996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clutch and while you are in there

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts

Will you resent it if you don't have it done, or worry that you should have? Anything that takes away from your enjoyment of the car should be corrected. Interesting that their invoice had it listed - is it your usual trustworthy shop?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:41 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
What is the benefit of having the newer arm?
Not sure - just think that since Porsche tends to make improvements that I'm better off with the latest and greatest and to have it replaced while it is an inexpensive thing to do given the extent of the overall repair.

Originally Posted by leftlane
Will you resent it if you don't have it done, or worry that you should have? Anything that takes away from your enjoyment of the car should be corrected. Interesting that their invoice had it listed - is it your usual trustworthy shop?
It will bug me because it was supposed to be done. I'm not even sure if I would notice a difference or if there is any chance that the original could develop a probelem

Usual shop, dealer I purchased the car from over 5 years ago and only place that ever worked on the car. Only difference is a fairly new service writer and I am sensing that his mission is to increase revenue rather than pay attention to the customers best interest. The previous service writer was in the shop a lot and knew these cars, the new guy - not so much.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

My '99 996 had the original clutch lever and had 200 000miles. The ball cup side was warn, no suprise there, so they last. Replaced it with another original part that was in a much better shape. So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. The mechanic said it was in a good shape.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John i agree about the service writer. I miss Ed who really knew the cars. I do like the tech's and think there both good guys.

I have noticed the charges seem higher this year then prior years. And the new service guy was trying to get me to replace front and back brakes because they were wearn down to 5/32" of an inch and of course they need new rotors.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
John i agree about the service writer. I miss Ed who really knew the cars. I do like the tech's and think there both good guys.

I have noticed the charges seem higher this year then prior years. And the new service guy was trying to get me to replace front and back brakes because they were wearn down to 5/32" of an inch and of course they need new rotors.
Thank you - as I think more about it the "new guy" was really quick to refund 4 hours of labor after I pointed out that he split labor charges and seemed to have buried the 4 hour charge further in the invoice. He tried to justify it saying the first labor line was to replace the IMSB and the second one was for replacing the clutch and the AOS. I stayed calm and just said "no" - the way Ed explained it was to write for the IMSB and there is no labor for replacing the clutch with a new pack instead of reinstalling the old one - and the AOS is right there.

My sense was that he felt "caught" as he was so darn quick to refund money AND offer to tear the car down and replace the throw out arm with labor on them. Rightly so as the invoice even said they replaced it. I should have them do it simply out of principle.

And he tried to sell me a 75k service for $441. When I questioned the amount because it is only a "check and inspect" he said that it was because it included the oil change. Until I reminded him that the oil change was a part of the IMSB retrofit.

I sure do miss Ed - I am pretty sure he is enjoying himself though - probably still touring Europe and collecting Mercedes.

Quick Reply: Clutch and while you are in there