Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Performance Package on order

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
I got the Fabspeed intake and some generic bypass pipes...I still have Fabspeed exhaust tips. I think they make some good stuff. I have not noticed any increase or decrease with anything. The intake was a nice little sound difference but with the bypass pipes....I no longer can hear the intake. LOL.

Carcster88, do you drive your car in the heavy rain or snow? I looked at the CAIs for the 996, all of them come with warnings regarding driving in "fair" weather only. I intend to drive mine through snow and sleet during the winter months to go snowboarding, so I didn't feel comfortable buying the CAI and then hydrolocking the engine.

From the installation pictures it does look like rain would drop right on the filter.

PS, didn't mean to hijack the thread Cuda911.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 443 Likes on 285 Posts

OK, finally got my car back today!!!

It's been a long wait.... the X-pipes were not originally available and had to be ordered (or fabricated?) by Fabspeed. My installer had to slightly tweak a pipe (unfortunately, the stock Fabspeed didn't quite fit). That took another couple days (since he had other jobs he was working on). I was super busy with work, so even though I REALLY wanted my car back home, I decided to just be patient.

I picked the car this morning, and took it for a 150-mile drive today. So far, I like the Fabspeed system VERY much. I was worried it would be too loud... I have no intention of Ricing out my car!

Happy to report.. at idle it is quite tame. At "reserved" driving style it is quite tame. At "spirited" driving style, it sounds great!!! Sounds like the serious exhaust system it is... no "tinny" sound. No obnoxious "look at me" sound. Just a nice, clean "hey, this car has an exhaust system befitting of its heritage" sound. (I will make and post sound clips, see comments below).

Throttle response seems to be improved; HP seems to be greater. But, as a science geek, I need hard data. So, off to the dyno shop as soon as I can get that scheduled.

I will do my best to post a video and sound clip in the very near future. I want to make a clip where I can open up the throttle, and enlist a friend to do the camera work for some drive-bys.

Oh, of the option list in my original post: I chose the chromed exhaust tips and the cold air intake.

Kalashnikov posted the following question:

"Carcster88, do you drive your car in the heavy rain or snow? I looked at the CAIs for the 996, all of them come with warnings regarding driving in "fair" weather only. I intend to drive mine through snow and sleet during the winter months to go snowboarding, so I didn't feel comfortable buying the CAI and then hydrolocking the engine.

From the installation pictures it does look like rain would drop right on the filter."

The Fabspeed CAI routes under the air intake cover, so no concerns about driving in the rain (of course, it only rains about 5 to 10 days a year here). I will post pix shortly.

I also chose to replace all four O2 sensors, since my car is high mileage.

The price tag for all this???? AYYYYYYYYyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! (not sure if the price figure is gauche to post).

Well, that much less my kids will eventually inherit, I guess.

Last edited by Cuda911; 08-24-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:06 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Carcster88, do you drive your car in the heavy rain or snow? I looked at the CAIs for the 996, all of them come with warnings regarding driving in "fair" weather only. I intend to drive mine through snow and sleet during the winter months to go snowboarding, so I didn't feel comfortable buying the CAI and then hydrolocking the engine.

From the installation pictures it does look like rain would drop right on the filter.

PS, didn't mean to hijack the thread Cuda911.
No issues with rain at all. I have even taken it through hi pressure car washes.....GASP!!! I now have the GT2 replica wing on and really no way to get water in it. I have never heard of a car with hydrolock issues during snow so I would not worry about it. I imagine you could buy a sock for the filter though you could slip on, they make them for some filters to prevent hydrolock.

I say just watch the big puddles but the engine is in the back so less worries.

OP: Glad you are happy with the Fabspeed stuff. Granted, it is expensive but they make good stuff. I never felt any difference with any mod I did, but than again...my MAF needed replacement. After a simple MAF replacement, that was the biggest routine maintenance performance I have ever got from the 996.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Finally had a chance to make a short drive-by sound clip. Was out in new industrial tract, dead-end road, no one else around.

Before and after pic of tips, and cold air intake, too:
Attached Images      
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you'll be very happy. I just have the sportcat/X-pipe and comp intake ... would buy the rest if I could afford it. Fabspeed makes good components and they're good guys to deal with in my experience.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 PM
2thdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks and sounds great Mike! Enjoy!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2thdoc
Looks and sounds great Mike! Enjoy!
Thanks, Ben! Let us know when you get that excellent 997 TT of yours upgraded with a performance exhaust. Did you choose which system yet?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy the old tips if you have them for sale - PM me if you are interested....mine have the annoying rattle from the welds breaking.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dstutler
I'll buy the old tips if you have them for sale - PM me if you are interested....mine have the annoying rattle from the welds breaking.
PM sent.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
LRBill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Dyno?

Looks really good.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

I still plan to do the dyno... been super busy. There's a dyno shop about a mile from me, but when I went in there, he could only dyno engines, no chassis dyno. Anther local guy was on a list Fabspeed sent me, but the guy will never return calls. I know a great place about 40 miles from here... now I just need to time to get it scheduled.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Performance Package on order