Sponsored by:

This is how you park a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Lv03911
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
That's funny! Made my think of another post! "How many of you don't take your Pcar out of the garage if the threat of precipitation is greater than 20%"?

I don't, but fortunately, I don't have to worry about that too often.

Gonzo
Yep, I'll take the truck if it looks like rain.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

I always park in East Jesuswaythefredoutthere

And yes, 78% of the time when I make it back to the car there's a beat-to-crap minivan parked 1.2" away from it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they park next to us to increase the value of their vehicle.....
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
JaxJim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dotframe
I hate you
Talk about karma! Think of it this way: at least i'm protecting one side of your car...

All kidding aside, just drive the darn thing. It's a car, when I drive the p-car, i park in with the other cars. I do not have a scratch or ding anywhere except for a little nose patina. Will I end up eventually getting a door ding? Sure, but I won't lose sleep over it.

Quit worrying about the car so much and enjoy it!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxJim
O.K., I have to admit it: I'm one of those a$$holes that will park next to someone out in the middle of a parking lot when I drive my 12 year old full-size 4x4 truck. I do it just because I know it drives them crazy...
So, do you pull wings off butterflies also?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

All kidding aside, just drive the darn thing. It's a car, when I drive the p-car, i park in with the other cars. I do not have a scratch or ding anywhere except for a little nose patina. Will I end up eventually getting a door ding? Sure, but I won't lose sleep over it.

That sentiment of 'it's just a car" has it's place, but attention to detail is not worrying for its own sake and worrying about a car is not opposite to enjoying it. Each to his own.

For the owner parking their pride and joy in the far corner of a 2000 space car lot, it's not just a car, it's often a source of great enjoyment and pride of ownership, a place to focus their attention and enthusiasm, a reward for nose-to-the-grindstone years, not just a rolling scratch-n-dent anachronism of fossil fuels and oil industry corruption.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That sentiment of 'it's just a car" has it's place, but attention to detail is not worrying for its own sake and worrying about a car is not opposite to enjoying it. Each to his own.

For the owner parking their pride and joy in the far corner of a 2000 space car lot, it's not just a car, it's often a source of great enjoyment and pride of ownership, a place to focus their attention and enthusiasm, a reward for nose-to-the-grindstone years, not just a rolling scratch-n-dent anachronism of fossil fuels and oil industry corruption.
True.. But if you find yourself spending more time worrying about what might happen to the car, than actually enjoying it... You might have gotten lost along the way.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Pff on all that, it's an economic decision. Paintless dent repair runs $40 a pop.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Living in the Metro NYC area, it is hard to park in an isolated spot many times. Somewhat recently I changed my view and have a more nonchalant attitude towards door dings / parking - I will park my Porsche in the streets of NYC, grocery store parking lot, mall parking lot, etc - I have a few door dings, but IMHO - it does not really change how awesome the car is, and if I ever decide to sell the car, $200 worth of PDR should clean it up. That $200 might be worth the money saved from parking in NYC garages when street parking is available, and the stress of being upset when you notice a new ding on your flawless car.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

O.K., I have to admit it: I'm one of those a$$holes that will park next to someone out in the middle of a parking lot when I drive my 12 year old full-size 4x4 truck. I do it just because I know it drives them crazy...
Originally Posted by SSST
True.. But if you find yourself spending more time worrying about what might happen to the car, than actually enjoying it... You might have gotten lost along the way.
Exactly. I park FAR away from everyone else so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the real issue is the lack of respect most other people have for other peolpe's property. If you respect other people make an effort not to ding or damage someone else's car.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
I believe the real issue is the lack of respect most other people have for other peolpe's property. If you respect other people make an effort not to ding or damage someone else's car.
This!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Talk about karma! Think of it this way: at least i'm protecting one side of your car...

Really??? My wife frequently parks her SUV in a mall parking lot and the damn thing looks like it was the loser in a demolition derby.

I too park in the boonies, but(knock on wood) I rarely find other cars parked next to it.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

^THIS^

Spot on - I don't buy the "herd" mentality arguement. I think most of these people are just being a$$es.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I do the same thing. The other night I did this at a popular restaurant. Next to my silver 996 TT Cab way out in the back was another silver 996 TT coupe. I welcomed that parked next to me.

Quick Reply: This is how you park a Porsche