996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cracked Head

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So if you don't visibly see oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, what is a good way to monitor for intermix? Oil analysis every time you change your oil? I'm not anxious about it or anything but wouldn't want to drive it to death if it ever does happen.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I sent my head to Costa Mesa R&D/John Edwards. This was back in late 2008 early 2009. Not many shops were doing the fix back then. Back then when I called John as soom as I told him I had a crack and before I told him which headend where, he told me exactly where it would be (inner exhaust spewing seat on cylinder 1). I think this is the most common crack. There is another shop in Athens GA that is advertising in Excellence magazine that it fixes cracked 996 heads. I am sure that Flat 6 has a shop if they don't do them in house.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Not to push it too hard, but if the price of the crack repair has increased (I heard one quote of $800 recently) and you need valve work, etc. in addition to the crack repair, the $1,400 I want for the new head I have is not too bad of a deal.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM
GLIDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Carry out a compression and leak down test.. We see a huge portion of intermix cars with cylinder issues from the intermixed oil that has no boundary layer protection. Over 1/2 the cars that we could save have been compromised by being driven to death.

We also see accelerated rod bearing wear from intermix engines. Lots can be told by pulling the sump and cutting the filter open.

I see two cracks in that head. Both are repairable with our regimen. But definitely ensure the remainder of the engine is not compromised.
Roger. Sleeves visibly look ok so far -- no cracks, no d chunks, no scoring, etc. Will plan to ensure longevity with recommended testing.

View from the bottom below. Oil had been drained when I picked this motor up (bought locally off eBay, rolling the dice I know) -- filter was MIA as well. Guy I bought if from mentioned no coolant in oil and no shavings in filter. No signs of intermix when I dropped the pan. HELLA SLUDGE, but no signs of coolant or metal fragments whatsoever.

Last edited by GLIDE; 04-23-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Where do you see the sludge? Looks clean to me.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my opinion most of these cracks can be avoided altogether if 996 owners would adhere to 5 simple preventatives:

1.Change your Water pump long before it shows signs of failure (especially if your car still has the orignal WP - regardless of year or mileage! - These cars are at least 7 years old now)

2. Invest in the lower temp (160) stat - I don't want to get into an argument of whether it keeps temps lower or not - it does - no need to discuss.

3.Ensure the quality of your coolant and make certain you have the right mix for your region/driving conditions.

4. Make sure all hoses are in decent shape

5. Keep your radiators clean and ensure that all fans are working in both stages.

and then drive the Sh*t out of the car.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
In my opinion most of these cracks can be avoided altogether if 996 owners would adhere to 5 simple preventatives:

1.Change your Water pump long before it shows signs of failure (especially if your car still has the orignal WP - regardless of year or mileage! - These cars are at least 7 years old now)

2. Invest in the lower temp (160) stat - I don't want to get into an argument of whether it keeps temps lower or not - it does - no need to discuss.

3.Ensure the quality of your coolant and make certain you have the right mix for your region/driving conditions.

4. Make sure all hoses are in decent shape

5. Keep your radiators clean and ensure that all fans are working in both stages.

and then drive the Sh*t out of the car.
All that *might* help but it looks to me like they had a problem on the machine tool that does the finish size on the hold for the valve guide, resulting in a stress crack rooted in the base of the valve seat.

BTW, that's my head with the red crack detector all over it in the other Doug's post.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Ahh' Doug, you caught me
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Ahh' Doug, you caught me
It's all good - we went through that miserable experience together, separately!

Quick Reply: Cracked Head