Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Tom Witte
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sheatley
I got to throw this out. Two loud rattles I was certain was the car:
1. Baby bottle under drivers seat
2. Remote control on visor
First check if all of your additions to the car, however small, are not vibrating. This car is so tight that anything not stock could be the offender.
l'll add #3..... When throwing a golf bag in the back seat, a golf ball falls out. Seat is moved forward for access, golf ends up on controller box under seat. Seat moved back for driving, trapping ball on top of box. Acceleration/Deceleration makes ball roll up and down fins/ridges on controller box making soft "thpppppppp" sound. I go slowly insane for 6 mos. Take it to my indy in quiet desperation. Two days later get a phone call where they build me up on all of the investigations, theories, dummy quotes and estimates and ask me if I want to go golfing after I pick up the car. Go to pick up the car and they hand me a golf ball and the whole garage is grinning ear to ear. Yep, those rattles and sounds are fun ones to track down.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

'99 with 101500 miles, no rattles (or golf *****!)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Witte
l'll add #3..... When throwing a golf bag in the back seat, a golf ball falls out. Seat is moved forward for access, golf ends up on controller box under seat. Seat moved back for driving, trapping ball on top of box. Acceleration/Deceleration makes ball roll up and down fins/ridges on controller box making soft "thpppppppp" sound. I go slowly insane for 6 mos. Take it to my indy in quiet desperation. Two days later get a phone call where they build me up on all of the investigations, theories, dummy quotes and estimates and ask me if I want to go golfing after I pick up the car. Go to pick up the car and they hand me a golf ball and the whole garage is grinning ear to ear. Yep, those rattles and sounds are fun ones to track down.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist

Yeah...I had an annoying rattle that I isolated to somewhere on the dash. Just KNEW it was on the dash. Turns out it was the ashtray.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 AM
sullyd
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Gonzo911

Yeah...I had an annoying rattle that I isolated to somewhere on the dash. Just KNEW it was on the dash. Turns out it was the ashtray.
If its coming from the door it's the window regulator. This is the cable mechanism that puts the window up and down. The cables stretch and eventually fall off track. I had to replace mine after going over some bumps.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine would rattle click clack as I went over a bump. A visit to the dentist solved the problem. I needed new dentures lol.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

My 01 has rattles that come back but they are from the window mechanism. Right now the right door doesn't rattle, but the drive side does, but it is not big. I get more rattles out of the top when i am on rough pavement and don't know how to adjust that. Mine only parks under the sun or under weather when I am out and never for long periods of time. Today I discovered a small blemish on the top as if it is showing that it is wearing out although the top looks in amazing good shape and I always put Tequipment conditioner on it. Trying to find out how to prolong it's life since it really looks good except for that spot. I see the spot, but others may not see it. I just don't want to get wet inside and get a few more years out of it.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In some cases, with the top up, you can seem to hear "rattles" when you go over a bump or the car flexes (e.g., diagonally into a driveway) -- but it's the rubber on the seal of the top where it meets the windshield. Can happen with the hardtops as well.

Spraying the mating surfaces with Wurth dry lubricant can stop that.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
daveyator
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

New owner finally posting. 04 Cab. My top didn't rattle at all until I had the dealer repair that spring driven cover mechanism on the left side and re wrap the headliner corners. Now it rattles on the left side over even modest bumps. I partially opened the top and tightened the screws I could find. Seems to have ebbed somewhat but not totally gone. Reluctant to go back because I fear they'll just find another $500 repair!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

RF5BPilot, I will try that. I went today on a back roads drive with the local club and the only thing that rattles is my doors which I know can be taken care of and the top like you said. I will try that Wurth dry, but where exactly do you spray it ? On the rubber that meets the top, oh the top part, the windshield part or both. And, does it get cabin and the windshield dirty. I always thought that stuff was like graphite.
Thank you.

Daveyator, you may what RF5BPilot suggested too on your rattle.
Thanks guys
Old 09-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Porschelova
Advanced

Default 01 Cab Rattles trick

My cab doors rattle a bit and they come and go. Usually it is a matter of tightening things inside the doors and adjusting the windows. They are not too bad. The rattle that drives me crazy is the one where the top meets the windshield. The dealer told me I had to get a new top to fix it because there are some gaskets around the hooks that make the noise go away. So I thought, why can't i just put some type of foam or felt there to soften the noise. It only happens when i drive over rough road patches. It is not constant.
Other than that, i love this car (IMS is fixed).
Anyone has looked into doing anything like that to the top to reduce the noise (put something on the top where it meets the windshield)?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschelova
My cab doors rattle a bit and they come and go. Usually it is a matter of tightening things inside the doors and adjusting the windows. They are not too bad. The rattle that drives me crazy is the one where the top meets the windshield. The dealer told me I had to get a new top to fix it because there are some gaskets around the hooks that make the noise go away. So I thought, why can't i just put some type of foam or felt there to soften the noise. It only happens when i drive over rough road patches. It is not constant.
Other than that, i love this car (IMS is fixed).
Anyone has looked into doing anything like that to the top to reduce the noise (put something on the top where it meets the windshield)?
The only thing that rattles on mine is my garage door opener attached to my sun visor. But I don't see any harm in doing what you're thinking. Surprised that the hooks are replaced with the top as I thought they were part of the frame for the top itself and only the canvas and padding was replaced.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesn't rattle but the plastic clips holding the door panel are bad and aren't holding it close. Never really see this, and I guess it's not annoying enough to remember to do anything about it when I have the time.

fwiw - it seems the doors come apart easy enough, these cars are getting old, and only so much can go wrong in there. So if it is truly coming from the door it wouldn't bother me too much or prevent me from buying an otherwise great car.

Quick Reply: Cab owners - how much rattle?