996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

call me crazy ("custom" 996 on CL)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default call me crazy ("custom" 996 on CL)

This has some pretty standard ricer treatment- aftermarket LED tail lights, some crazy recaro knockoff seat conversion, fake carbon fiber, plati-dip paint, black aftermarket wheels. Maybe it's because it's impossible to mess up a MK1 aero, maybe it's because it's Duke colors, but I actually kind of like this car.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4020761314.html

Old 08-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That car is horrible. Porsche 911 with "Fast and Furious Mk5" package, disgusting. Dom Toretto said that he never races for pink slips against Porsche 911s, as every time he comes to collect the car previous owner would remove the engine and leave the spare tire in its place; even Mad Scientist could not figure out how to put 2JZ engine under that hood.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the plasti dip and the window tint, get some turbo twists or sport classic II's and you have a nice MK1 aero again.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems you could undo a lot of the "improvements" but why not look for something with less miles for similar price?

Last edited by b8_rdc; 08-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 PM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't see anything that horrible with it. I have the same tail lights tinted and do not think they are rice. Price seems like a good deal if it is well maintained. Different strokes for different folks. I also can't tell if it is fake carbon fiber or real.

From my understanding, the best thing about plasti-dip is you can just peal it off and back to original.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Soaringman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

154k miles, yikes
Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the seats, and CF hood/ roof (fake or not), I don't think it's that bad looking. I wouldn't pick those wheels, but there is nothing wrong with plasti-dip... If you don't like it just peel it off. At least it was protecting the wheels from wear...

Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM
thepenguin99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda like what he did with it. If the seats were porsche sport seats and the wing was removed I could really dig it. I really dislike the aero wing on the 996...looks like it belongs with a 18 year old driving his slammed civic.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

This is my take on this car and why I consider it horrible. This Porsche has multiple low budget modifications that add zero value and make the car less desirable. Ricer lights, interior modifications, two tone paints are fine on sub $3,000.00 cars. On the $80,000.00 car they are completely out of place. Do you paint an extra grill on Mona Lisa to make her look hip and cool? I didn’t think so.

Adding extensive visual, mechanical, and interior modifications makes the car less desirable and less appealing for multiple reasons. First, what appeals to one person can completely turn off others. Second, quality of the workmanship on the modifications is always suspect. Third, reasons for the modifications.

Most people want a blank slate when they buy their next vehicle. They want it stock and factory original. This Porsche had extensive visual, interior, and mechanical work done. Do you know who did the work? Why was the work done? Were electrical touched? Who did the performance parts? Car is lowered, has loud exhaust mod (no cats- no torque), has new clutch and ricer appeal. Was the guy into street racing? Was this the HIN show car?

I personally would not touch a modified car with a ten foot pole. When I was in school, I was working in the dealership. We would never offer good money for modified cars, and if we did take them as trade-ins they would always go to the auction. If you want to make the most $$$ from your car, sell it as 100% stock with no hints of previous mods.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
This is my take on this car and why I consider it horrible. This Porsche has multiple low budget modifications that add zero value and make the car less desirable. Ricer lights, interior modifications, two tone paints are fine on sub $3,000.00 cars. On the $80,000.00 car they are completely out of place. Do you paint an extra grill on Mona Lisa to make her look hip and cool? I didn’t think so.

Adding extensive visual, mechanical, and interior modifications makes the car less desirable and less appealing for multiple reasons. First, what appeals to one person can completely turn off others. Second, quality of the workmanship on the modifications is always suspect. Third, reasons for the modifications.

Most people want a blank slate when they buy their next vehicle. They want it stock and factory original. This Porsche had extensive visual, interior, and mechanical work done. Do you know who did the work? Why was the work done? Were electrical touched? Who did the performance parts? Car is lowered, has loud exhaust mod (no cats- no torque), has new clutch and ricer appeal. Was the guy into street racing? Was this the HIN show car?

I personally would not touch a modified car with a ten foot pole. When I was in school, I was working in the dealership. We would never offer good money for modified cars, and if we did take them as trade-ins they would always go to the auction. If you want to make the most $$$ from your car, sell it as 100% stock with no hints of previous mods.
That car did not cost 80K brand new
Because you own a 996 does not make you elite, it is a budget Porsche
Any mods he did were his own and guess he liked them
If you trade in your 996...you will get raped anyways

Most dedicated new Porsche owners are not looking for a 996....just saying.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carcster88
That car did not cost 80K brand new
Because you own a 996 does not make you elite, it is a budget Porsche
Any mods he did were his own and guess he liked them
If you trade in your 996...you will get raped anyways

Most dedicated new Porsche owners are not looking for a 996....just saying.
1. 99 996 with some options and with taxes was $78k. Even if you add taxes to the completely base price of $68k what do you get? Source.
2. Where is the elite part coming from?
3. Mods he did belong on the civic, not Porsche.
4. Trade-in information applies to any modified car.
5. People prefer 100% unmolested stock cars regardless of the make.

If you disagree with my information regarding the value of modified cars, go and speak with GM of any large dealership in your city. If you are feeling lazy, hit up Ebay and compare modified vs stock prices of similar models. I saw a guy trying to move his modified E60 M5 at measly 25K months now.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:05 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 443 Likes on 285 Posts

I think the truth lies somewhere in between the above posts. Some mods add value, some detract. Some may be worth more to a particular buyer, some may be worth less.

But, overall, the car in this post has horrible mods. Jeez, a satellite radio antenna on the roof?

As much as I hate the poor radio reception in my car, I would NEVER do that!

And, what's up with that rear quarter piece that looks like a delaminating tongue depressor?

"...crazy recaro knockoff seat conversion, fake carbon fiber... ....

Shameful mods on this car, really. Mods only a Ricer's mother would love.
Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2013, 06:20 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thepenguin99
I kinda like what he did with it. If the seats were porsche sport seats and the wing was removed I could really dig it. I really dislike the aero wing on the 996...looks like it belongs with a 18 year old driving his slammed civic.
I agree with this a little... I was never a fan of those aero wings. Compared to the 997 Aero/ GT3 wing, I like those a lot more.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That car screams... Teenage incompetent 'would be' racing car driver. Abused. Gear crunching, loudest sounds, rubber burning Cop magnet. Its a ****ing red neck wagon and nothing else. Porsche owners have a lot more class than driving ****e like that. See me, I have a lot of class. You can tell by the way I express my feelings. Oh and the way I inform the world that I own a 911 Porsche Carrera by badging up on the back. Not de badging like the modding sheep of this forum like to do. God forbid you might be different and have a brain of your own. This years 911 got the idea from me haha.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

inner city low rider

Quick Reply: call me crazy ("custom" 996 on CL)