Sponsored by:

Double Din NAV/Stereo finally installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Double Din NAV/Stereo finally installed

Not the best picture, from my phone but you get the idea. New Pioneer AVIC 850BT

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-X850BT

They are selling for around $550 online shipped now so not a bad deal. Dash kid and IPhone adapters are what get you with the install. Navigation works great, install looks OEM and I put a nice PORSCHE start up screen on it.

Next step is Valentine One hardwire and getting a backup camera installed. Only thing I wish about this stereo is that it had a remote. The more I play with it the easier it gets though. Install took about 3 hours but they did a good job on it. Right now, my interior is done....not much to do with it besides what Porsche did from the factory.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:41 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 443 Likes on 285 Posts

Looks familiar... I just did this same install a couple months ago.

I like the system, BUT... the designers seem to be totally unaware that it is intended to be used in a moving vehicle. The buttons are too small, the menus a PITA, and to make a call you have to wade through about 5 layers of submenus including "confirms." I realized after the install that the calling is not voice activated.

Although using a cell phone is illegal, it is 1,000 times safer than trying to make a call while driving than using this system. Works very well when parked, however.

At least now I can watch a DVD movie while I am driving.

(P.S. Is that a gun in your passenger compartment?)
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 791 Posts

Nice! It makes the 996 interior feel much more modern, doesn't it?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 PM
cobra935o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are any of you using all of the Bose stuff that came in the car (amp/speakers, etc)? I am trying to find some way I can just switch out the head unit, and still use all the stock equipment, I dont want to change anything else if I dont have to. I know there are several threads on this, but none come out and say exactly what they have used to do this or if its even an option.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM
robo_porsche
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra935o
Are any of you using all of the Bose stuff that came in the car (amp/speakers, etc)? I am trying to find some way I can just switch out the head unit, and still use all the stock equipment, I dont want to change anything else if I dont have to. I know there are several threads on this, but none come out and say exactly what they have used to do this or if its even an option.
I guess you just buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-PORSC...item4d0257f8bd

Robert
Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 PM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Looks familiar... I just did this same install a couple months ago.

I like the system, BUT... the designers seem to be totally unaware that it is intended to be used in a moving vehicle. The buttons are too small, the menus a PITA, and to make a call you have to wade through about 5 layers of submenus including "confirms." I realized after the install that the calling is not voice activated.

Although using a cell phone is illegal, it is 1,000 times safer than trying to make a call while driving than using this system. Works very well when parked, however.

At least now I can watch a DVD movie while I am driving.

(P.S. Is that a gun in your passenger compartment?)
LOL, mine is installed so using the phone menu and nav unit is not an issue while driving. They also wired it so I could watch a DVD while the car is in motion only if I ground the wire they left for me.

Also, that is a BMW umbrella I had from the last car that I installed on the right side. Nice umbrella so I did not want to throw it away. As far as guns.....I do carry one all the time, but concealed.

Since you brought up guns....here is a pic of case number one:
Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 443 Likes on 285 Posts

carcster88: Also, that is a BMW umbrella I had from the last car that I installed on the right side. Nice umbrella so I did not want to throw it away. As far as guns.....I do carry one all the time, but concealed.
Ah, OK, an umbrella! It only rains about 5 to 10 days a year here, so the concept of an umbrella is not foremost in my thoughts. I don't own one, nor do I own any articles of clothing heavier than a sweatshirt.

Quite the hardware collection in that case!!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 AM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Ah, OK, an umbrella! It only rains about 5 to 10 days a year here, so the concept of an umbrella is not foremost in my thoughts. I don't own one, nor do I own any articles of clothing heavier than a sweatshirt.

Quite the hardware collection in that case!!
Understood on the CA thing....I was born in Orange County and grew up in Cali till I did 20 years of military service. Now...living in Colorado. My family still lives in California, but I am pretty much done with it. Also, out here with the weather, not bad to have 2 umbrellas in the car.

Second one is in the passenger floorboard gap, not OEM Porsche one but a small Totes one that fits perfect.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:35 PM
cobra935o
Instructor

So no one knows if there is a way to just switch the head unit and use the rest of the Bose system with a wiring harness from here in the US? Thanks again...
Old 05-10-2020, 12:52 PM
hornetpedro
2nd Gear

Hello Cuda911, did you use the same frame/bezel for the a/c control that was installed on the upper position?

Thanks

Last edited by hornetpedro; 05-10-2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-10-2020, 02:01 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetpedro
Hello Cuda911, did you use the same frame/bezel for the a/c control that was installed on the upper position?

Thanks
you know this thread is 7 years old, right?
Old 05-11-2020, 06:46 AM
hornetpedro
2nd Gear

Ups! Did not notice that at all!

Maybe someone can help me anyway...
Old 05-11-2020, 11:25 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetpedro
Ups! Did not notice that at all!

Maybe someone can help me anyway...
i have a Metra bezel and cubby i don't need if you want it.

Quick Reply: Double Din NAV/Stereo finally installed