996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is a 996 Right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Good points have been made, but it comes down to this: would you really recommend a Cayman over a 996TT?

I didn't think so.

Now go buy it, but watch the power until you get used to it.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 791 Posts

As someone in roughly the same life position as you when I bought my first Porsche, my advice to you would be to ask yourself "do I really need this much car?"

By the sounds of it (read: making a few assumptions based on your posts so far), you like and appreciate nice cars but you're not really that much of an "enthusiast" at the end of the day. I'm guessing the main reason you're looking at a 996 Turbo is because 1) of some influence from your father, 2) it's a good deal for a nice car from someone you can trust and 3) prestige factor of having a 911 Turbo. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those three things, I just think you're trying to buy a chainsaw when all you need is a pick ax.

Buying the car itself might be no problem for you, but bear in mind that while these cars are known for being very reliable, when something does go wrong, it gets very expensive very quickly.

In my opinion, for someone like you I would recommend against the Turbo and suggest you look at the naturally aspirated models. You'll save yourself $10k-$20k and you'll still have a nice 996. Also, that extra money would be much better saved/invested at our age, but I'll spare you that argument.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
nevrlast16
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for all of your thoughtful advice, it is greatly appreciated. I've decided to go ahead and make a trip to check it out in person this weekend! I'll keep you all posted on my progress, and if I come home in it I'll be sure to post some pics
Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of his money would be well-spent on a high performance driving school, like Skip Barber, etc. He's coming out of a Honda Accord and moving into a high performance Porsche - I think that's too big a jump, hence, my recommendation for the driving school.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Find a really nice mk2 C4S, plenty of power, great Turbo wide body looks plenty of power, save some up front money, no loan. My $.02
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM
felsyeh
Intermediate

If it's as good as it sounds from the mechanic, and looks from the pictures, I would jump on it. Good value in the high 30s for a decent mileage 996TT. I looked at Caymans, 996 c2, c4s, tt, and 997c2s on my search too, and decided on a 996 c2 (did not find a 996TT that looks as clean at that pricepoint).

I wouldn't worry about it being "too much car," as long as you're smart about it and aren't wreckless. And if you are wreckless then you'll prob destroy any sportscar you jump in anyway regardless of power.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Turbo..why the debate ? I think your Dad's gonna hog it and you'll be driving the 944 anyhow
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd go for TT but keep this in mind......
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

They are both great cars so I would recommend driving both models and buying the one that turns you on the most. After all thats what these cars are all about. Good luck...
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 AM
otto06
Instructor

+1 on the TT - also +1 on driving school or some DE days. I bought my first 911 at 26 and never had any regrets - respect the car's power - and drive it like its meant to be driven
Old 07-11-2012, 07:00 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrlast16
Soverystout thanks for the input! That is exactly what I am a bit afraid of. I do have a bit of insurance as the mechanic who is a good friend of my dads and actually races Porsches has worked on this car for the past 6 years and did a PPI on it already. He says the only issue he found was the ignition switch, which has been replaced.

I think a Cayman S would be great but the 09's with the DFI in S trim are running about 48k right now so I would likely have to settle for a base Cayman which are still about 42. With prices like that would you still suggest the Cayman or should I get the turbo and hold on to that extra 5k+ to get the turbo "how I want"?

I received a promotion flyer from porsche stating that you can get 0% financing on all 2008 and newer porsches until the end of july(i believe). Get a cayman s, exactly how you want it, put half of the money down and finance the rest. I think you can get up to 48 months with no interest on used porsches! The economy is not doing well......
Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
nevrlast16
Track Day

Soverystout, I'll look into that, thanks!

Also, I've been doing some research on the mods that have already been added and this is what I found. It appears they had an EVOM package deal put on it that upgraded the ECU Software, the MAF, and Intake. Anyone have any thoughts on this particular package and its reliability?

Link(Scroll down to the 996TT Page, its the 2nd Package): http://evomsit.com/Porsche_MAIN_TURBO_App_Guide.htm
Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I love nice cars, owned them since I was younger than you. I also have 3 sons all older than you.

I can't answer your question until I know more.

I assume you're making good money. Will you in a year, 3 years, 10 years?

What's your net worth? How much in investments, savings besides what's allotted for your car?

Do you own a home? Have a garage?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

When I read your original post, my first thought was that it's a car best suited for a middle-aged ****** than a twentysomething professional. But seeing the photos, I admit it's not as outlandish as I expected, in fact it looks rather good as 996s go, and the turbo's engine's reputation is certainly sterling compared to the M96. However I would be quite concerned about the modifications to the engine and suspension. I would certainly want to see for myself how it drives on typical streets and in typical traffic...how punishingly stiff are the ride and handling? Can it negotiate driveways, potholes and speed-bumps without leaving bits of itself behind? Does the engine run well even at low revs? Can a girl carry on a meaningful conversation with you when the motor is running, and will she want to ride in it a second time? Will its exhaust awaken everyone in your neighbourhood when you come home late at night? Things like those.

I don't necessarily see why you think your only alternative is to go down to a Cayman. In fact I guarantee you if you buy one, you will regret it every time you see a Carrera. For $38-40 you should be able to find a well-optioned low-mileage '05 C2 base, and perhaps even an '06 with a bit more mileage and/or fewer options. Those are 997 bodies BTW. Do have a look at one, as many people prefer their exterior and interior styling. IMO the only reason to look at a 996 is cost, and I would not pay more than $20-25K for one. Have the LN IMS bearing installed if it worries you.

In the end, buy the car that buoys your spirits. After all, if that weren't the prime criterion, why even bother with anything else? In that Honda you've already got safe, reliable transportation with excellent resale value.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrlast16
As far as tracking it, I don't currently have plans to do such but I won't say I would never do it either, if the opportunity presented itself.

...My biggest worry is that this car could get me in trouble. I have a pretty good driving record (1 speeding ticket and 1 fender bender) but with this much power I'm afraid I could go broke from the tickets or worse, lose control and wreck something ...
Frankly, the only reason to own a car with this kind of power is to take it to the track, at least on occassion. You can still enjoy getting groceries in a tight, powerful car but if you're thinking that you can explore the capabilities of this car on public roads, you're nuts. It can only be done in a controlled environment with proper instruction.

And I'd say that to anyone here too.

Quick Reply: Is a 996 Right for me?