996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you remove Waynes IMS bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
maor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you remove Waynes IMS bearing?

Going off one of their reviews

Comments: I wanted to replace the IMS bearing on my 2000 Carrera for a piece of mind. I didn't know if I had a double row or single row bearing so this product fit the ticket. I used the LN engineering toolkit for installation. I plan on replacing with the correct LNE bearing at the next clutch change. Because of the oversized spindle on the Pelican kit the LNE bearing puller will pull the original bearing out but will not remove this bearing using the spindle so a different solution is needed to remove it or reset it if it installs crooked

So what do you do when you want to pull out pelicans bearing?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

Disassemble the engine? Cutting torch? Drill holes in it and use a dent hammer? Who knows....IMHO it sounds like you are in over your head.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Disassemble the engine? Cutting torch? Drill holes in it and use a dent hammer? Who knows....IMHO it sounds like you are in over your head.
Funny but not very helpful.

Relax Maor, theres a little simple tool/mod to do this. Theres also another way I wont get into here. I assume you did not buy your removal/install tools from Pelican.

If you become a member, stop typing in red, and PM me, I will loan you the tool or tell you how.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 PM
lee4him
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^shoot, wish I'd have know this before I went and bought my tool kit :-) Guess I need to become a member so I can enjoy the bennies.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
If you become a member, stop typing in red, and PM me, I will loan you the tool or tell you how.
But you BETTER return it PROMPTLY as KK will probably need it by next year or 3k miles, whichever comes first.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Regardless of membership, why not just tell him anyways?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Membership has it's privileges
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Bandwidth costs money. The price for membership is well worth the money for all the free info, links, DIY's, and free tech advice from very knowledgeable members and sponsors. JMHO.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 706 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse but the OP has posted on Rennlist, Renntech and Pelican Parts the exact same citation (note that this is a comment cited from some other source...somebody doing the Pelican IMS bearing replacement for "piece of mind"). Pelican Tech Forums have extensive write ups, pictures and videos of IMS bearing replacement, plus there is this forum and Renntech. Just my opinion, and not to knock Wayne, CEO, Pelican Parts, but I would not use the single bearing replacement and snap rings Pelican offers that has to be changed at every clutch change. Pelican does offer and recommend the more robust LNE bearing and entire toolkit. Thus, with all this and the technical assistance from Pelican, I do not understand why the OP is asking fellow members this question vis-a-vis a comment picked up from somewhere else.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Maybe he has the same issue? Maybe hes just curious? Either way if anyone is interested or needs it, I have all the parts to mock up and photograph the process. I just dont think anyone needs it here. He's a new member here, maybe just trying to learn more.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:43 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Not to beat a dead horse but the OP has posted on Rennlist, Renntech and Pelican Parts the exact same citation (note that this is a comment cited from some other source...somebody doing the Pelican IMS bearing replacement for "piece of mind"). Pelican Tech Forums have extensive write ups, pictures and videos of IMS bearing replacement, plus there is this forum and Renntech. Just my opinion, and not to knock Wayne, CEO, Pelican Parts, but I would not use the single bearing replacement and snap rings Pelican offers that has to be changed at every clutch change. Pelican does offer and recommend the more robust LNE bearing and entire toolkit. Thus, with all this and the technical assistance from Pelican, I do not understand why the OP is asking fellow members this question vis-a-vis a comment picked up from somewhere else.
Simple, it's an infomercial...
Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Simple, it's an infomercial...
LOL, if we are the target market Im at loss as to wtf he's trying to sell us.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:54 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

LOL, if we are the target market Im at loss as to wtf he's trying to sell us.
He doesn't have to be selling anything to us directly necessarily...for your sake I sincerely hope that most of your posts here are merely your schtick and you are not indeed as dense as you portray yourself to be.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Bandwidth costs money. The price for membership is well worth the money for all the free info, links, DIY's, and free tech advice from very knowledgeable members and sponsors. JMHO.
I don't discriminate between members and non members or try to push paying for membership when it comes to technical help/info. You can if you want and that's fine by me but I'm and probably many others, aren't like that.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

and answered over on 6Spd as follows:

maor- the LN bearing removal toolkit now contains adapters that will work to pull the bearing out with the old bolt *and* the new bolt. So, there's no problem removing the bearing in the future if you need to.

You may have read Pelican's IMS Bearing Replacement DIY Article but if not it's a great read with tons of info/instructions as well as differences between the LN & Pelican kits.

Hope that helps but if you have any questions, reply here or call us directly and we'll assist.

Thanks Rennlisters!
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
The following users liked this post:
jim010 (04-28-2020)

Quick Reply: How do you remove Waynes IMS bearing?