996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why NOT TO drive in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

I spent a lot of money on this car and I intend to get as much joy out of it as possible, weather be damned.

Besides, I live in Seattle. If I never drove it in the rain, I could only drive it two or three days a year!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Plus, driving in the rain makes my power slides so much easier
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive two. One for perfect weather and one for not so perfect weather.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 PM
JaxJim
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it rain or shine UNLESS I just washed it. Then I'll keep it tucked in the garage. Nowadays I work from home much of the time so I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 AM
rasank
Track Day

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Wow!!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 996pp
Since the rainy season is rolling over here in california i thought i might bring this topic up.
I have heard and read alot of people don't drive their cars in the rain and can't seem to understand the reason behinde that. Mine is my daily driver so i don't have a choice it gets driven rain or shine. I can understand snow and salt (which we never get in california) take a toll on the car but whats water gona do?
Has anybody had any problems or rust issues?

Arthur
___________2003 996 aero kit
Art,
Im with you. I drive mine like I stole it and thats why I bought it.. My wife has breast implants and Yeah I bought them for you to look at and me to play with. Treat those things the same way.

Car is getting ready to turn 150,000 miles.

I do put it away when salt hits the roads for snow and Ice.

My UPS guy just bought a New Ragtop Rustang GT, I told him the other day. we will have to jump in the cars and go tot pittsburgh one nite for dinner... He said "Oh no Im not going to take it that far for dinner. Too many miles... It only hace 1500 miles on it" and he has had it for a year... WTF?????????
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If that guy drops dead tomorrow the next owner will really appreciate the low miles

WTF? On my car if I drop dead your getting as many miles as I can put on it, a few nicks and scrapes, dings and everything else that comes with DD. But who cares those are my nicks, scrapes and dings and I will know I enjoyed every minute of ownership.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Art,
Im with you. I drive mine like I stole it and thats why I bought it.. My wife has breast implants and Yeah I bought them for you to look at and me to play with. Treat those things the same way.

Car is getting ready to turn 150,000 miles.

I do put it away when salt hits the roads for snow and Ice.

My UPS guy just bought a New Ragtop Rustang GT, I told him the other day. we will have to jump in the cars and go tot pittsburgh one nite for dinner... He said "Oh no Im not going to take it that far for dinner. Too many miles... It only hace 1500 miles on it" and he has had it for a year... WTF?????????

99/911 Aerosmith 6 speeder
I also have a strong respect for the 928.
Im all with you Shark Attack
+100 to all of you that enjoy your p-cars the way these cars were made to be enjoyed.
I remember 15 years ago my dad used to have a shop and one morning a flat bed brought his friends Diamblo in that had barely 2k miles on it whith a molten engine cover due to not driving it the way it was supposed to be driven.

Drive it like i stole it.......
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Holy crap those are some shiny Guards Red P cars! Love the 951!

Rain is fine, especially in the winter - it washes all the salt off the bottom of the car!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Started raining last night so i took the car out for a drive to get the underbellly washed.....
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
zeeeeeee
Track Day

I love driving my car in the rain. In SoCal it does not rain that often and when it does, I want to enjoy it. I have a C4 and it handles so much better that my other cars because of the AWD and PSM.

PS. I feel safer in my P car and I know it is going to handle better in the rain compared to other cars.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Schmucklefutz
Intermediate

When I do finally get a 996, I'll be avoiding deep snow (without winter tires) and strong winds (blows too much gravel around). Rain by itself is no big deal to me.

There is however, one type of weather I live in mortal terror of when I'm driving/riding, and that's hail. It's the one weather condition I know of that has the potential to destroy a car without regard to the care given to driving it.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

We are galvanized... Correct? So rust is pretty remote? Keep it clean and the drain holes clean and rinse it if in salt...

Said it before on other threads... Great thing about this car is how great it really is with the price of entry... Drive it like a Beetle and look a hell of a lot cooler and have a hell of lot more fun.

JKC
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Her 996 is no garage queen (especially since we have no garage) and in its 12 years with us it has enjoyed playing in all types of weather. Being a C4, not taking out in the rain or snow would be to miss the most fun...

It hasn't been a DD in a long time though so it is still only at 65k. Still put a smile on my face on the way to work this morning and still pulls 19mpg when I don't act like I stole it (which is rare )
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

I do not drive my 75/ 911s in the rain, period!!! To much chance of rust starting. I have had my 951 in the rain before and its scary in the mountains when the boost comes on and its wet. Wet roads = parked for it!! I am driving the 944 n/a today and its dumping rain in the Bay area. Had alot of fun driving up Hwy 9 today in it.

Quick Reply: Why NOT TO drive in the rain