996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New paperweight - IMSB

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 AM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a good number of Porsche aftermarket suppliers that provide a multitude of upgraded and more
robust parts from suspension, to radiators to .... you name it.

Flat 6 is the ONLY developer to design a replacement option for IMS - which is known to cause engine failures (the % will never be known). The Porsche community is not naive and there is no need to by hyper-critical of a developer that's manufactured a part that is more robust - and that he is rightfully proud to market.
Vent your frustration towards Porsche for creating the IMS gremlin.
BTW the 997 MK II and onwards eliminated the IMS..............
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

The first place I heard of an IMS explosion was at an indy shop where I took my 996 for a PPI. He told me they all eventually fail and the retrofit is the only way to save yourself from doom. I hedn't everheard of Rennlist or LN. I also spoke to a friend of a friend who is the service director of a very large Porsche dealership. I asked if the service history of my future car showed an IMSB retro-fit and was told that they only used original Porsche parts. I think it's possible that some of the indy shops have found a way to market these bearings through fear tactics. After a year of ownership and 8 months on my LN bearing, I can say that I no longer fear the meltdown and I enjoy my car every day. I'm not a good gambler. I think Jake has found a need and filled it. There's nothing wrong with selling a product. We live in a country whose economy is based on free enterprise. I sell cars for a living. Jake sells engineering. Where's the problem? I don't feel I have to defend my occupation and I don't see why anyone would question the motives of an enterprise like LN.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Trust me, more people complain about free information than anything else. Welcome to 2012, I just hope the Mayans were right.

Thats not being defensive, its pure intensity. I am the most intense person that most will ever meet. I was raised in a way where life was real and men were men, they didn't take crap and was taught that the only way around a problem was straight through the damn middle of it. People today don't like that.

2013. Its done when its done, three years in it so far.

Here is a page of the chapter I am working on today... You saw it here first.
:-)
Hi Jake, best of luck with your book, it looks great! FWIW I think you might have 'Carrera' spelled wrongly.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Off topic but had to say:

Mark, your car is a beauty. A black Porsche looks awesome when its clean.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Alpine...I hear you. Of course the excerpt from Jake's book he posted had to feature the IMS. Regarding the pic of all those returned IMS bearings, how many people that see that photo assumes they are all failed bearings? If it makes you sleep better to upgrade your IMS bearing, by all means do it. Just realize the reason you did it was due to threads like these.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Default Off Topic II

Thanks KrazyK. Yours looks great too. It's amazing how good this paint really is. My car is 11 years old and looks better than most of the new cars on our lot. Clean definately adds to it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Alpine...I hear you. Of course the excerpt from Jake's book he posted had to feature the IMS. Regarding the pic of all those returned IMS bearings, how many people that see that photo assumes they are all failed bearings? If it makes you sleep better to upgrade your IMS bearing, by all means do it. Just realize the reason you did it was due to threads like these.
wow, amazing how you know the reason why everybody replaced their imsb.

I'd argue its more the threads in which a guy with a previously great condition 996 ends up with a roller worth $3k-$5k with the option to spend 16k on a crate motor. You want examples...there are quite a few
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

This is what amazes me. You are so disgusted by the comments you get but just keep coming back. Now there are three possible reasons for this: 1)you are an idiot; 2)you can't stop yourself from constantly marketing the product or 3)you just want to help people.

This comment tells me that it ain't #3 "Done with people." And I don't think you're an idiot. That only leaves....

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Thats the exact mindset that makes me want to never develop another item, never sell another dollars worth and just walk away. Its the reason why we are ending retail sales and no longer dealing directly with the public for anything other than a complete engine. Done with people.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I had to send my original back to LN for the warranty to be active on the new one, or so I am told.
I insisted my installer return the bearing to me instead of discarding it.
Did not know L&N Engineering offered a warranty. Can I still return the bearing to L&N and get the warranty?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wow, amazing how you know the reason why everybody replaced their imsb.

I'd argue its more the threads in which a guy with a previously great condition 996 ends up with a roller worth $3k-$5k with the option to spend 16k on a crate motor. You want examples...there are quite a few
Exactly my point. "Threads like these" include those who post about their personal IMS disasters. Also if "quite a few" is the best quantification someone can make about the rate of these failures, then I will just keep rereading my post.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Exactly my point. "Threads like these" include those who post about their personal IMS disasters. Also if "quite a few" is the best quantification someone can make about the rate of these failures, then I will just keep rereading my post.
ok, but fear mongering (or whatever people call jakes posts) and people posting their experiences of engine failures are distinct things.

I'm not sure we'll ever be able to get a good idea about the percentage of M96s that retire due to IMSB failure. But quite a few is enough for me to realize this is far from an isolated incident.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ok, but fear mongering (or whatever people call jakes posts) and people posting their experiences of engine failures are distinct things.

I'm not sure we'll ever be able to get a good idea about the percentage of M96s that retire due to IMSB failure. But quite a few is enough for me to realize this is far from an isolated incident.
Fair enough!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM
trapperdog
Instructor

I read Rennlist for two reasons. First, to learn as much as I can about my car through other owner's experiences, and secondly, for the sheer entertainment value in some of the postings. It is obvious that the IMSB is one of MANY issues that "could" affect my ownership experience. Prior to 2008, there was no way to replace the bearing without a total motor tear down. So LNE/FSI, for whatever reason, invests time and money and comes up up with a workable solution for replacing the IMSB. Now I, as an owner of a car with a known catastrophic failure potential of unknown scope, have a choice, where before there was none. Anybody see a down side yet? What I don't get is why people get so jacked out of shape when Jake posts his experiences here on Rennlist. Sure, he is marketing his product. Yes, there is some bias in his findings, but his experiences are real, and I, for one, want to hear everything he has to say. I'll decide in the end whether or not it has value to me. The last thing I want to see is a very experienced member and engine builder quit Rennlist and stop sharing his knowledge because a tiny percentage of the readers think his posts are scare tactics and bull****.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^
Well said Trapper!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What happened to getting back on topic?

Any post with IMS or Blown Engine =

A post from Jake which leads to :

It's the same $hit, different post. Very predictable at the very least.

I will contribute to this one last time though.

I don't think anyone can disagree on the vast knowledge Jake has and brought to the Porsche community and his passion for Porsches which has earned respect from people for this aspect and/or him in general.

Some people seem to have issues in the way his post conveys the marketing aspect of it which some term as fear tactics. To be fair and objective, Jake is a sponsor here and has created a great product and has every right to talk about it at anytime.

Where the issue comes in for me and others is we all know he has a great product and why not let it speak for itself? There are quite a few people that will and have vouched and recommended his product(s) and services in quite a few post dealing with blown engines or IMS issues.
Why not just offer up the technical side and leave some of the marketing out of it?
Why not create a separate post to formally introduce a new product so the whole post can be centered around the new product(book and the new IMS for example) instead of injecting it in an existing post and eventually ending up where we're at now?

Who's to say his marketing tactic/strategy is wrong or right? Who knows. He can do what he wishes however I'm just conveying what I feel and what others might feel.

Other than that, I have no beef with Jake and really admire the fact that he runs a tight ship. Now only if Comcast and AT&T could run a tight ship like him.

Quick Reply: New paperweight - IMSB