Sponsored by:

Top won't go up

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top won't go up

Top went down last night but wouldn't go back up unless we "helped" it a bit. from the search I did I am guessing it is low on fluid. I found this tutorial at Renntech - but noticed it is 7 years old - wondered if there was any updated information on how to go about this or any tips/tricks that people had discovered since then?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-step-by-step/

Thanks!

Ted
Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You say it goes up with a little help Ted. Maybe a spot of oil in the right places would help. Like Machine oil they use on sewing machines. Get someone to let go of the top up/down button when you see the joints to be oiled. Or turn the ignition off depending on how yours works. BTW, it's not a low battery problem is it before going to all that oiling?

I think I should retract my statement about oiling parts after reading later posts about the Hydraulic top up. The reason I mentioned about a low battery is mine would not come up after I discovered it could be opened and closed via the door key. I was so pleased to find that out that I was showing everybody and his brother how it was done and in doing so took too much out of my battery. Recharged and back to normal. Didn't even know about the hydraulic part until now.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 05-28-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:11 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Watch where and how much you are oiling or you will develop stains on your ragtop!
Pete
Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Use that DIY to check the level, top up if needed. Check the pistons for leaks. Really no other way.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:16 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Adding fluid is easy. I used a piece of vinyl tubing and filled it with fluid holding one end with finger. I inserted open end in resoivoir and released finger. Fluid flows in easily. It uses very little so it is fast. Put down a rag to catch excess. Amazing how a little fluid fixes the problem.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:09 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jwex16
Adding fluid is easy. I used a piece of vinyl tubing and filled it with fluid holding one end with finger. I inserted open end in resoivoir and released finger. Fluid flows in easily. It uses very little so it is fast. Put down a rag to catch excess. Amazing how a little fluid fixes the problem.
+1 I used this DIY and just a little fluid helped solve the problem immediately.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Exotic_Car_Guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tedfromohio
Top went down last night but wouldn't go back up unless we "helped" it a bit.

Thanks!

Ted
Ted,

I just had a problem where my top wouldn't raise, and it turned out to need replacement of the parking brake sensor (which is part of the top interlock).

Gil
Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low fluid is the most likely cause. Start there before you start oiling things. Be sure to check for fluid leaks.

I don't think you are really supposed to oil the mechanism. The hinges in the top are designed to be maintenance free.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I did this about six months ago, following the DIY from Renntech. Pretty straightforward. Pay attention to that copper washer on the pump resevoir, better to go ahead and take it off. I didn't, dropped it, and looked forever before I found it again. I used New Holland tractor hydraulic fluid, $4.00 a quart. Works perfectly again!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I topped up my hydraulic fluid recently. Not too difficult. Follow the DIY, and read the updates by clicking "visit support topic" on the DIY page. I had some trouble finding synthetic hydraulic fluid locally. I ended up using Pentosin CHF 202 synthetic hydraulic fluid.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:07 PM
JohnnyBuckhead
Intermediate

I've done the fluid top off about four times now so I obviously have a leak somewhere that I can't find.

Can someone point me to the instructions on how to change over to manual operation of the top. I found it once (either here or someone pointed me to renntech) but I can't locate it.

It's a difficult search because top, roof, manual, convert all have doube/triple meanings!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
carrera/corvette
AutoX

I had the same issue last week. Took it to an indy and he charged me $400 per cylinder plus $400 installation. I found out later a hydraulic shop in town repairs them for $75. He told me I was saving because the dealer charges $800 per cylinder for new ones. On the plus side it does work well.

Quick Reply: Top won't go up