996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree. I was well aware of all of the major issues before I bought my 996, and appreciate knowing the things to look out for, and the amazing information here, but if you read here regularly, and aren't a well versed shade tree mechanic, it can be daunting, and downright nerve racking. But like someone else mentioned, adverse selection definitely plays into this. If you have a problem, you go to the interwebs, plug in a few keystrokes, and find yourself here reading all about it from a seemingly endless supply of people who have had catastrophic failures, and you pucker up tighter than the first day of prison.

So I agree that while the information here is absolutely priceless, it should be taken with a grain of salt in the fact that the people here are speaking from a vastly different experience point than most P-car owners, in the fact that a) they are technically aware of their cars, and b) a lot of them have had something occur that brought them here...that's my .02, for whatever it's worth.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Macster - another great post - thank you!

The techs at my dealership often give me "the look" - like I must be nuts. I've gotten to know the guys over the past 5 years so now they speak more openly. They say things like "you've been on the internet again haven't you"? "stay off the GD internet" "if you want to pay us to replace something that's not broken because you read that it might break, it's your dime".

Lately it seems they have been running across cars with major problems, cars bought at a "great price" or from out of state off of the interner that looked REALLY good in the photographs. In these cases they typically are finding that lot's of duct tape and bailing wire had been used and I believe they are correct when they say the price point of a used 996 or Boxster has gotten so ridiculously low that people who do not understand or appreciate the car are picking them up, trashing them thinking they will save a few bucks with DIY, and giving the car an even worse mark than the cars already do not deserve.

As for me. I have had my 04 C2 for 5 years and put 50k miles on it. It was a CPO car and any issues it had surfaced between 30K and 45K miles. Since then it has just been a stellar car requiring nothing more than routine maintainence and service. (I have always had oil changes done at around 5500 miles - never followed the recommended oil change interval on any machine I ever owned)

The 04 C4S that I purchased in 10/11 had 23,500 miles on the clock with a top tier 3rd party warranty good for another year or 22,000 miles (yes the PO rarely drove the car). I have put 10k miles on this one so far and the same minor problems that surfaced with the C2, and a larger issue with the audio surfaced with the C4S - all covered under warranty. My tech did tell me before I pulled the trigger on the C4S that I should already know what to expect based on the experience with the C2 - he was right.

So for me, my experience with the cars and with Porsche has been a good one. My biggest problem with the cars is that some mornings I have a tough time deciding which one to drive, I've been known to walk back in the house to swap keys - or to stand in the garage debating. Tough ownership problem to have.

My wife gets a good laugh when I return from a business trip, after driving an Impala for a few weeks, even when I get in from the airport near midnight - I begin by starting both cars because "they don't like to sit". After they reach full operating temp I always end up taking one of them out for a ride. That ride is the best, it's like reliving the original "wow" moment that made me fall in love with Porsche decades ago.

Drive and enjoy - plenty of other things to worry about in the world that trump "will my Porsche break today".
Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Silotwo and Macster are so on target. I believe the relatively low price of th 996 encourages ownership by people who simply can't afford the proper maintenance. People with no mechanical ability will not change oil every 5k miles when it cant be done at Jiffy Lube for $40.

So we end up with too many cars that are "all show and no go" that end up on the market. Nice paint, nice wheels, nice interior, but the engine has not been cared for.

As for this forum, the technical help and info is great. The other stuff, especially the scaremongering, is entertaining (and a bit calculated if you know what I mean).

So for all of you scaredy cats out there just remember, you don't need to worry about the Boogeyman in your closet...just watch out for that monster under your bed.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Thanks for all the great posts! Was actually expecting something like "go ahead and put your head in the sand". Refreshing! Now it's killing me to not have my car to run to the store, or simply walk throgh the shop and stare at it! I will say having no oil drips on the ground will be nice and I'm hoping the spark plug tubes take care of that.

I'm sure no one will call me crazy if I buy a new water pump and install it with my son some rainy weekend this winter? At 104,000 miles my labor and an excellent DIY found on this forum, should be rewarding and prudent.

Thanks to all for excellent feedback to my post! Macster not sure what it is you do for a day job but you are a great asset to this forum and I read your posts with respect and appreciation.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:51 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by silotwo
Macster - another great post - thank you!

