Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: how often do you get a flat?
once a year
89.47%
once a month
5.26%
once a week
5.26%
once a day
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you get a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How often do you get a flat?

Just wondering how often you get flats or leaks?

It seems that since I have got my p-car it picks up an un natural amount of crap up off the road. It really was bothersome today. As I was about to leave work I noticed my rear driver tire was a little low so I check it, and sure enough it was down at 14psi. I pull it into the shop and notice that there is a shiny piece of metal about 1/2 inch long slightly protruding from my tread. I pull the tire off the rim and find that there is a butter knife folded in my tire against my rim. Like who the f**k runs over a butter knife and has it puncture your tire? luckily it was repairable and there was no damage to the rim since it was 8pm and I dont have any rears kicking around the shop. After fixing that tire I decided to check the others. I figured nothing should be wrong, I usually get pick up something every week or two, and when I had checked my pressures less than a week ago they were all fine.

But low and behold the other rear was down at 28, then 1 front was at 20 and the other 17. all that comes to mind is WTF!!! how do I have 4 leaks in as many days since my last pressure check. turns out I picked up 1 screw, 1 nail, and 1 valve stem with a bit of a tear in it. Given I have the shop and equipment to do this myself, but when I close the shop at 8pm and stick around until close to 10 fixing my tires I get a little frustrated.

PS: I live in a mature neighborhood with no construction, and dont drive by anything but typical summer road construction on my way to work.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just the one in the past 12 months, 1.5" nail into my 2 month old MPSC 295 rear. Discovered the evening before a track day of course.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

12 years, 68,000 mile and only one flat. It was a screw that I picked up at a job site. Th good thing is that it went flat overnight in my garage so not the hassle of having it go flat on the road.

I did ruin a Michelin PSS, only 2 months old with maybe 1,000 miles. Hit a 4" rock in the street in front of someone else's job site and it tore a cord in the sidewall. No flat though, and Costco replaced it under road coverage warranty, no charge.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

None in my Porsche. Several in my work GMC truck usually at my job sites.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

It's rare for me. I had a Pirelli P-Zero that developed a slow leak as it wore, but that's about it. No issues with other brands.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Zero in the past six years in the 996. Before that I picked up a nail/screw in a construction zone. So a total of one in 20 years of driving.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do not get them often. Maybe once every 5 years. But I got one on my pcar a couple weeks ago. I noticed the left front low and sure enough there was a shiny spot smack in the middle of the tire. Took it to my tire guy and he had the foresight to look for more and sure enough there was a second! It was barely visible from the outside. Both sheet metal screws. The fact that we run wide tires with sticky compounds may make us more prone to these flats.

But a butter knife?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

My wife's Honda picked up a nail last month. First flat tire problem for her in over 20 years.
I haven't had a puncture issue with my Porsche tires since I learned not to drive close to the edge of the road, or cut right turns tight. That was a very long time ago.

But for so many issues at once for you, it is possible that your were either vandalized at some point, or you just hit a spot in the road where a whole bunch of stuff fell off of a vehicle not long before you were there.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 AM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only one in the 996, my HRE valve stem was leaking. its a shame the guy at discont tire had no clue what to do and what kind of wheel or valve stem to use. LOL
Now in my diesel F-250 i pick up nails about every 2-3 months. I just fixed a flat last week and noticed yesterday that i had a screw in the front tire.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never in the Targa.
Once in my previous car.
So, my wife and I have racked up 300,000kms in a dozen years with one puncture. Had maybe a couple slow leaks that needed to be resealed.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Way less than once a year.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:02 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
But for so many issues at once for you, it is possible that your were either vandalized at some point, or you just hit a spot in the road where a whole bunch of stuff fell off of a vehicle not long before you were there.
Originally Posted by vincer77

As I have said before I usually have terrible luck with flats and end up getting one every couple weeks this is the first time with 4 in as many days though. I dont really think it was vandalism since the valve stem tear was so minor and it was not a clean tear which leads me to believe that it wasnt vandalism. I assume the knife was picked up on the street outside the Denny's I drive by on my way to work, I noticed the "rock in tire" sound after driving by, probably thought I just went over one of our cities numerous pot holes. As far as the nail and screw go am not sure. one looks to be a self tapping aluminum sheet metal screw, the other a small old rusty nail rom what looks like an air nailer.

But a butter knife?
The weirdest part is that it went in handle first, it was just the tip of the blade sticking out
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

One. Last month, a nail in a rear tire. Of course it was too close to the sidewall to patch. Of course it was on the morning I was going to drive up to the AZ Cool Pine Country to play some golf. Hankook V12's.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
The weirdest part is that it went in handle first, it was just the tip of the blade sticking out
When I worked at a tire store 20 years ago we found a pair of pliers in a tire & a pork chop bone in a different cars tire. It's like 2X4s sticking in trees during a tornado or hurricane. If you hit it fast enough & it's pointed right it will penetrate your tire & it dosen't always stay in the tire. Usual senario is rightfront tire runs over something in the gutter lane & kicks it up to stick in the rightrear tire. Personally I have never lost a tire before it's time just lots of slow leaks requiring a patch at my convience.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
mdhogan5
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a failure last week. My passenger side rear (285) shredded the inside shoulder. Only about 2000K miles on them, and relatively flat camber. I thought it might be the caliper dragging and creating a lot of heat, but I checked that the next day and it seemed fine.

That said, first flat (on the road) in 15 years.

2002 C4 Cab, X74 added

Quick Reply: How often do you get a flat?