Sponsored by:

Major Disappointment With PSS vs PS2

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Disappointment With PSS vs PS2

Did my homework, and took the advice of many, "Pilot Super Sport are a great replacement for Pilot PS2's". Bought the PSS from Tire Rack. I picked up the car for Sunset Porsche, fresh alignment and new tires, expected greatness! Took the back way home to avoid the Interstate, did understand the first 100 miles or so on new rubber they might be a little greasy. Was really surprised at amount of what feels to be sidewall flex. Stopped at a tire dealer on the way home, the pressures were 50 psi HOT rear and 43 psi Hot front, dropped 5-7 pounds. Have modified psi up and down and added about 120 miles to scrub off the new edges. Current psi cold 36 front and 40 rear. Keep in mind the car drove like a laser on the old PS2's, I just wasn't comfortable with the tread depth at wear bars so switched them out. The car has H&R springs, Bilstein Shocks, Porsche Cup sway bars and drop links front and rear, very tight set up... or used to be. What am I missing, read a thread and understand 1.5 mm on worn tires and about 8 mm on new rubber but its a lot of wiggle. The car when pushed doesn't feel safe to me, just way too much mush into a corner as I feel what I think to be the side walls flex, once they roll over they have good bite. In a hard left to right transition, it's actually dangerous. If when driving down a straight stretch of road just wiggle the wheel left and right slightly I feel the weight shift but the car tracks straight.

Either I'm missing something, I hope that's the case, or a bunch of people on these forums have a very different expectation or suspension set up then I do.

Advice appreciated!

(As an aside, very please that Tire Rack has a 30 day warranty and I can send these back and order PS2's if I choose, I'll eat the freight back to me and the second mount and balance, but that will be better than living with these tires for a couple years.)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not chat with Damon @ Tirerack and see what he says? 220 miles driven should get rid of the 'greasy' new tire issue. GL, let us know what happens.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm no expert, but did you did a printout of the alignment? If something was changed there, if could have at least contributed if not caused entirely the difference in feel.

I'd particularly look at front toe, more front toe will slow turn-in and add straight line stability to the front, which seems to be exactly what you're describing.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:28 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

My front PS2's had plenty of miles left on them had they not been so much wear on the inside edge of both. I posted some pics. and thought I had way too much camber, someone corrected me... I believe Macster, saying my wear was more than likely too much toe out. So burglar you might be on to something.

Is there a direct dial line for Damon?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I was amazed at how pliable the MPSS sidewalls feel with your bare hand before mounting but having unquestionable faith in Michelin, when my rear PS2 wore out (threads showing on inside tread block) I replaced with MPSS & have PS2 on front @ wear bars. My car understeers more & I can't get the rear to break loose. I assume you bought the exact same sizes & have worn off the mold release goop. If you did have more toe out in the front & realigned for less, then turn-in will seem sluggish plus some tread squirm. MPSS beats MPS2 on the skidpad!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Doesn't sound right. They should feel like PS2's until they are pushed really hard. Then they should shine.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your alignment was adjusted it should be suspect. i have ps2, and have not tried pss, but feel it is hard to believe that alone would be cause for your cars behavior.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to see the alignment report as well. I am quite happy with my PSS's and dont find the same problems that you are having. P-cars typically should have a pretty aggressive alignment, if they decreased the aggressiveness making it more akin to a standard vehicle it could account for a sloppy alignment. What looks normal on a printout when compared to 95% of the vehicles on the market is incorrect for a Pcar
Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 AM
2001996c4
Advanced

I'm checking into alignment tomorrow. The alignment was done at a Porsche dealer, should be correct. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Here are the alignment specifications, anyone think these seem out of the ordinary?

Thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 2001996c4; 07-12-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Better attachment
Old 07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wearing out the inside of the tire tread indicates an aggressive camber setting which is appropriate for a p-car. While cornering, the centrifugal forces will transfer the weight of the car to the outside (think bodyroll) which will even the load across those out-board treads. Of course you pay for it the rest of the time.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at your initial readings, the toes it is out to lunch. The toe is for each side is supposed to be between 0 - .10'. You were at negative .10' on one side and positive .17' even though the total toe is within spec the individual toes are way out to lunch, like double the recommended. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if the toes were out. the changes they made in the alignment were quite dramatic which would account for a very different feel and handling characteristics.

Looking at the alignment results they did a fairly conservative alignment, your basic toe and go the rear toe is pretty close to 0 on both sides, you could have it adjusted to be closer to its max allowed front and rear which would improve handling characteristics. tire wear at the max would be slightly worse than where you are now but would be no worse than what is was with your old tires which were way beyond the max.

On my own 4S the last time I did my alignment I set my toes to pretty well the the max allowed and cambers to the minimum. I think it feels quite good
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Thank you jordanturbo,

So perhaps what I'm needing is a more aggressive alignment, what kind of settings would be a better balance?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:10 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm confused about what's happening here. If you max toe on the rears, you will eat the insides faster than you'd likely want. The fronts are more forgiving. So, honestly, the toe values look like a good alignment to me, and perhaps is little mild on the camber, which while those settings give you better wear, will definitey reduce the sharpness of handling and stability. Why did you lower the rears to 40psi, if you though they were soft to begin with? 44 is Porsche recommended for rear. Some people run higher. I've read that the PSSs are quite pressure sensitive. Also, what sizes did you go with? Are they the same sizes as what you had with your old PS2s?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:20 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Good to hear the alignment feedback, I took the PSS to the pressures I used to run in the PS2's. Tonight I'll run the pressures up to 44 rear and 40 front. I'll let you know the results.

Quick Reply: Major Disappointment With PSS vs PS2