The techs at my dealership often give me "the look" - like I must be nuts. I've gotten to know the guys over the past 5 years so now they speak more openly. They say things like "you've been on the internet again haven't you"? "stay off the GD internet" "if you want to pay us to replace something that's not broken because you read that it might break, it's your dime".

Lately it seems they have been running across cars with major problems, cars bought at a "great price" or from out of state off of the interner that looked REALLY good in the photographs. In these cases they typically are finding that lot's of duct tape and bailing wire had been used and I believe they are correct when they say the price point of a used 996 or Boxster has gotten so ridiculously low that people who do not understand or appreciate the car are picking them up, trashing them thinking they will save a few bucks with DIY, and giving the car an even worse mark than the cars already do not deserve.

As for me. I have had my 04 C2 for 5 years and put 50k miles on it. It was a CPO car and any issues it had surfaced between 30K and 45K miles. Since then it has just been a stellar car requiring nothing more than routine maintainence and service. (I have always had oil changes done at around 5500 miles - never followed the recommended oil change interval on any machine I ever owned)

The 04 C4S that I purchased in 10/11 had 23,500 miles on the clock with a top tier 3rd party warranty good for another year or 22,000 miles (yes the PO rarely drove the car). I have put 10k miles on this one so far and the same minor problems that surfaced with the C2, and a larger issue with the audio surfaced with the C4S - all covered under warranty. My tech did tell me before I pulled the trigger on the C4S that I should already know what to expect based on the experience with the C2 - he was right.

So for me, my experience with the cars and with Porsche has been a good one. My biggest problem with the cars is that some mornings I have a tough time deciding which one to drive, I've been known to walk back in the house to swap keys - or to stand in the garage debating. Tough ownership problem to have.

My wife gets a good laugh when I return from a business trip, after driving an Impala for a few weeks, even when I get in from the airport near midnight - I begin by starting both cars because "they don't like to sit". After they reach full operating temp I always end up taking one of them out for a ride. That ride is the best, it's like reliving the original "wow" moment that made me fall in love with Porsche decades ago.

Drive and enjoy - plenty of other things to worry about in the world that trump "will my Porsche break today".
That may be my favorite forum post ever
Old 06-30-2012, 01:04 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My dad was a radiologist.

He was against us riding horses, because all he saw every week, were people who were injured while riding horses. Hm-m-m.

Some get their 15 minutes of fame by delaring some new weakness, the unfairness of it all or some bizarre home remedy. You can see long threads that are mostly the screaming of just a few people....out of how many owners?

Enjoy your car. Use common sense, your owner's manual and a trusted mechanic. Online forums are one step above horoscopes....primarily for entertainment purposes.

Fear mongering......people have told spook stories around the camp fire for centuries. The tradition continues here.

Last edited by RF5BPilot; 07-01-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 99 C2 Cab with 58000 miles on it... early on in my ownership I claimed for a new transmission under warranty and apart from that NOTHING. I have done 12000 miles in as many months of ownership. I am a DIY guy on the preventative maintenance side only. ie:- oil and filters, brakes and coolant changing etc. The small things. No engine dropping for me. I still have 18000 miles and just under 2 years left under warranty. And as much as i hammer this car wanting it to throw up a big fault, it will not. It runs and handles and pulls and brakes way way better than any car I ever owned (which i expected it to to do before buying it). Before coming to this forum I was overjoyed with the purchase and slept very well every night. Then I discovered Rennlist Forum and read about the things that can go wrong with the water cooled 996. My *** hole twiched from dime to quarter size as I was reading the forum. I quickly took up preventative action and became a DIY man. However It didn't take me long to figure out that if 20 porsche 996s were lined up and I had to pick the bad one out of the 20 cars. I would fail. A 20 to 1 shot is a good bet that I got a good one when I bought mine. I say thanks to the scare mongers. It brought the price of the 996 down to a price which I could afford. I have a wonderful car in my garage. I am more than proud to be the owner of a 911-996 and only smile when I see these lowered down silver painted, black wheeled, loud muffled pieces of crap these kids own. I take great delight in burning the ***** off them as they tail gate me on the highway. Or for that matter, anyone else thats throws the gaunlet down to my 996..

Quick Reply: Service