Sponsored by:

2000 C2 with annoying exhaust tip rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 AM
edco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2000 C2 with annoying exhaust tip rattle

I have a 2000, 996 C2, 6 speed with an annoying exhaust tip rattle at idle "only when it's hot" I have had it running on the lift and the muffler and Cat don't appear to be the cause. Any thoughts? it's on the drivers side tip and if you place your foot on it or hold it with a towel etc. it quiets right down.

I have checked the muffler support mounting bracket and the 3 bolts are tight and removed and re installed the tip, can a tip have a broken weld that would result in rattling when hot ? I've looked around on the forum and see lots of bad mufflers and cats and was looking to see if anyone had a similar tip problem.

Please help point me in the right direction. Car has 50K miles on it and other than the annoying rattle it runs perfect...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 AM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a TSB out on this, number 9/02 2634 but it may not be applicable to your year. It is an easy fix, it adds an additional washer on the stud between the tailpipe cover and the tailpipe. Try that and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Take it into a Jewish garage. They will take a couple of inches off the end of the muffler for you haha.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by VA951
There is a TSB out on this, number 9/02 2634 but it may not be applicable to your year. It is an easy fix, it adds an additional washer on the stud between the tailpipe cover and the tailpipe. Try that and see if it fixes the problem.
+1 You beat me to it. The TSB is posted over on Renntech. Good lord, that is an annoying rattle!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the rattle ... Bolt on tip was pretty rusted .. Some wd40 ... Reinstalled bolt ... Fixed the problem ...try a new bolt and two washer fix ...
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have same problem. can someone send me the link to whatever TSB is? What bolt? R u talking about the bolt that goes into the tip from the bottom, which i have taken out & reinstalled several times?

thanks as always-

m
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM
edco
Racer

If you do have some info for lingpoen please post it in the thread so I can see it as well

Thanks for all your suggestions,

Matt
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it's the stud on the bottom, that holds the tailpipe cover to the tailpipe. There should be a bolt and washer on the stud. The TSB adds another washer between the cover and the tailpipe.
That's it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
edco
Racer

Do the early year 996's have the stud on the bottom that holds the tailpipe cover to the tailpipe? I have found a photo with what your talking about but mine has no stud or nut, is the tip welded on, if so can you loose the weld?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt:

Under my tip there is a hole to where a bolt with a long spacer & nut tighten around a clamp inside. Also, there is a flange running from insdie the tip to another clamp around the muffler that i must have grabbed a 100 times & banged on to see if it was loose..it was not. However, 2day i finally just took it off to learn it was sheared at the other end inside the tip, jiggling around in there driving me nuts. Problem solved. I may go get another flange, i may not. Picture of clamp & flange....hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 AM
edco
Racer

Thanks for the photo, glad you found the source of your problem but my 2000 does not have that bracket or clamp on either side. My tips look to be original and have the # EP4110 stamped into them. No stud or bolt to add the washer fix, I'm assuming that he tips may have changed as the model year's progressed? The rattles is at the tip, I'm thinking a broken weld or something loose "or worn out" but everything looks tight with he exception of the rattling tip... it's enough to drive me crazy

Thank you all for your help finding my gremlin, please keep the suggestions coming.

Matt
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I suggest you remove it from the muffler and bench test it.
See the photos here http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...haust-tip.html
It extends up a bit and is attached to the muffler by a big clamp.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 AM
edco
Racer

Thanks Ahsai,

I've removed the tip and it looks good, it's hard to bench test it as it only rattles when the car is at operating temp. I'm wondering if it could be a broken or cracked weld on the tip.

With the car up and running on a lift the noise is just from the tip, listening to the cats and muffler they all sound the same on both sides.

I simply love the car and will do what ever it takes to find the source of the rattle...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by edco
Thanks Ahsai,

I've removed the tip and it looks good, it's hard to bench test it as it only rattles when the car is at operating temp. I'm wondering if it could be a broken or cracked weld on the tip.

With the car up and running on a lift the noise is just from the tip, listening to the cats and muffler they all sound the same on both sides.

I simply love the car and will do what ever it takes to find the source of the rattle...

Thanks,

Matt
Sorry I missed that you've already removed and reinstalled your tip. So with the tip removed, are you sure you don't have rattling when the car has warmed up? If it's truly the tip, I suppose a loose weld that opens up only when hot is possible.

If you have examined the tip carefully already and still can't locate the source, can't think of a solution other than swapping it out with a new/used tip. Should be easy to source from junkyard for cheap. How are your motor mounts? Maybe new mounts can shift the vibration freq just enough to quiet the tip.

Quick Reply: 2000 C2 with annoying exhaust tip rattle