurdy, have you thought of adding some lettering to the area that can only be seen when the spoiler goes up (i.e., at 75mph)?
Something like "Buh-bye" or "Seeya!"
Thats a great idea lol. A few English sayings. "Bollux" springs to mind. "Up Yours" or "Suck my plumbs" "Kiss my RRs" I am open to more suggestions.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:24 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Smile

"Falling IMS Bits and Oil. Do not follow"
Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSST
Yes. After running for a while it's hot in the engine compartment. After it has been sitting for a few hours, it's not as hot.

Just let the spoiler and cooling fans do their thing. That's how it was designed.
LOL
Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 AM
streaydog
Advanced

Talking

This thread has me rolling.. Over the pass two months I've been trying to diagnose why the spoiler doesn't work after owning the car for over a year. Came to the conclusion after slowly checking everything (after noticing it goes up at speeds from reflections) on the car that the original owner wore out the button!!! Eventually I will replace the electronic contraption on my Boxster in a couple weeks or so but no rush because i spend more time hitting the Sport button and not the Spoiler button!

To each his own. Glad they made it but I don't use it. I am over 35 though
Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Nikedog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prior to owning a Porsche and when I had the oppurtunity to be behind a Porcsche on the highway - I thought it was way cool when the spoiler would rise when going by me and lower coming off the highway as the car slowed down. To me - it meant it was actually doing something unlike a poser fixed wing on a Camry sport or some other non sport car with the "sport package".
The mechanical spoiler on the Porsche was yet another reason I had to have one....
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Everytime I see the wing deploy on the track.... its eye candy. But afterawhile, all the up and down kinda reminds me of.... well, **** jockeys.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you put it up with the switch doesnt it just go down anyway once you have passed 37 MPH then gone below?

(mine is up in my avatar cuz i just got done washing her )
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Default Update

Saw the car again yesterday parked downtown and his spoiler was still up, maybe it is broken. should have taken a picture and post it here. damn...

Quick Reply: Driving in the city with spoiler up, COOL OR WEAK?