Sponsored by:

$1400 to replace waterpump!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $1400 to replace waterpump!?

Water pump died on the way to work yesterday. Had it towed to dealer and he quotes $1400 to replace. Part is $270 at Suncoast so $1100 labor seems excessive to me.

I'll probably end up doing it myself but I'm curious: Anyone had their pump replaced and how much did it cost?

Thanks...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

I had that done, + rollers, rad cap, coolant, belt and WYAAI, plugs and coil packs.

I pick it up today. The bill is higher than yours, however I am not unhappy. My indy is in MA so there is no benefit in discussing the exact price (edit, but as I break it down, the water pump bits were a deal compared to your quote). FWIW, I have found the dealership prices to be consistently higher than my Indy. (edit and I trust my indy.......... stealership, not so much).

These cars are expensive to get fixed, even more so if you have to go to a dealership for service.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a quote last week to replace water pump. $700.00
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
zman2002 C4S
Advanced

$1040 paid in 2011 at local indy.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 AM
sandersd
Pro

Different dealer (North Houston) quoted me $560 labor plus parts. More reasonable.

The dealer I had it towed to wanted $433 just for the pump and gasket, $88 for the thermostat, and $38 for a gallon of coolant. Their prices are 60% higher than Suncoast. And that's just the parts. Their labor, same job mind you, is 1.6 times the other dealer's charge.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

It's a pain in a$$ to do it yourself but it'll only cost you less than $300 in parts to replace the pump, thermostat, and coolant.

I just did this about a month ago and the worst part is removing the hoses. If you have a tool to do that or an easy way it actually isn't that bad.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
It's a pain in a$$ to do it yourself but it'll only cost you less than $300 in parts to replace the pump, thermostat, and coolant.

I just did this about a month ago and the worst part is removing the hoses. If you have a tool to do that or an easy way it actually isn't that bad.
+1 I wasn't a fan of pulling the hoses and trying to keep the coolant out of my mouth and off the floor but, other than that (and the 1 bolt on the pump that is hard to get to) it wasn't too bad. Of course bleeding the system of air bubbles sucks too.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
Different dealer (North Houston) quoted me $560 labor plus parts. More reasonable.

The dealer I had it towed to wanted $433 just for the pump and gasket, $88 for the thermostat, and $38 for a gallon of coolant. Their prices are 60% higher than Suncoast. And that's just the parts. Their labor, same job mind you, is 1.6 times the other dealer's charge.
I have had good luck with Porsche North. May not always be the cheapest but it will be done right.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:03 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As preventative maintenance in 2011, bought a water pump through Sunset. Install by an Indy was $480 which included a couple of gaskets.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

The dealers have their fixed mark up structure... Suncoast (while a dealer) online parts is a separate business group from the dealership and is structured such that they can offer lower pricing.

If you are comfortable doing the work yourself I would encourage that you attempt it. I regularly have the owners, that are willing, assist me on repairs for their cars. It provides them a better understanding of their cars and in turn improves the comfort the have when small regular maintenance items need tackling.

Dive in and enjoy the one on one time with your P-Car.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by LC MotorSports
If you are comfortable doing the work yourself I would encourage that you attempt it. I regularly have the owners, that are willing, assist me on repairs for their cars. It provides them a better understanding of their cars and in turn improves the comfort the have when small regular maintenance items need tackling.

Dive in and enjoy the one on one time with your P-Car.
Thought I wanted to be a mechanic when I was younger. Took auto shop in high school and then worked at an Oldsmobile dealership long enough to realize I didn't want to do that for a living the rest of my life. So, the "better understanding" and "one on one time" doesn't hold too much alure for me anymore.

I'll do it myself, but I don't want to...
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Doing it for a living is one thing... Understanding your car is another. I went to school to be a Physicists then into Engineering... But, still I find that working around the Motorsports world much more enjoyable then designing/building Fighter Planes....
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
+1 I wasn't a fan of pulling the hoses and trying to keep the coolant out of my mouth and off the floor but, other than that (and the 1 bolt on the pump that is hard to get to) it wasn't too bad. Of course bleeding the system of air bubbles sucks too.
I made a huge mess with the coolant because unlike an oil change it just comes out of everywhere. I still have a stain on my garage floor from the disaster. Need to scrub that one of these days...

Thought I wanted to be a mechanic when I was younger. Took auto shop in high school and then worked at an Oldsmobile dealership long enough to realize I didn't want to do that for a living the rest of my life. So, the "better understanding" and "one on one time" doesn't hold too much alure for me anymore.

I'll do it myself, but I don't want to...
I'm far from a mechanic myself but my father is one. It takes me twice as long to do anything compared to a lot of guys on here but I feel some pride afterwards because it was a challenge for me and at the end of the day I save some cash.

Sure it may consume my whole weekend but if I wasn't doing that I would have been stuck doing housework anyway.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

A bad day in the garage is still better then a great day of doing yard work.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

I paid < $900 parts and labor to do this earlier in the year. I had a new pump, gasket and thermostat installed plus new Porsche coolant put in the car. This was at my indie but my dealer also quoted me in the low $900 range for the same job. I found out the dealer quote after the indie had the car fixed as, had I known this, I would have taken it to them instead because the price was similar.

Quick Reply: $1400 to replace waterpump!?