Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been wondering how many engine failures are misdiagnosed as IMS related? With the requirement by PCNA that the owner prove the failure was IMS related, the silver lining could be the IMS failure rate could go down.

On the contrary, to take advantage of the settlement it may benefit the Dealer/Servicer to state an IMS failure when the cause of the engine failure was related to something else. This could result in the number of IMS failures to be over reported.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:10 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I have been wondering how many engine failures are misdiagnosed as IMS related? With the requirement by PCNA that the owner prove the failure was IMS related, the silver lining could be the IMS failure rate could go down.

On the contrary, to take advantage of the settlement it may benefit the Dealer/Servicer to state an IMS failure when the cause of the engine failure was related to something else. This could result in the number of IMS failures to be over reported.
Exactly. Dealers have traditionally just replaced the engine instead of doing a proper tear down and diagnosis to repair the engine or to even know if it was truly IMS related.

I'm wondering what percentage has actually been truly IMS related damage since there have been so many that just assumed and chalked it up to IMS. We all know there are other modes of failure as well, including that of the owner to properly maintain or use(abuse) the car.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

FWIW,

I did find the old blurb again about distinguishing single row from double row cited by Softronic as a source but IIRC, the same range was also part of the LN website at one point. Later it was pointed out that this wasn't entirely accurate and that you should do a visual inspection of the flange to determine the single vs. double. Interesting nonetheless...

According to PET, here are the engine numbers for single or double row bearings* up until late 2005 then 2006 and later engines which received a larger, non-servicable single row bearing. *Courtesy of Scott Slauson http://www.softronic.us.

Boxster: Double Row: up to 651 12851 (M96.22) up to 671 11237 (M96.21)

Single Row: from 651 12852 (M96.22) from 671 11238 (M96.21)

996: Double Row: up to 661 14164

Single Row: from 661 14165
Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sooooooo this was all total BS? No updates, no additional documentation, just utter nonsense.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
FWIW,

I did find the old blurb again about distinguishing single row from double row cited by Softronic as a source but IIRC, the same range was also part of the LN website at one point. Later it was pointed out that this wasn't entirely accurate and that you should do a visual inspection of the flange to determine the single vs. double. Interesting nonetheless...
None of the directives were accurate. The records and VIN/ engine # references are a joke.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
None of the directives were accurate. The records and VIN/ engine # references are a joke.
Care to elaborate? Didn't LN website at one point have a list of VIN you could check to see if it was double or single?

Also does anyone have the full PET docs to reference what Softronics was talking about?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Care to elaborate? Didn't LN website at one point have a list of VIN you could check to see if it was double or single?

Also does anyone have the full PET docs to reference what Softronics was talking about?
The LN directive was pulled after people started bitching about its accuracy. The directive was created from the factory releases on the topic.

The record keeping was horrible, today if a car is a 2000 or 2005 it has to see a visual inspection to know what bearing is installed.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The LN directive was pulled after people started bitching about its accuracy. The directive was created from the factory releases on the topic.

The record keeping was horrible, today if a car is a 2000 or 2005 it has to see a visual inspection to know what bearing is installed.
Thanks as I've stated in my previous post, I think we are in agreement that a visual inspection is needed instead of speculation.

I was just trying to see if those number ranges correlated in anyway to the number ranges listed in this lawsuit, but the numbers seem confusing with the various ranges for me to make any sense of it.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks as I've stated in my previous post, I think we are in agreement that a visual inspection is needed instead of speculation.

I was just trying to see if those number ranges correlated in anyway to the number ranges listed in this lawsuit, but the numbers seem confusing with the various ranges for me to make any sense of it.
+1 and Jake thanks for the info.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Someone saw a dual row in an 05 996??????
Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Someone saw a dual row in an 05 996??????
The larger single IMS bearing cannot also be assumed in the 05-06 transition.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Update and a reminder - nothing can be done until the court accepts the settlement. That is supposed to happen this month. Please don't call the lawyers until I confirm that the court has accepted the deal.

Regards,
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys do realize that for Porsche to actually admit there is a problem with their design and agree to civil penalties or remedies, that the problem is far, far worse than anyone can imagine? If civil litigation were allowed to proceed through a court, discovery including interrogatories would probably do great damage to the brands reputation.

Can you imagine what kind of emails, memos, notes, etc. have been sent back and forth between employees, techs, and engineers about this problem? Then throw depositions where cross examination is allowed in the mix and you just destroyed a company.

Porsche has an A+++ legal team to fight any civil onslaught so you can be assured the problem is many times worse than you may think or they would have remained silent.

And if there was any chance to insinuate a hazard to the consumer or public, its over.

Last edited by KrazyK; 04-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
You guys do realize that for Porsche to actually admit there is a problem with their design and agree to civil penalties or remedies, that the problem is far, far worse than anyone can imagine? If civil litigation were allowed to proceed through a court, discovery including interrogatories would probably do great damage to the brands reputation.

Can you imagine what kind of emails, memos, notes, etc. have been sent back and forth between employees, techs, and engineers about this problem? Then throw depositions where cross examination is allowed in the mix and you just destroyed a company.

Porsche has an A+++ legal team to fight any civil onslaught so you can be assured the problem is many times worse than you may think or they would have remained silent.

And if there was any chance to insinuate a hazard to the consumer or public, its over.
And despite this treasure trove of info, no one on this list who is a class member has inquired of to see the discovery information!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
And despite this treasure trove of info, no one on this list who is a class member has inquired of to see the discovery information!
Would you have to have suffered a failure to be a class member and gain access to discovery?

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted