996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LN bearing life

Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LN bearing life

So here is a question. I swapped out my IMS for an LN bearing at 32,000 miles 2.5 years ago car is now going on 56,000 and heading to major service soon at 60,000 miles along with my clutch, AOS and water pump. So how long will the LN bearing last before it is an issue or need replacement?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question, I am interested also. I just had my LN installed a few months ago.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I think the conventional wisdom is now that even the LN retrofit is a wear item. I'm sure an expert will chime in, but I'd bet they'll say every 50,000 miles or some number like that.

I've had mine installed for over three years. For me, that has not added up to a lot of miles. Since the LN bearing is lubricated by engine oil, I just add it to the list of reasons to change the oil often. If I were keeping the car, I'd probably have a look in a couple of years or whenever the next excuse to drop the engine pops up.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LN recommends changing out its bearing every 40k(?) miles or so. The exact mileage is on their website in their literature, however, it is clear that they consider it a "maintenance" item requiring replacement. It's not a secret hidden or buried somewhere or something that people might have different opinions on. It was expressly not designed to last the lifetime of the engine.

-Eric

Edit: I went to their website and found the quote: "It may be advisable to consider the IMS a service item, like a timing belt in many modern cars. Seeing that we started to see more MY05 engines with IMS failures in late 2009 as well as failures in MY06 (with revised 3rd gen bearing) in late 2010, that may suggest that bearing replacement (or inspection at bare minimum) should be considered as part of the normal maintenance every 4-5 years or 50-60k miles, maybe even sooner with the case of the single row bearing."

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Last edited by Sue Esponte; 09-19-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I think that's a good way to look at it - a regular maintenance item. Even if you use ceramic in the bearing as LN Engineering does, it's still prone to wear. Ceramic is a much harder material than metal, but it still wears. I'm sure that the guys at LN Engineering have studied the tribological performance of their ceramic bearing compared to metal bearings, but we'll have even more information as more of these bearings are put to use in M96 engines.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

40,000 miles? ****, I though being ceramic and oil lubricated would last longer than that.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought the ceramic triple row bearing upgrade. Those bearings are going to have to last. Period.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I used to have some neat facts... I am going from memory.
But I heard, they have bearings out there with over 100K on them
Mine has 45 K on it

The part I cant remember is the life of a ceramic bearing vs the type that was in the car.
the life is I think 7X longer.... I THINK.. you can do research on it Im sure
Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I think that's a good way to look at it - a regular maintenance item. Even if you use ceramic in the bearing as LN Engineering does, it's still prone to wear. Ceramic is a much harder material than metal, but it still wears. I'm sure that the guys at LN Engineering have studied the tribological performance of their ceramic bearing compared to metal bearings, but we'll have even more information as more of these bearings are put to use in M96 engines.
I agree with that, granted I have a new clutch as of this year and the LN dual row bearings. I will hope they last till the next time I need a clutch and get it done again at the same time. LN did say even with their bearings...nothing is bulletproof....but I do like the piece of mind having it installed.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The bearing design is te root of the issue.. That's why we have developed the IMS Solution and I am writing this message from the passenger seat of a Porsche equipped with it that's been driven over 5,000 miles in one week.
The single row bearings (01-05) are simply too small to carry the loads, the ceramic bearing makes up for a lot of the deficiencies but it's not a be all end all.
The IMS Solution is a once and for all bearing retrofit that applies a design change. If it didn't work we wouldn't have driven from Georgia to Edmonton Canada flawlessly. This is the final test, but it's more of a succes tour than a test since the development has been complete for months now.

The 40k lifespan is conservative, many bearings have way more than that on them already. Charles and I don't like to overstate and under deliver, quite the opposite actually.
Look for the solution to debut for install at Flat 6 early in 2013, kits will be available in 2014.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As an easily accessible, replaceable part (at least up through 2004/5) -- I think the IMS just isn't a big deal. I had a Fiat Dino with the 2 liter Ferrari engine in it. Common knowledge was that if you babied the engine, it might last 25k before a full rebuild. If you drove it enthusiastically, you might only get 12-15k out of the engine. It was not a cheap engine to rebuild.

A little IMS bearing....especially one that you can replace when you buy the car and then when you replace the clutch?....just isn't a problem. Even replacing the AOS, water pump, radiator reservior, etc., are just modest accessory items.

Aside from all the teeth gnashing and trembling of hands....the M96 engine (especially the MKII) has been a solid engine.

Are there some wear/maintenance items? Yep. If I wanted an Accord, I would have bought one.

I look at the 991's and I'm quite pleased to have a 996.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I agree.. It's a wear item, just because the factory never meant forit to be changed doesn't mean anything. Other cars need timing belts at 50-60k and those can cost more than an IMS Retrofit.

Now that the procedure is no longer black art an even Porsche dealerships are doing them, it's only going to be more accepted.

A few years ago, after I had retrofitted the first cars we were crucified on these forums just for coming up with the process. It's funny how things change after about 7,000 units are sold.

Now others jumped on the bandwagon, there are install videos and thousands of posts all over the net from guys who have retrofitted. My guess is the Solution will be even more viral, though it is twice the cost.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Is the solution converting the inside of the IMS to a friction bearing?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I agree.. It's a wear item, just because the factory never meant forit to be changed doesn't mean anything. Other cars need timing belts at 50-60k and those can cost more than an IMS Retrofit.

Now that the procedure is no longer black art an even Porsche dealerships are doing them, it's only going to be more accepted.

A few years ago, after I had retrofitted the first cars we were crucified on these forums just for coming up with the process. It's funny how things change after about 7,000 units are sold.

Now others jumped on the bandwagon, there are install videos and thousands of posts all over the net from guys who have retrofitted. My guess is the Solution will be even more viral, though it is twice the cost.
Good point on the dealerships installing them. I was surprised when I asked my local dealer if they would do it and they willingly took on the challenge.

It's reassuring seeing the little sticker in the engine bay knowing that at least I've got that one engine concern covered for a while.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The IMS Solution is a once and for all bearing retrofit that applies a design change.
I'm sure you'll tell us in time but I will ask anyways. Does the "design change" mean a change that's self contained in the IMS itself or a change outside of it? And will the IMS Solution be a DIY like your current IMS retrofit?

Since you had used the wording "change" instead of "improvement" are we to assume the system has been totally revamped somehow that operates differently than the existing system?

Will you still be carrying the IMS retrofit once the IMS Solution comes to market?

I'm sure people are dying to know and have a lot of questions. Great way to hype up and tease us way ahead of schedule. You're cruel, even Movies don't do that to us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LN bearing life