996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

spark plugs '04 (basically '02+)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default spark plugs '04 (basically '02+)

I'm planning on removing my mufflers in a week or so to do the Gundo Hack. I figure while I have the mufflers out, I should take the opportunity to change the spark plugs as well. The car has 46k on it.

I'm doing some research, and there's OEM by Bosch and NGKs as well. Any comments on either or? Or perhaps another plug model recommendation? (are they pre-gapped?) The part number I have for the Bosch is: FGR-5-KQE0 and the Posrche p/n is: 999-170-223-90-M14

Also, the '02+ don't need the spark plug tubes correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by yoda888; 02-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely easier while the mufflers are out. You are correct that you have no tubes to deal with. Check the gap if you select a traditional sort of plug - some have multiple contacts and that can't be practically done. I put NGK Iridium in my '04 about 20K miles back and the car continues to run great. But, there are good reports on a wide variety of brands. GL!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just changed the plugs in my 02. I went with the NGK G power plugs ($2.39 at Advance Auto Parts). I think the difference with the new plugs is quite noticeable. My old plugs had 37K miles on them. The indy that replaced them last likes to use Champion plugs so I knew the gaps were probably pretty large after all those miles and I was correct. When I took them out the gaps were in the .52 range and all electrodes were fairly worn. One piece of advice is to check your connectors and contacts on the coils for corrosion. I had some corrosion on the contacts of one of my coils that certainly could have resulted in misfiring. Be sure you get all connectors and boots back on snug
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 AM
yoda888
Racer

We're the NGKs 4-prong and platinum? Sounds like you're pretty happy with these and would get these again on the next plug change I take it.

Thanks

Originally Posted by dinodog
I just changed the plugs in my 02. I went with the NGK G power plugs ($2.39 at Advance Auto Parts). I think the difference with the new plugs is quite noticeable. My old plugs had 37K miles on them. The indy that replaced them last likes to use Champion plugs so I knew the gaps were probably pretty large after all those miles and I was correct. When I took them out the gaps were in the .52 range and all electrodes were fairly worn. One piece of advice is to check your connectors and contacts on the coils for corrosion. I had some corrosion on the contacts of one of my coils that certainly could have resulted in misfiring. Be sure you get all connectors and boots back on snug
Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

I am pleased with the plugs I chose. I am a big fan of NGK plugs and I think they are quality plugs at a great price. The plug I used is a single prong Platinum plug G-Power BKR6EGP. I also think that regardless of which plug you use it is a good idea to change them out more frequently than the factory recommended service interval. The procedure of removing the mufflers and plugs is really not that difficult and it is an inexpensive tune up procedure that results in better overall performance
Old 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 248 Likes on 219 Posts

I am pleased with the plugs I chose. I am a big fan of NGK plugs and I think they are quality plugs at a great price. The plug I used is a single prong Platinum plug G-Power BKR6EGP. I also think that regardless of which plug you use it is a good idea to change them out more frequently than the factory recommended service interval. The procedure of removing the mufflers and plugs is really not that difficult and it is an inexpensive tune up procedure that results in better overall performance
After just 37K miles and with such large gaps between the center and ground electrodes on a multi-electrode plug why you believe a single ground plug will deliver acceptable performance over that span of miles is beyond me.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
After just 37K miles and with such large gaps between the center and ground electrodes on a multi-electrode plug why you believe a single ground plug will deliver acceptable performance over that span of miles is beyond me.
Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that the plugs I replaced with 37k miles were of a multiple electrode design. As i mentioned in the post, i removed some Champion plugs which were single electrode plugs. Also. I clearly stated that given the ease of replacement I would recommend more frequent plug changes than called for in the manual. If it is your suggestion that single electrode plugs won't deliver "acceptable performance" then please just say that
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used champion in my '67 triumph spitfire .. But isn't that like using a Lucas DME in a Porsche ? +1 for NGK
Old 02-26-2013, 03:22 AM
yoda888
Racer

