Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thinking About Replacing the 996, Am I Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't like open cars, so I'm going to be biased, but the only reason I would have a Boxster is to save a few dollars.

Now....if I did need to save a few dollars....and I wanted a real Porsche....then I absolutely would buy a Boxster. They're great cars and every inch a real Porsche. I even like the thought of a 2.5 litre early car. My foot is very heavy and I'm sure I could make it go fast enough to scare the wife/lose my license/get sideways etc.

I'd get a hardtop though...and maybe even remove the soft top and mechanism to save the weight. You guys must be some good looking to be able to feel good in a convertible with the roof down.

As far as the 996 cab aesthetics goes...I like how they look with the top up better than with the top down...but the Boxster looks better from a straight stylistic point of view.

Opinions are funny though eh? What looks good to one guy simply doesn't to the next.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's face it - a Boxster is a great handling car. But so is a 914. Both have something in common, they are / were entry level Porsches. I agree with Sac Town Guy - It does suggest that you couldn't quite get to the level of a 911, which has always been the top Porsche model every year since 1965. Porsche is careful that the 911 outperforms all other models that it produces. It seems to me that a boxster is also a girls Porsche, kinda like a Volkswagen beetle.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A Boxster is a driver's car...and much better performance for the money than a recent 911. If I had liked the ride better on the rough roads near my home, I would have never thought twice about buying one.

I have no interest in conversations about it being entry-level. That's just social-climbing, conspicuous consumption B.S.

I drove a 914 in the early 70's that had a 3-liter, twin-plug, IROC engine in it. There was nothing entry level about that car.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
madclubman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cornbread
.......I agree with Sac Town Guy - It does suggest that you couldn't quite get to the level of a 911, which has always been the top Porsche model every year since 1965......
Actually, I think the 928 held that distinction for many years during it's production.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM
tarzancoe
Instructor

I had both, Boxster S 986 and a 996 cab. I like the 996 better but it feels heavy when slow. The Boxster drove more like a cart, very nimble and fun. And it has two trunks which makes up somewhat for the lack of rear seats.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
tarzancoe
Instructor

More people than you think agree with your line or thought ... but they do not say it

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I am not suggesting we race for pink slips. I am just saying it's not a real Porsche. It's for the guy that can't afford a 911... in MY opinion. I would much rather have a used 911. I bought a cab so am not looking to race.

I never said I was a 911 purist. I got my car because I like how the back looks.... AND because it IS a 911.

To me I could easily have bought a brand new Cayman or Boxster but to ME it's for the guy that can't afford a 911. I obviously am not doing a very good job of putting it in words.

I suppose I am a car "snob" with most low end "luxury" cars. Low end Benz and Jags are the ultimate jokes to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
You guys must be some good looking to be able to feel good in a convertible with the roof down.
Not me. I am hideous.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm in the minority but I've always been an overall Porsche guy. So, saying a Boxster isn't a real Porsche is like saying a 996 isn't a real 911. Of course they are and of course it is.

I'm sure there are plenty of Boxster owners who bought their car because it was the only new Porsche they could afford. Isn't that true of most car brands though; that there's a halo model that gets people in the showroom? I bet most new 335 owners would have bought an M3 if they could have afforded one. Also, a lot of people won't even consider a used car -- this is my first (not counting my vintage SAAB) and my wife was a bit shocked when I suggested it.

Neverthless, I still understand SacTown's comment. I, too, could have easily bought a new Boxster S but it wasn't the car I dreamt about at night as a kid (or as an adult, for that matter). I've always been a 911 fan whether because of its styling, enginering or handling. It was just the Porsche...the car I really wanted. In fact, I never had an itch to buy a Boxster even when I bought my Z3 years ago or even later when I traded it in for a TT Quattro Cab.

Interestingly, my brother in law once asked me why I didn't just buy a new Boxster S. His best friend (also a car guy) turned to him and said, "Dude, because he bought a 911!" I think that about sums it up for me.

As for the OP's comment about a 911 Cab, I share everyone's sentiment and say try one on for size! I don't think you'll be disappointed. Or, just go for the Boxster. It's not like you can't trade back into a 911 at a later date. There are plenty to go around. Best of luck!

-Eric
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has me recalling about 35 years ago - wow how time really does fly. Me with a Polar white 1968 911, best friend with 914 in what I thought was the ugliest green I ever laid eyes on. The debate was on, I had a "real" Porsche and he had a VW that wanted to be a Porsche.

