Sponsored by:

double beep and doors wont lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 AM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default double beep and doors wont lock

Recently I noticed that my remote required two presses to lock the doors.

Then last Friday the lock failed altogether and I am getting double beeps signifying that something has failed in the locking mechanism.

This is a 2001 C4 Cab with around 60k on the odometer.

I had already been experiencing the failure of the window to drop on drivers side during closing(Have not repaired this yet) and recently I replaced the switch mounted on the ignition switch because the key was getting hard to remove and I was getting intermittent lights left on indicators which required cycling the key.

I can not lock it with the inside switch and I also can not lock it manually with the key. When I turn the key clockwise I feel resistance and the lock pushes the key back counter clockwise.

Is there anyway to narrow down what module has failed other than getting a scan?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

The double beep means that something is open. The usual candidates are the armrest in the center console and an aftermarket radio installation. Do you have an aftermarket head unit? In your case, the door peoblems that you are experiencing my be part of the issue.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I would get the codes. Otherwise it is land of a thousand guesses (which can get expensive quick).
Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Or your car battery is getting low on charge. How old is the battery?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2002 Targa with 80k miles and had to replace both door latches and window regulators when I bought the car a few months ago. Was experiencing similar issues, lights staying on, windows now dropping, etc.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM
barlowdo
Advanced

Battery is maintaining 14 volts on gauge if I can believe it.

Dennis C - I think single beep signifies something is open. Double beep means something is broke or wire shorted to ground or open or ...............

Checked all fuses in the alarm lock module on the fuse panel - three of them.

Did not check fuse on computer under seat - can you get to it without removing the seat?

Checked wires under seat because I had issues in the past where the wire bundle got snagged under the rail and scraped insulation off of one wire.

Did not take it to anyone for a scan - which is less expensive? Buying a Duremetric tool or getting a scan done?

Read owners manual to see how to manually lock the car. Did not see which way you rotate the key to lock the doors as I always used the remote since I bought the car 2 years ago. By trial and error it appears I rotate the key clockwise and than back and that locks the doors. The first time I tried it I was able to only lock the drivers door. The second time both doors locked and the fob locked and unlocked the doors with no beeps.

I got to work locked the doors with the key and recalled I needed something out of the car. Tried the fob and got the beep beep again. Manually unlocked the car and tried the FOB to lock it again and no dice so locked it manually.

I am hoping I have a lazy lock mechanism and I hope it is the drivers side as I have had problems with the window dropping - and yes I know it could also be the window cable is stretched.

Anyway I cant get the trim piece off the stationary pull handle on the drivers door. I tried buying a plastic putty knife/spatula at a couple of auto parts stores similar to the plastic tool I see in an online video for removing the trim but no one sells one.

I also have read that if you are not careful removing it you can break one of the snaps. And BTW - it is leather interior which adds to the challenge.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A DOUBLE beep means there is an alarm fault.
A SINGLE beep means one (or more) zones are open and unable to arm.

You have an alarm fault and will need the alarm fault code(s) to diagnose further.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

What Loren says.

I can add when my 02 Boxster did the same thing: Inexplicable double beeps when locking the car, passenger side window not dropping when I opened the door or worse dropping then once open going up again, and the door locks coming on on their own accord while driving, the problem proved to be a bad passenger door lock assembly. This is the biggie in terms of size, complexity and parts cost. Labor to replace is an hour or two I can't remember now.

The tech hooked up the Porsche diagnostics computer and did some checking to see if it was a less expensive part but the error codes from the car's security controller pointed right at the door lock assembly.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

My drivers door lock assembly has window issues. I am guessing it is now having the lock issues but will not know for sure with out getting it scanned.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 PM
agerada
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I have exactly the same symptoms (double beep, having to click the remote twice for a lock and driver's side window does not retracted when closing).

The Durametric gives the following codes. Does anyone have any ideas what the actual offending part/s may be:

60 - Central locking limit position Lock not reached
61 - Central locking limit position Unlock not reached
1 - Door(s) secured and terminal 15 on
44 - Alarm actuation by driver's door
47 - Control locking synchronization

Thanks
Anthony

2001 C2 Coupe Tip. 43,000 kms.
The following users liked this post:
Sarc1218 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by agerada
Hi

I have exactly the same symptoms (double beep, having to click the remote twice for a lock and driver's side window does not retracted when closing).

The Durametric gives the following codes. Does anyone have any ideas what the actual offending part/s may be:

60 - Central locking limit position Lock not reached
61 - Central locking limit position Unlock not reached
1 - Door(s) secured and terminal 15 on
44 - Alarm actuation by driver's door
47 - Control locking synchronization

Thanks
Anthony

2001 C2 Coupe Tip. 43,000 kms.
All those codes point to the same two possibilities:
- Short circuit to ground/open circuit in wiring between the alarm system control module, central locking switch or door locks
- Driver's/passenger's door lock faulty

My bets would be on the faulty lock/microswitch on the driver door.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:46 AM
gregoogle
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 996 won’t lock

I know this is an old thread.. but I’m Searching around online as I just bought my first 996. Previous owner told me battery recently died and door locks won’t work because low battery voltage. Voltage looks fine on the dash. Thinking it might be faulty actuator like mentioned above. Any suggestions appreciated!

Old 07-11-2022, 09:08 AM
Icelia
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by gregoogle
I know this is an old thread.. but I’m Searching around online as I just bought my first 996. Previous owner told me battery recently died and door locks won’t work because low battery voltage. Voltage looks fine on the dash. Thinking it might be faulty actuator like mentioned above. Any suggestions appreciated!
To really diagnose a locking problem you need either a Diametric, or a code reader that can see microswitch positions ( I use a foxwell NT130)
Otherwise it is an expensive guessing game. Mine ended up being a cold solder joint in the passenger door latch assembly.
Never would have isolated it to that switch without a tool that showed me that the switch showed open even with the door closed.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Idaho911
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Icelia
To really diagnose a locking problem you need either a Diametric, or a code reader that can see microswitch positions ( I use a foxwell NT130)
Otherwise it is an expensive guessing game. Mine ended up being a cold solder joint in the passenger door latch assembly.
Never would have isolated it to that switch without a tool that showed me that the switch showed open even with the door closed.
Agreed fully. If you don't want to invest in a scanner, a shop should pull codes.

I had an issue where the glovebox microswitch failed, leaving the light on. Would slowly drain battery and also do the double honk thing. Scanner made it quite and easy.
The following users liked this post:
Icelia (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 06:24 PM
turkis_tii
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Since replacing bulbs in overhead of my ‘00 C2, I’m getting the double beep on unlock (with key, fob doesn’t work). Checked arm rest, front and rear lids, and sunroof. No fault codes showed up using a Durametric. I may have damaged the sensor in the overhead unit, but wouldn’t that give a fault in the alarm section?

Quick Reply: double beep and doors wont lock