996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can I drive a 911 for 7 years for $44K?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 PM
rotaryjunky
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I drive a 911 for 7 years for $44K?

I am sorry that this is a lame question, but I have been teaching for 18 years and still earn in the 40's. I have to be very careful not to get in over my head. That said, I already have a 04 accord (winter beater), 93 civic (200hp, summer car), 94 NSX, and 91 miata (turbo, etc..). The civic is great fun (even better at the track) but a little embarrassing for a 42 year old. So I want a four seater that is gorgeous and phenomenal to drive. Is it even possible to buy and maintain a 996 911 for seven years (figure about 6K miles a year) for a total of $44K? Not including insurance, of course. I can do basic repairs myself and have access to lifts and capable buddies for engine and transaxle removal. What do you think?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 PM
rotaryjunky
Track Day

My kids are always with me, so I very rarely drive the NSX or miata.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

#1. There are no "basic" repairs on a Porsche.

#2. A replacement engine is $20,000.

#3. Porsche dealers charge $100+ for labor.

#4. Your joking, right?

I suppose you could, if you give your kids away, dont, eat, and live in a tent. If your a good DIY'er maybe you could. Unfortunately these cars are VERY expensive to own. Buying one is the easy part.

Im just kidding about #4 but not #1 thru #3.

I too am a public servant so I get where your coming from.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

20k for the car then 3k+ per year for maintenance. I'd say yes.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
20k for the car then 3k+ per year for maintenance. I'd say yes.
+1
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Sure you can but who did the work on your other hot rodded rides?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 AM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you are capable and have access to equipment that may be needed, so I'd say YES, absolutely. Never mind what Krazy says, he wrenches on his own car (saves money, very good) but seems to think that the dealer is the only source for any part (not true at all). Many parts are available for significantly less than at the dealer, especially common replacement parts, with equal quality.

Tires will very possibly be your biggest expense. Don't plan on needing to buy a replacement engine, it is extremely unlikely that it would need one.

Basic maintenance is no different than any other car, an oil change is easier than on your Miata.

If it needs something more complex, the beauty of a 996 is that there is most likely a video on how to do it, and for sure help on this forum and others like it.

The important part is to look at what's out there and choose carefully. Do a lot of reading up front, ask a lot of questions, and don't be scared off. Quite a few people on here use these as daily drivers. And even more people here do their own work.

I don't think that on average they are (or have to be) very expensive to own compared to what you get back....Sure, more than a Civic, but a lot less than a lot of other machinery. I will not perpetuate the myth that you have to be rich to own one, absolutely not the case, especially if you are somewhat handy or perhaps more importantly, have access to others who can help.

You only go around once, gotta do what you want as long as you prepare yourself properly.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

02+ 911 will run you about 25K and if you get clutch/intermediate shaft replaced for ~$2K tops you're in good shape (~$1K in parts). Access to lift is totally awesome, you'll be able to do more than than 90% of people on this forum.

Pics of the NSX?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM
darbo
Intermediate

Go for it and welcomemto the 996 Family. I recently picked up an 04 996. I splurged for a newer one but started off looking for a 99-01. I preferred the engine upgrade on the newer model. You only live once.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a '99 Cabriolet for 7 years. I bought it near mint for $47K in '03, sold it near mint in '10 for $30K. I put 30K miles on it, spent about $1K parts (clutch, pp, bearing, coolant tank, MAF sensor, back up light switch), $2k labor for goodwilled motor install, + gas, oil, tires.

I've had my Turbo nearly 2 years and the only repair has been a clutch accumulator @ $130, installed it myself. Three oil changes, each costs $50 for oil $6 for filter.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought an '02 at a steal - and car is probably still worth more than I paid for it (or at least the same) - so no depreciation. Service costs have been ok for performance car so far (in 2years <$200 for oil (DIY), Plugs/Oil Pressure Sender/transmission fluid, window regulator $1K) Tires+Alignment $1K, Front Brakes $350 DIY. I am budgeting for new clutch, AOS, Water Pump, IMS in near future (say ~$4K) - but if you divide those costs over 4 years - it works out to <$2K/yr - not bad for an exotic. (but a lot more than your civic, miata etc. probably). The risk is a much more expensive engine problem.

But then again, if you purchased a new M3 (for example) it would cost you a lot more - just on depreciation.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaryjunky
Is it even possible to buy and maintain a 996 911 for seven years (figure about 6K miles a year) for a total of $44K?
Easy enough to find a good 55,000 mile 2002+ 996 for $25K-$30K. That still leaves a very generous part of your budget for scheduled service and the typical replacement items. Even plenty for a clutch when needed and throwing in an IMSB at the same time. Now if you roll it into the dealer every time you have the smallest issue, it can get expensive quickly, but that is true for *any* late model car out of warranty.

So I want a four seater that is gorgeous and phenomenal to drive.
Not sure about the four seater part... Even if your kids are small enough to fit in the back of a 996 now, the probably won't be in seven years!

Originally Posted by KrazyK
...these cars are VERY expensive to own....

Same person, same tune, every thread. KK has probably 'unsold' more 996's than just about anybody.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 AM
mmahon04
Advanced

Originally Posted by KrazyK
#1. There are no "basic" repairs on a Porsche.

#2. A replacement engine is $20,000.

#3. Porsche dealers charge $100+ for labor.

#4. Your joking, right?

I suppose you could, if you give your kids away, dont, eat, and live in a tent. If your a good DIY'er maybe you could. Unfortunately these cars are VERY expensive to own. Buying one is the easy part.

Im just kidding about #4 but not #1 thru #3.

I too am a public servant so I get where your coming from.
1) I beg to differ. I've changed my water pump, thermostat, steering wheel, chain tensioners (all three), door lock, door bowden cable, interior door handle, tie rod ends...not to mention adding a full exhaust, the 3rd frontal radiator, and so on. With directions and the proper tools (nothing that Harbor Freight doesn't carry), it was all pretty "basic."

2) Who said anything about needing a new engine? Even if that's the case, you're quoting dealer pricing; my plan is to pull one from a yard or have the current rebuilt for ~$15k.

3) And independents charge half that...and if you do it yourself, it costs nothing.

$44k is plenty for both the car and an emergency fund to tackle even the worst scenarios (at shop parts and labor rates!).
Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Easy enough to find a good 55,000 mile 2002+ 996 for $25K-$30K. That still leaves a very generous part of your budget for scheduled service and the typical replacement items. Even plenty for a clutch when needed and throwing in an IMSB at the same time. Now if you roll it into the dealer every time you have the smallest issue, it can get expensive quickly, but that is true for *any* late model car out of warranty.

Not sure about the four seater part... Even if your kids are small enough to fit in the back of a 996 now, the probably won't be in seven years!

Same person, same tune, every thread. KK has probably 'unsold' more 996's than just about anybody.
That's the guy that replaces spark plugs and oil after every drive, right? No wonder he thinks these cars are expensive... stupid always costs money.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

In short, yes, you can. As others have mentioned, you can get a good C2 for 25-30k, and that leaves quite a bit for maintenance for the next 7 years. Especially if you have access to a lift, and some capable friends. Krazy is just that, so even though he chimed in first, I would factor in his information last.

Cheers,

DS

Quick Reply: Can I drive a 911 for 7 years for $44K?