Dinodog,
What motor do you have in your 996? When I look on the NGK site for my car (3.6 w/ x51), it gives me two options, Laser Platinum (BKR7EQUP) and Iridium IX (BKR7EIX). These are both different p/n's than what you have below.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Yoda - If you're looking at the Iridium, shouldn't it be BKR6EIX?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by targa996
I used champion in my '67 triumph spitfire .. But isn't that like using a Lucas DME in a Porsche ? +1 for NGK
LOL. I totally agree. My car is a recent acquisition. In going over the service records I noticed the 60k plug change was done at an Indy shop owned by a good friend of mine. The mechanic has used Champion plugs for as long as I can remember so I figured that was what was installed in my car. I'm not knocking champion plugs but I don't want them or really any plugs in my car for anywhere near the 60k mile service interval
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yoda888
Dinodog,
What motor do you have in your 996? When I look on the NGK site for my car (3.6 w/ x51), it gives me two options, Laser Platinum (BKR7EQUP) and Iridium IX (BKR7EIX). These are both different p/n's than what you have below.

Thanks!
Yoda, I have an '02 with a 3.6 motor. NGK offers a variety of plugs so it can get a little confusing. I went with the single electrode G power plugs based on price plus the fact that I plan to change the plugs on a more aggressive service schedule. I'm also not convinced that for my driving purposes a more expensive , multi electrode plug, is going to yield any increased performance over a single prong plug. So bottom line is go with whatever plug with an acceptable heat range you feel comfortable with
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 248 Likes on 219 Posts

Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that the plugs I replaced with 37k miles were of a multiple electrode design. As i mentioned in the post, i removed some Champion plugs which were single electrode plugs. Also. I clearly stated that given the ease of replacement I would recommend more frequent plug changes than called for in the manual. If it is your suggestion that single electrode plugs won't deliver "acceptable performance" then please just say that
A single electrode plug will not deliver acceptable performance.

From what you wrote the previous plugs with their huge gap after just 37K miles should have told you that. And your fix is to change the plugs even more often.

I let the plugs go in my Boxster 90K miles and the gap was not that big. 4 electrode plugs.

Also, as much as I wanted to I didn't notice any improvement in the engine's behavior after the new plugs were installed.

Apparently the old plugs, with 90K miles on them, were still doing their job. However, this is not a recommendation to try to eke out extra miles. Change the plugs when they are due.

While I have never changed the plugs in my Porsches based on what I've read I do not think plugs are easy to change. Having to do this once every 60K miles is bad enough but to select a plug form factor that requires this be done even more often that 37K miles does not make any sense to me. But if you like NGK plugs that much...
Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
yoda888
Racer

Dinodog and Mark I, where are you guys looking up (cross-referencing) the NGK plugs from? The number I pulled was from the NGK web-site. I was actually very surprised that they had the 40th AE car listed.

Looking at Pelican's site, they only list a plug difference for Turbo vs. normal m96 motors. No difference listed for the x51 package.

I just looked on the ngk website for plugs for a non-40th AE car. Interesting that there are a lot more plugs listed (6 choices) than for the 40th AE. Also, if I recall, all the plugs for the standard m96 are colder plugs! (6 instead of 7 for the 40th AE car -- lower number equals colder plug right? or do I have it backwards?!)

Hmm, apparently higher number = cooler plug. Which makes sense, as I'd assume the x51 motors would run hotter. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...k_plugs/p2.asp

Last edited by yoda888; 02-26-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: plug heat range update
Old 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
dinodog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
A single electrode plug will not deliver acceptable performance.

From what you wrote the previous plugs with their huge gap after just 37K miles should have told you that. And your fix is to change the plugs even more often.

I let the plugs go in my Boxster 90K miles and the gap was not that big. 4 electrode plugs.

Also, as much as I wanted to I didn't notice any improvement in the engine's behavior after the new plugs were installed.

Apparently the old plugs, with 90K miles on them, were still doing their job. However, this is not a recommendation to try to eke out extra miles. Change the plugs when they are due.

While I have never changed the plugs in my Porsches based on what I've read I do not think plugs are easy to change. Having to do this once every 60K miles is bad enough but to select a plug form factor that requires this be done even more often that 37K miles does not make any sense to me. But if you like NGK plugs that much...
Macster, I agree with most of what you have stated but I am curious about your statement that you don't believe a single prong plug will deliver acceptable performance. Are you stating this based upon expected plug life? Is there any data you could share with us to support the assertion that single prong plugs do not deliver acceptable performance? Thanks.

Quick Reply: spark plugs '04 (basically '02+)