We finally agreed to swap cars for one day and at the end of that day I still thought the 914 was the ugliest green I ever laid eyes on. But, I no longer called it a Porsche wanna be, it was a Porsche, and it was a blast.

Later over a steak and couple of beers we decided to agree that we both drove Porsche's, he preferred his 914 with the handling and Targa top, I preferred my 911 with the adrenalin rush of never knowing if I would cross that fine line and have the butt of the car taking over. No surprise right? After all, we each chose a car that we felt was a car that was right for us.

There's a Boxster S at work on sunny days, today parked with the top down and next to my C4S. I had that someday thought of adding a Boxster. I bet that the Boxster would be like the C2 compared to the C4S, great cars, different enough yet each with their own merits and with unique aspects that I appreciate and enjoy equally. (still struggling with if I were to keep just one, which one would it be, a decision I honestly can't make)

As far as what one can afford, I personally didn't buy any of my cars to make any kind of economic or social statement. I guess on the other side of the fence people could say we buy used 996's because we can't afford a comparably equipped Boxster, let alone a used 997.

And the kicker for me - my wife has her someday wish of driving a red sports car convertible. A few months ago I sourced a used Boxster base that I thought would fill the bill. I was going to fly south and drive it back to surprise her. Fortunately for me my son told my wife about my idea and she was pretty quick to turn it down saying we couldn't afford it, need to finish remodeling the 2nd house, maybe after we are down to one home and one mortgage.

But the truth is she has no interest in a Boxster at all, what she really wants is a Red VW Bug convertible. So now I do agree with her, now is not the time, let's finish the house first.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Liceman
Instructor

I think buying a late model Boxster is no more "entry level" than my buying a 10 year old (at the time) 911. Each car exists for its own purposes. Two different ways to experience the road and speed. They're both Porsches.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Maybe I'm in the minority but I've always been an overall Porsche guy. So, saying a Boxster isn't a real Porsche is like saying a 996 isn't a real 911. Of course they are and of course it is.

I'm sure there are plenty of Boxster owners who bought their car because it was the only new Porsche they could afford. Isn't that true of most car brands though; that there's a halo model that gets people in the showroom? I bet most new 335 owners would have bought an M3 if they could have afforded one. Also, a lot of people won't even consider a used car -- this is my first (not counting my vintage SAAB) and my wife was a bit shocked when I suggested it.

Neverthless, I still understand SacTown's comment. I, too, could have easily bought a new Boxster S but it wasn't the car I dreamt about at night as a kid (or as an adult, for that matter). I've always been a 911 fan whether because of its styling, enginering or handling. It was just the Porsche...the car I really wanted. In fact, I never had an itch to buy a Boxster even when I bought my Z3 years ago or even later when I traded it in for a TT Quattro Cab.

Interestingly, my brother in law once asked me why I didn't just buy a new Boxster S. His best friend (also a car guy) turned to him and said, "Dude, because he bought a 911!" I think that about sums it up for me.

As for the OP's comment about a 911 Cab, I share everyone's sentiment and say try one on for size! I don't think you'll be disappointed. Or, just go for the Boxster. It's not like you can't trade back into a 911 at a later date. There are plenty to go around. Best of luck!

-Eric
Well, what ended up being my big block fund became my Porsche - and bc Porsche has the different cars It was easy for me to see it had to be the 911. Why? The backseat - I have to be able to take my dog to vet.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why? The backseat - I have to be able to take my dog to vet.
Good one!!!
I have to add that one to my standby excuses in case I ever need some leverage!
Pete
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the 911 was bumped down to middle status because of the Carrera GT? It's the super boxter..

Originally Posted by Cornbread
Let's face it - a Boxster is a great handling car. But so is a 914. Both have something in common, they are / were entry level Porsches. I agree with Sac Town Guy - It does suggest that you couldn't quite get to the level of a 911, which has always been the top Porsche model every year since 1965. Porsche is careful that the 911 outperforms all other models that it produces. It seems to me that a boxster is also a girls Porsche, kinda like a Volkswagen beetle.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ROFL

Originally Posted by silotwo
But the truth is she has no interest in a Boxster at all, what she really wants is a Red VW Bug convertible. So now I do agree with her, now is not the time, let's finish the house first.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:57 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
I agree! Saying "real Porsche" is so damn stupid. Just as stupid as saying "real 911", possibly even worse.

Buy what you want and enjoy it. Everyone else can eat a bag of man parts.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Replacing the 996, Am I Crazy?