996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Don't want to get ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the parts from pelican .. Textar pads , Sebro rotors. .. Plus screws, bolts , sensors
Front+rear is approx $750 ... Then take car to German shop .. Labor should be 100 per axle or less ... That way you can be out the door for around 1k versus double that at dealer ...
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
rpolin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Just curious, but where are you taking your car for service? I've brought mine to Greenwich Porsche and was (surprisingly) happy with them. I've got a 30K mile service coming up and I've heard it typically runs about $2K -- although I haven't checked with them (or anyone) to confirm this.

-Eric
First, I'm jealous that you only have 30k miles on your '04 cab then again, I purchased my '02 with 37k on it 2 years ago. It has almost 57k on it now. I love to drive it as you can tell.

The only reason I have avoided the dealer is that they tend to spend a lot of money researching problems with the older cars as they tend not to see them as much as they do the newer cars and their prices tend to run significantly higher (quoted me close to $1,500 for the front brakes alone). They do treat you like a king, that I will give them but the scheduling is never as easy as the place I use who can always fit me in.

I use Fairfield County Motorsport in Fairfield CT. They are right across from the Fairfield Train station. I have used them for about 4 years now and while my first impression was that they were a little stiff, I couldn't have been more wrong about them. Don & Jim (the owners) are great. My guess is that 80% of their work is on Porsche's and of that it's probably split 65/35 between street and track cars but that's just my guess.

These guys know there Porsche's inside and out. I call them on the phone and explain the issue I'm having and they diagnose it without any BS. When it comes to older model years, they really are extremely well schooled unlike some of the dealers who I believe spend more of their time servicing the newer fleet and therefore can't always diagnose a problem right away on the older models and then you have to spend your money while they try and figure out what's wrong. Been there, done that and its frustrating, especially considering how expensive these cars can be to maintain to begin with.

The additional upside for me is that I can drop my car off at FCM, hop on the train to NYC and then pick it up after work.

That's my two cents for what its worth and I know everyone has their own opinion but my advice to you, take a ride down their one day (it's off Exit # 21 on I-95), check out their shop, see what they've got up on their racks, talk to them, you can even tell them I sent you down there as they know all their customers by first name. It's that kind of place.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 PM
rpolin
Instructor

Originally Posted by targa996
Get the parts from pelican .. Textar pads , Sebro rotors. .. Plus screws, bolts , sensors
Front+rear is approx $750 ... Then take car to German shop .. Labor should be 100 per axle or less ... That way you can be out the door for around 1k versus double that at dealer ...
I would not let some german shop play around with my car unless he's schooled in PCars. The last thing I need is for him to think he knows what he's doing, even if it is just brakes, than he messes something up and now I'm paying to have it fixed. Not unless the shop is personally recommended to me by someone who has used him for servicing his PCar there before. The cost to fix the mistake could be worse then the original bill to begin with. Sometimes when you buy a toy, you have to be willing to pay the price that comes with keeping it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I know you said you're not DIY but really this is one of the easiest jobs you can do on this car.

Granted I took my sensors and noise shims off but I can change my front brakes in less than 20 minutes now when I take my car to the track. If I had a rack it would take even less time but it does take time to jack up the car and remove tires.

I take mine to the dealer for major jobs but brakes are one of those tasks where the markup is unreal compared to the amount of work needed to complete the job.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If DIYing in the future, a complete pad and disc job won't take more than a few hours. Replacing Pads On Your 996 or Replacing Brake Discs On Your 996

We have Genuine Porsche as well as additional brands - you can even choose a complete brake kit which includes all the parts you'd need to complete the job:
996 Super Brake Kits

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-14-2013, 09:32 AM
GeorgeLPorsche
Banned

I would call Formula Motorsports in Long Island City. They charged me almost half that for the 30K. I guess it depends on what you really need.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone doing the brake job. Its easy enough but you will find that you HAVE to remove the caliper or you wont get the pads out because of the shims attached to the pads. Trackers don't put the shims or the sensors back in place for a faster replacement, as previously poster stated. I put everything back on mine and it was a pretty easy job and I am almost 72 years of age. Lets put it this way. I didn't BRAKE into a sweat lol..
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I spent 1000 DIY 2 years ago. Rotors/sensors/pads.
And I didn't go nuts with hi performance stuff. I bought nice stuff but didn't get silly. The job isn't much different than any other car. 2-3 hrs if that. So by the time he parks up the parts, I'd say 2-2500 if you do it right. And brakes are pretty important. I'd do it right.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM
healey1968
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpolin
I would not let some german shop play around with my car unless he's schooled in PCars.
Uhh - it's a pretty standard design. Porsche didn't use some random bolts or anything. We're not talking about a serious job here (clutch, AOS, etc), so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

If I lived near you, I would tell you to order the parts on line and show up at my house with the car, the parts and 2 bottles of Crown Royal, and be ready to do a little work (jack up the car and remove the wheels, at a minimum I expect you do that, I do the rest)........

In regards to the passenger side rear regulator, I have done the job as well, a new regulator is VERY expensive, I would go the "regulator repair" way...., and the job is a pain in the a$$.....that would cost you a 3rd bottle of Crown.....LOL
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM
rpolin
Instructor

pesuazo - you are too kind and I wished you did live closer! It would save me a ton of cash, teach me a new trick or two and meet a fellow pcar enthusiast! Enjoy your time down south. I'm envious!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Anyone doing the brake job. Its easy enough but you will find that you HAVE to remove the caliper or you wont get the pads out because of the shims attached to the pads. Trackers don't put the shims or the sensors back in place for a faster replacement, as previously poster stated. I put everything back on mine and it was a pretty easy job and I am almost 72 years of age. Lets put it this way. I didn't BRAKE into a sweat lol..
I'm sorry but this is just not correct at all. My Spec996 uses the stock brake system except for the pads which are open (I use Performance Friction). I've lost count of how many times I've replaced pads. You do not have to remove the caliper to replace the pads, even if you keep the "shims" in (which I do).
Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

(quoted me close to $1,500 for the front brakes alone)
This is absurd.

They do treat you like a king,
For that price, they should serve you dinner, live entertainment, etc.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
This is absurd.
For that price, a scantily clad woman should serve you dinner, live entertainment, etc.
Fixed.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Russel, you did me a big favor and GAVE me your old mufflers. If you haven't already scheduled the work, I would be happy to come up to you and change your brakes with you. I can throw my tools and jack in my pick-up and we can do them in your garage. I'm off on fri/sat. You did me a solid on the mufflers so if I can help, I'd be glad to. You can pm me if you don't have my info anymore.

Quick Reply: Don't want to get ripped off