Originally Posted by rpm's S2
... cousin Jake ....
?

Are they actually cousins?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I have found that few people read articles and fewer understand what they are reading. This is one reason I have pretty much stopped writing them. We receive questions via email that are covered in depth within the articles on my site and I find it funny when people begin their email by saying "I love your site and all the info, but I have a question".
Philip and I communicate from time to time, he is a very passionate Porsche follower that lives a life much like mine and shares a ton of solid information.
My outlook on the engine failures is different, as I experienced the dark side of the reality on a daily basis. We don't see cars for service work or general maintenance, outside of a few elective procedures and reconstructions everything that we see comes to us blown to bits. We specialize in those scattered engines, so we see a heavier concentration of worst case scenarios. The percentage of failure canot be calculated as the pieces of the equation that are necessary cannot be accurately attained.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to seeing this being discussion, and hi Jake

Maybe it's not possible to calculate the percentage of failures but I think it's fair to say that the majority of these engines will be fine. It wouldn't stop me from buying one.

People like Jake in the US and Hartech in the UK are the ones to contact if you do experience trouble, as they can rebuild engines to a better than new standard.

Cheers

Phil
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
?

Are they actually cousins?
oh this is very weird that "Phil Raby" posts right afterwards... You guys aren't related either, are you?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope, don't think we're related.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Old? He wrote it on September 12th.
I've a UK mag from at least 2 years ago residing in a basket in my loo, wherein Phil Raby opines almost verbatim the same as the snippet posted here.

Aside from Jake Raby's new mystery innovation there really hasn't been anything new said about the IMS issue that isn't pure conjecture. Accurate data/statistics simply do not exist that anyone can rely upon to make a truly informed decision as to how to proceed. All we really know is that significant numbers of the IMS bearings have failed (significant meaning, more than merely a hand-ful), when it does fail the consequences are catastrophic, and there engineering science to explain why the IMS bearing design itself is contributory to a weak-link situation.

The choices are limited and clear: Buy the car, or don't. Believe your IMS bearing might fail, or don't. Care, or don't. Retrofit an improved bearing, or don't. Purchase an extended warranty, or don't.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I've a UK mag from at least 2 years ago residing in a basket in my loo, wherein Phil Raby opines almost verbatim the same as the snippet posted here.

Aside from Jake Raby's new mystery innovation there really hasn't been anything new said about the IMS issue that isn't pure conjecture. Accurate data/statistics simply do not exist that anyone can rely upon to make a truly informed decision as to how to proceed. All we really know is that significant numbers of the IMS bearings have failed (significant meaning, more than merely a hand-ful), when it does fail the consequences are catastrophic, and there engineering science to explain why the IMS bearing design itself is contributory to a weak-link situation.

The choices are limited and clear: Buy the car, or don't. Believe your IMS bearing might fail, or don't. Care, or don't. Retrofit an improved bearing, or don't. Purchase an extended warranty, or don't.
It's all luck. Some guys think it won't happen to them and it doesn't. I find that most people that it happens to don't even know about it till it happens to them.

Phil and I probably aren't related by blood, but we share a name synonymous with Porsche passion :-)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well... some of us have not been to your 'loo'...

Or lowered the 'hood' on a convertible...
Or opened the 'bonnet' to look at the engine...
Or replaced a 'wing' after an accident...
Or owned a 'shooting brake"...
Or bought 'petrol'...
Or cleaned the bugs off the 'windscreen'...
Or tightened a nut with a 'spanner'...
Or lost to Italy on PKs in the Eurocup...

OK, perhaps that last one was a bit cruel.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
The question I have now is how long does the LN bearing last before it goes south?
We are waiting for a properly installed LN IMSB to go south before we can answer your question.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Raby
Good to seeing this being discussion, and hi Jake

Maybe it's not possible to calculate the percentage of failures but I think it's fair to say that the majority of these engines will be fine. It wouldn't stop me from buying one.

People like Jake in the US and Hartech in the UK are the ones to contact if you do experience trouble, as they can rebuild engines to a better than new standard.

Cheers

Phil
Phil, in the article on your site you mention reading a magazine that supported the scaremongering. Which mag was that, and please don't take this personally, why would I not believe them and believe your assessment?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Aside from Jake Raby's new mystery innovation there really hasn't been anything new said about the IMS issue that isn't pure conjecture.
Yup. And yet message boards like this persist in populating the internet with content that makes a 996 look like a bad idea, despite - as you say - there being nothing new to say about it for years now. Kind of sad.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 03996
Phil, in the article on your site you mention reading a magazine that supported the scaremongering. Which mag was that, and please don't take this personally, why would I not believe them and believe your assessment?
The information in the article was sound and correct but it was rather wordy and sensationalist. In essence, though, it said the same as my blog.

Cheers

Phil
Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jake, you must get yourself over here some time and we can meet up at the annual Porsche event at Raby Castle
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

>> Believe your IMS bearing might fail, or don't. Care, or don't.

My '99 smokes on startup, leaks oil, blows a little coolant.. the chains rattle ... the DM flywheel rattles, and yet about once a month, for a full weekend, all day, it pulls hard beyond 7000 RPM and teaches $120,000 GT3s what it means to brake hard and corner faster Just drive the damn things hard and you will be rewarded. If you idle around hoping to save your motor you are missing the point of Porsche ownership!

Attached Images  

Last edited by Apex996; 09-20-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE

My '99 smokes on startup, leaks oil, blows a little coolant.. the chains rattle ... the DM flywheel rattles, and yet about once a month, for a full weekend, all day, it pulls hard beyond 7000 RPM and teaches $120,000 GT3s what it means to brake hard and corner faster Just drive the damn things hard and you will be rewarded. If you idle around hoping to save your motor you are missing the point of Porsche ownership!

[/QUOTE]

Well said! Exactly right also. If you don't drive it like you stole it at least once a day, don't own one. The damage done to these motors from just lugging around and being garage queens, far outweighs the IMS issue. IMO

Quick Reply: Philip Raby on 996/M96/IMS/RMS, etc.