996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2000 C2 with annoying exhaust tip rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
edco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking along the same lines, I ordered a used replacement tip on eBay, I'll keep everyone posted Do motor mounts go with mileage or age? or a mixture of the two? I just turned 55K miles...

Someone suggested it could be the isolation bushings on the muffler mount, but looking at that part "The one the muffler bolt's too" it doesn't look like that would fail, anyone have problems with the mount?

I'm open to all suggestions on how ro fix this problem so if anyone has a different path for me to follow just point me in the right direction...

Thanks again,

Matt
Old 02-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Those bushings are made of steels (like steel wool brushes) so i don't think they will fail. If you're so sure it's the tip itself, the replacement tip should fix it unless it's defective too.

My engine mounts were replaced at 28k miles when the car was only 3yrs old (no leaks but could feel the engine vibration more). They have fluid inside and deteriorate in time and mileage just like suspension. The vibration was much less and it felt like I got new rear shocks after they were replaced.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 AM
edco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ahsai,

Will start with the tip but I do see a little vibration on the tip, just on the drivers side, perhaps the motor mounts need replacing as well. Looks like an easy job. I will report back and let you know once I get time to change the tip and perhaps the mounts as well. I have seen the muffler bracket off a 996 and agree I don't think it's a wear item.

I will replace both mounts but as a rule dose one fail before the other?

Thanks for your help

Matt
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 AM
offshoreMM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the 'exhaust rattle Easter egg hunt' with my car too. For those on the hunt for the rattle:

1. Could be loose tips, try tightening the bolt which holds the tip in place.
2. Could be loose c-clamps where the cat pipes attach to the mufflers. Tighten those.
3. Could be loose where the manifolds bolt to the cat pipes (3 screws, tighten those, check for gaps)
4. Could be a heat shield touching up against something, check those from under the rear.
5. Could be one of the clamps that holds the cat pipe to the bracket that mounts to the car. Tighten those.
6. Could be, and this is what it was in my case, a slightly loose O2 sensor, with a washer rattling around. Try tightening both O2 sensors (or all four if you have them).

In my case, I swore it was coming from the tips. I got down on the ground and listened, and could only conclude that it was coming from the tips, or somewhere around the tips. Turned out to be a loose O2 sensor. Hunting for rattles is easier with the rear bumper removed, it's only a few bolts, give it a try. Happy hunting.
The following users liked this post:
Mikael Jerzy (12-29-2023)

Quick Reply: 2000 C2 with annoying exhaust tip rattle