996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The 996 legacy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the perspective of a first time recent 996 owner, less than 1% of the population knows the difference between a 993, a 996 and a 991. Since I bought my 996, EVERY neighbor, friend, work colleague, passer by loves my car. Not a single one of them has said, "hmmm, that car is decent but I would much rather have an air cooled engine." And none of them can guess how old it is. Almost all of them think it's newer than it is.

In my newbie view, they are ALL beautiful cars, and I am so thankful that the "enthusiasts" out there hate the 996, or I never could have afforded one

Plus I didn't buy it so I could check it's value for resale some day. I bought it to drive it and enjoy it.

Love you guys
Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Another point about 996's...

Their value is almost entirely based on condition, mileage and residual of original price. No speculative element. 993's and 911's seem to have a large speculative component, which might go up or down.

I have zero interest in purchasing cars as speculative investments. Minimize cost of ownership? Of course! Maximize enjoyment and bang for buck? Absolutely! But as soon as my car becomes my investment, I probably wouldn't want to drive it the way a Porsche was meant to be driven.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrrockhound
Uhh, I think it was just an expression.
+1

Exactly!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
and I think that guy is a bit nutty. who knows.
I'm the one who is a bit nutty???...now THAT is funny.

Study the words "literally" and "figuratively" and come back to this discussion when you feel you have a good grasp on these concepts.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

It just so happens that there are two good articles pertaining to the “996 legacy” in the latest issues of GT Porsche and 911 & Porsche World magazines. Does anyone have these that they could post?

In the former, the magazine has an article explaining why the animosity towards the 996, and to a lesser extent the 997, is undeserved. It also mentions a great point which has escaped me to this point, and that is the 996s resemblance to the original 911. When designing the 996, Porsche started with a clean slate and was able to harken back to the clean lines of the original 911 design.

In 911 & Porsche World they have an article about the most underrated 911s and, of course, the 996 is on the list. The MKI 996 to be exact(the early 993s made the list as well). In this article too, the writer makes the point that the 996 is undeserving of the criticism it receives and that in actuality it is an excellent car. In fact, I think they mention that it may be the most underrated Porsche of all.

It’s a great time to be a 996 enthusiast, at least in the eyes of the aficionado magazines, so good that I think my car stopped crying(weeping from RMS) and I think I can detect a hint of a smile from its front fascia…and I mean this LITERALLY...HAHA
Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by producerjohn
As we all know a 996 MK1 looks like a Boxster from the front because it IS a Boxster from the front. Kiss of death. They will continue to spiral downward in value.
A longhood 911S's resemblance to a 912 doesn't seem to have hurt its value too much. I think there's a fanboy feedback loop at work here that says certain models will always be lesser, and public opinion follows.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
IIt also mentions a great point which has escaped me to this point, and that is the 996s resemblance to the original 911. When designing the 996, Porsche started with a clean slate and was able to harken back to the clean lines of the original 911 design.
Here's the web site of the guy who designed the 996. There are some photos of sketches and models for the car. If you really look at your 996 carefully, as a piece of design rather than as a car or whatever, you can see how incredibly respectful of the past Lai was with it. I think they will look a lot different and more pure to most eyes in a few years, when they're officially old.

http://www.designnstyling.com
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM
dmw996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1st post:
I have dreamed of owning a 911 for 30 years now. I have owed numerous other German cars trying to get close to the feeling you only can achieve from driving these magical cars. Three months ago I found the cleanest ’01 Artic Silver with 66K on the clock for $20k – showroom quality, clean title, so new it stunk. I was totally ruined and hooked after the first test drive. I will never forget the rush the 1st time I shifted out of 3rd gear at 80 MPH and hearing that 3.4 suck so hard over my left ear during – yes during the test drive. And yes - I’ll do the usual PM’ing - IMS, RMS, AOS, WP, clutch, starter, etc. and still have an affordable ‘super-car’ with money left over. I figure that the fun-factor plus depreciation should always be worth somewhere in the neighborhood of what I paid for it.
I tried so hard a year earlier to get all worked up over an ’86 911 Turbo for $20K that a really good friend had pampered for the last 10 years. It had a bigger turbo & I/C, wheels, the works. It was/is a super nice car but the small increase in performance (which really I don’t even remember now during the test drive now) DIDN’T hold a candle to the balance of power and luxury I get from twisting on my 996.
Very few things in my life have struck me in the way that my 996 has from day one – all for $20k.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Jabberwocky
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Love the one you're with

They're all cool dudes. Drive em hard. John
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I don't know if I have ever disagreed more strongly with a comment in the 12 years I have been on Rennlist.
I like to think that us narrow-body guys drive the Keira Knightley of the 996 world. Nothing wrong with that shape!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Also agree that a 996TT is an even better idea if you can stretch to a $35K-$40K budget, which should net you a no tip/no cab/no salvage clean 40K-60K mile TT.

That's what you would need to budget for a nice non-turbo 993...Personally, I'd take the 996TT in a heartbeat!
No Cab? Hmmm.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
No Cab? Hmmm.
Just personal taste... Also, Colorado seems to be too hot/sunny in the summer, to cold in the winter, and cabs in general are to windy/noisy for me on the highway, so it really cuts down on the amount of time I'd have the top dropped.

If it's any consolation, even though I'm not a fan of looks of 996 Cab's, 993 Cabs IMHO look even worse!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by producerjohn

MkII 996 narrow bodies with the improved headlights still look Miata soft. Combine that with norrow body shape (ergo no shape) you have a very poor looking car. They may be great to drive, but aesthetically they are awful.
The market has spoken and the non wide-bodied 996's are the loser.

I respect your opinion. I hope you respect my opinion that you are flat wrong. Concerning the part about the market has spoken, the market has made us 996 owners the winner.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just personal taste... Also, Colorado seems to be too hot/sunny in the summer, to cold in the winter, and cabs in general are to windy/noisy for me on the highway, so it really cuts down on the amount of time I'd have the top dropped.

If it's any consolation, even though I'm not a fan of looks of 996 Cab's, 993 Cabs IMHO look even worse!
That makes me feel better!

Not really.

IMHO, there is nothing like cruising with the top down listening to the "noise" coming from the sweet flat 6 tipped off with some Fister D's. I get that CO may not be the best place for a ragtop, but you are calling my sweet ride ugly. But, in the spirit of the Holidays, I'll forgive you!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? Saying one looks worse than the other is like saying Erin Andrews looks worse than Scarlett Johansson.

Originally Posted by BruceP
Here's the web site of the guy who designed the 996. There are some photos of sketches and models for the car. If you really look at your 996 carefully, as a piece of design rather than as a car or whatever, you can see how incredibly respectful of the past Lai was with it. I think they will look a lot different and more pure to most eyes in a few years, when they're officially old.

http://www.designnstyling.com
Thanks so much for this! I wish there was some more meat to that website, but it's an instant Favorite on my website list. I would love to get a poster size of some of those sketches to hang in my garage.

And a warm welcome to you dmw996!

Quick Reply: The 996 legacy