Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Going to check out a 996, Things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:20 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going to check out a 996, Things to look for?

Tomorrow after I get out of work I'm going to check out a 1999 996 with 37,000 miles and factory aero kit. What do I need to look for specifically while checking it out at the dealership.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Chris
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

...that the engine is in the back. Check records of work done, that everything works , take a long test drive and see if the car meets your standards. Then read up on the subject by using the search button. GL and paost picks and info about the Porsche.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out this thread - Money down on C4S.

Many questions and answers from a recent search
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristopherG
Tomorrow after I get out of work I'm going to check out a 1999 996 with 37,000 miles and factory aero kit. What do I need to look for specifically while checking it out at the dealership.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Chris
You believe in waiting until the last minute don't you?

The car is just a used car with low miles so give it a thorough used car checkout. I might add a 14 year old car with low miles.

But before you start making sure the radio works visit the car cold, start the engine and let it idle while you walk around the car. While you're looking the car over real close listen to the engine as it idles and gains heat.

After 10 or more minutes then have the seller take you on a test ride. Be sure the route is 15 miles long and gives the driver a chance to demo the car in the ways you'll use the car.

Back at the starting point take the car out as a driver now, over the same route driving the car the same way.

Afterwards if you still like the car then check out everything. Assume nothing works until you verifiy it does work.

Then if you still like the car and believe you can buy it, want to buy it, have the car PPI'd.

Quick Reply: Going to check out a 996, Things to look for?