Sponsored by:

Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
sjfarbs
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo Install

Hi guys. Migrated to the 996 forum , sold my 928 and recently purchased a 1999 996 as my daily driver.

Been having a blast and absolutely love the 101 Projects for your Boxster by Wayne !

I am about to install a new stereo and have all the parts ready to go and the harness wired up.

I have the factory amp in the front hood.

I keep reading that you need to connect the "blue wire" that sends signal to the amp. This Blue Wire is on the new harness , the red plug, and from the pictures on the 101 Projects looks as if the new harness, red, plugs into the original harness, black, and this "blue wire" goes from the new red harness into the multi plug on the new radio head. My question is I can not find any info on what needs to feed that Blue wire?

Based on Waynes Diagram it is either
Speed Vol Cntrl
Mute
Constant Power 12v
Power Antenna
Switched Power 12v
Illumination
Ground

Has anyone been there and can help me out?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Zapna
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I can't believe no one responded to this post! On the off chance that you still haven't figured this out, my recommendation is to go with an adapter cable that will allow you or a future owner to restore to original if desired. Plus the cost of the part is cheap! ~$9! Heres the link: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BHA1784.html

It includes the pinout, so you'll have your question answered regarding the proper wire and you won't have to cut any wires. If you have already tackled this, maybe this will help someone in the future.

Brad
Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read this multiple times, but just couldn't figure out what he was talking about. I guess if I had the connectors and the wiring in front of me, I could, but otherwise I think he was asking what signal exactly from the new radio needs to go to the existing "blue" amp turn on wire? It is normally Power Antenna. Since there is no Power Antenna on the 996, they use the low current functionality of it to switch the "amp" (really an active crossover with very minor gain) on & off.

Quick Reply: Stereo Install