Sponsored by:

996 swap to LS3/7 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I think this is a very cool project. I also think that the odds of a 996 (in any form short of a GT3) becomming a classic is a pipedream. This looks like it will be a car I would love to have as a DD! Please keep the thread going!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Imre said:

I think your thread proves it can be done at minimum cost. I hate to see a clean C4S modded when it could be a classic one day. The hybrid build will pretty much render the car a novelty. Its his so whatever he wants is fine.
Yes but I got extremly lucky. It wasn't an IMS bearing faliure. Instead just a chain tensioner pad broke and caused a bank of exhaust valves to bend. If I had to do a conversion, I would fabricate all the necesarry parts for it but tyis can time time.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

What happens with insurance and emissions with this sort of conversion?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a great running 2003 C4S w/ 62,000 miles, does not burn oil, no drips, I don't know if it's had an IMS retro-fit... engine is still in the car for a test drive before selling it. Engine for sale. $8,500 all accessories included, less the exhaust and sensors.

I've had this itch for 30 years to do this, back in the 70's I nearly bought an early 911 w/ a small block Chevy. I'm going to use the Renegade conversion. I stopped recently in Las Vegas and met w/ the owner, Scott Mann. His parts and conversion accessories are impeccable, and well thought out. I'm going to install a crate LS3, 480 HP engine.

I would like to communicate w/ anyone who's done this... I know my Porsche Purist friends will hate me, but I think it will be a fun project, something different...
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

fwiw, you can get a good running ls2 shortblock for about $1,500. Put on a set of ported/aftermarket heads, a decent cam, and lsx intake, and you'll make 450rwhp for maybe another $3,500.

Add the $8k for the conversion kit and you have $13k in parts for an engine that will reliably make 100rwhp more than even a hot 996 build (that will cost about $15k)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Agree with Quad 100%!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So we should all do this? We could do a major thread with each simultaneous build. QC, your theory makes little sense. Some prefer to keep their 996 a Porsche. If this was a rough 996 I could see it but not a pristine C4S. What a waste.

450HP? So what? Why stop there? Add nitrous, or TT, or SC, or drag slicks. I never claimed to buy a 996 for racing so how much is enough? I would rather have a stock 996TT.

So someones doing another engine swap. Good for them. The real challenge would be to repair and improve the M96.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mitch, feel free to PM me.

I went with a used LS1, it's by far the cheapest method. IMO for the price, either used LS1, or new/used LS3/LS7.

KK - the M96 is a joke of an engine.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
What happens with insurance and emissions with this sort of conversion?
Cali requires a new engine or engine from the same year. Then the car would need catalytic converters (easy); the PCV system kept in tact; and access to the OBDII port for the LS1 ECM.

As for insurance, why would that have any effect?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

So we should all do this? We could do a major thread with each simultaneous build. QC, your theory makes little sense. Some prefer to keep their 996 a Porsche. If this was a rough 996 I could see it but not a pristine C4S. What a waste.
you really are bothersome aren't you?

No, you shouldn't all do this. That said, obviously the concept appeals to people. If you want to keep a porsche powerplant in your car, no one is suggesting you can't. In fact, please do, as I think you and Jake would need to break up if you put an LS motor in your 996.

Pristine C4s? who cares. This is not some one off rarity that will be worth millions. In 30 years, it may be worth a couple grand more than what its worth now.

I know your type. Concerned more about the value of the car than driving it. Look, you can't afford it, thats cool, buy a poster and stare at that in the garage. Probably give you the same satisfaction and you won't have to worry about driving it hurting its precious value.

450HP? So what? Why stop there? Add nitrous, or TT, or SC, or drag slicks. I never claimed to buy a 996 for racing so how much is enough? I would rather have a stock 996TT.

So someones doing another engine swap. Good for them. The real challenge would be to repair and improve the M96.
Wow, I didn't realize power was only for drag racing. Hey, when ho hum sedans make 400+ hp, some people want more than the 320bhp porsche gave them. You'd rather have a 996TT...some people wouldn't. maybe they like the simplicity, lightweight, durability, and NA torque that the LSX motor provides. Until they come to your house and do the swap in your car without your authorization, maybe you should go back to oil threads to parrot DT-who-gives-a-****

Once again, no one is suggesting you go out and do the swap on your own car. If you want more power though, it certainly is one of the most cost effective ways of doing so, especially if you have a hurt motor already. (since you can sell your M96 and recover a lot of the cost).

Lets lay it out:

M96: Remove from car, send to jake along with check for $15k, get back an engine with 360bhp
lsx: Buy motor, add conversion kit, odds and ends, etc....$17k (generous). Sell working M96, re-coop $6k

So for $4k less, you end up with over 100bhp more. If you can't find that appeal, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by white out
Cali requires a new engine or engine from the same year. Then the car would need catalytic converters (easy); the PCV system kept in tact; and access to the OBDII port for the LS1 ECM.

As for insurance, why would that have any effect?
Our insurance here will doesn't like any modified cars. It's written you have to notify them if you modify anything. A major mod like a complete engine would probably warrant them dropping you and not getting insurance.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

KK - the M96 is a joke of an engine.
Wow, why do these haters even bother to own a 996?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off like it has been said, our cars will never be a real collector car. The numbers of cars produced won't support it. None of us will live long enough to see that happen. So in the interim I'm going to have some fun doing the project, I'm not worried if it doesn't pencil out or not. For me the project is the project. Plus, when I'm done I can lift the engine lid and actually see a motor, not just an air cleaner and a dip stick.

My insurance carrier said there was no up charge for the swap, yours might react differently. Also in our County we only have a "Safety Inspection", lights, brakes, etc. I checked with our local inspection station and they didn't have a problem with the swap. FYI, Renegade can furnish a full smog compliance conversion if that's your pleasure.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

For these kind of mods, it's best to establish and register for an "agreed" upon value insurance coverage.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, why do these haters even bother to own a 996?
Uhh....didnt his blow up? That would do it for me. And I have had 2 996's btw. Neither of mine blew up while I owned them.

Quick Reply: 996 swap to LS3/7 Build