Sponsored by:

Arctic Silver Paint Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM
jetlife2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Silver Paint Recommendation

Going through the forum there are many old threads on touchup paint with different codes, etc. but many of them are out of date.

I am writing to give my positive experience with the following

Porsche 911 Automotive Aerosol Spray Paint - Arctic Silver Metallic Clearcoat 92T/X1 92U/X1 by TouchUpDirect.

One large aerosol of base and one large aerosol of clearcoat sells for about $30 (May 2013). Available direct from the company or from amazon. Primer is not included.

I used this to paint an OEM Porsche (already primed) plastic trim piece. Match to my Arctic Silver 2003 996 (92U) was just about perfect. I applied 3 thin base coats about 20 minutes apart. Then waited 30 minutes and applied 2 clearcoats 15 min. apart. Finish was smooth hard and medium gloss.

Hope this is useful to someone faced with a similar task.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:41 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you think one kit is enough for a deck lid?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM
jetlife2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming you mean the rear deck, I would say no, that one can is not enough for multiple coats of the base. I would guess 2 cans of base and 1 can of clear. They can be bought separately.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Wdunster
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
I am an employee of PPG automotive coatings. I was also a high end collision center owner.
I am sure this works pretty good for small parts with out constant sun and chemical exposure. My concern is the clear coat is not a catalyzed product and possibly very little UV protection. I would not recommend the use of rattle can products on large area's or upper panels. This just won't last. I would get a reputable shop to refinish the deck lis with a quality product. You will pay more but.. You pay for what you get.
Not great news but I hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

What can I use to touch up deep scratches on an arctic silver car? I'm not looking for concours perfect, just less obvious than a big white line.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wdunster
Hi guys,
I am an employee of PPG automotive coatings. I was also a high end collision center owner.
I am sure this works pretty good for small parts with out constant sun and chemical exposure. My concern is the clear coat is not a catalyzed product and possibly very little UV protection. I would not recommend the use of rattle can products on large area's or upper panels. This just won't last. I would get a reputable shop to refinish the deck lis with a quality product. You will pay more but.. You pay for what you get.
Not great news but I hope this helps.
FWIW, I used a rattle can of flat black pain to cover road rash to the rocker panels of my 90% track 964 about 6 years ago (with no clear coat) and they still look pristine. Yes, you can pay more but it does not always get you more.

Marc
Old 05-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Wdunster
Intermediate

I agree. For an application on a lower panel not impacted by the sun will last fine. A deck lis in direct sun light will not last due to the lack of UV protection. The same as if there isn't enough clear over the base which causes peeling or getting chalky. Just trying to keep from someone making a bad decision not trying to sell paint. Take the labels off its all about chemistry. To answer your question,It is tough to touch up metallic paints. You can use the same product mentioned earlier and use a brush or use touch up paint from the parts store. it may have a different look due to the way the metallic lays down. then brush some clear over it. it wont be perfect but it will help
Good luck
B
Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Does anyone make touch-up paint that comes in small vials for this? Any common (eg non-porsche taxed) colors that match pretty close?

e: hey, same site even
https://touchupdirect.com/automotive...orsche-boxster
Old 05-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Wdunster
Intermediate

You can check at Autozone or similar for the duplicolor touch up bottles by code. They are about the size of fingernail polish bottles. Or find a paint shop that paints Porsches regularly and the chances are pretty good they may have some on the bench. I can look into a supplier that we have in your area to see if they can assist.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What can I use to touch up deep scratches on an arctic silver car? I'm not looking for concours perfect, just less obvious than a big white line. [QUOTE]
If there is a white scratch it probably has not gone through the clear coat and can be polished out with a bit of effort, there are a few detail product suppliers online who will sell you what you need, or take the Car to a local detailer and check if they can do it for you, much better than touch-up if you can. As for Touch-up paint I have used Dr Color chip I beleive it is called with good results, it is mixed to be applied as a filler in scratches, the color match was good on my Audi.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:02 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

I looked more closely, and you're right- it's down a couple layers, but isn't the whole way through the paint. Looks like it's through at least one layer of paint, though. Can I just use touchup clearcoat to fill it in?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You would be better to polish it out then the scratch will not show, if you use touch up paint it will show for sure no matter how careful you are
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

The scratch goes deeper than the clearcoat, though, and into the paint. Will that polish out, or just serve as a base for a repaint? My car is nearly 10 years old; I'm not trying to make it look new, I just want to make the ravages of time (and damage from ******** who drop concrete blocks on the highway) less obvious.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Wdunster
Intermediate

In the industry, we use the rule if you can feel the scratch with your thumb nail it won't buff out. the factory doesn't put much product on the cars when they are manufactured and is easier to cut through the clear coat into the base coat and change the color. I would also have heard good things about and would recommend the color chip Dr. the other option would be to have a local collision center look at it to see if there is a easy fix. When I owned my body shop we would handle little things like that to help out building relationships with potential customers.

Quick Reply: Arctic Silver Paint Recommendation