996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ROW M030 vs Expensive Coilovers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:22 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default ROW M030 vs Expensive Coilovers??

So winter is approaching and thoughts start on what work to do on my 45k mile 40th. Last year I did all the brakes and this year I am thinking of suspension as well as front bearings as one of them is starting to show some play.
I use the car as a DD here in MN (read crappy roads), with 2-3 track DE’s a year. My primary goal is reducing some of the 4x4 look, yet not sacrificing the ride. I was thinking about going for a new set of ROW M030 springs, to replace my US 030 that came standard. At $1200 from Sunset they seem a great deal vs $3,000 for full on coil overs.
Any suggestions from many of you that I am sure have modded your suspension, is the extra money for coilovers really 2x better that a new set of M030?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 PM
bornrich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One advantage with the coilovers is you can adjust them to soft when DD and then to almost full hard at the the track for better handling. The coilovers can lower your car but you have some control over just how much it lowers it.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I replied to your PM- I have a blast at DE's on the stock m030 springs and the konis, but the 4x4 look is still there. ROW m030 is a great ride height but there is something to be said for coilover adjustability- you can always just change the ride height and damping if you don't like it. Not so with ROW m030 setup.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As someone mentioned, the ROW kit seems to be a mixed bag at best in terms of the ride height. Some have barely noticed a difference.

I'm not sure you wanna take that chance if your primary focus is on ride height.

Non CO option would be H&R springs paired either with Bilstein Sports or Koni FSD's which would offer a more compliant ride.

It's really a shame the x74 option is NLA.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by alpine003
Non CO option would be H&R springs paired either with Bilstein Sports or Koni FSD's which would offer a more compliant ride.

It's really a shame the x74 option is NLA.
For clarification, I have koni sports, which are rebound-adjustable via a **** on the top of the damper. The Koni FSDs are supposed to be self-adjusting depending on your driving conditions but I have not heard any first-hand reports about how well they work...
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Question is how low do you want to go?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:03 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

M030 are really comfortable and plenty potent on the track.
On the track what you will miss is a lower car, not only lower center of gravity but also bette aerodynamics.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM
hollmatt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 40th anniversary and switched to M030 RoW in April this year and I'm very pleased. It definitely dropped the ride height but its very compliant. I could feel the change from 9 yr old suspension and for the cost from Suncoast it was a bargain
Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry, I wasnt clear, lowering isn't my priority, just a nice visual byproduct of changing out the suspension.
I just think my suspension isn't at it's best at 10 years old and 45k, it's by no means bad, just not as good as the day it rolled out of the factory.
So I would like to refresh it, if possible improve it's ride quality, but not sacrifice its track abilities for the few times I track it.

I would prefer to stay OEM, I think Porsche nows more about what works over a broad spectrum of driving than most aftermarket. And don't think I can justify $3-4k for coil overs vs $1200 for M030 ROW.

I am just unsure, how much improvement it will be over my std US M030 setup.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:45 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also considering ROW M030, I'm at 80k on stock suspension. My car seemed to under steer at the track, hoping this would clean that up. Slightly lower is a nice by product, and I don't want something too harsh for a DD.

Local Indy quoted me $700 for installation and alignment, seems high to me. Is that reasonable? I've already dumped a bunch of money into the car since buying in May (made the mistake of adding it all up.) Having trouble justifying it to myself as my suspension is still adequate...
Old 10-05-2013, 12:18 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Installation isn't bad if you have access to a decent spring compressor. Of course if you aren't reusing springs you might not need the spring compressor. Access to a lift is also a huge help too, even if it is just a small scissor lift. I did mine in an afternoon. $700 does seem steep. $4-500 would be reasonable I guess @ $100 an hour.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:18 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
Sorry, I wasnt clear, lowering isn't my priority, just a nice visual byproduct of changing out the suspension.
I just think my suspension isn't at it's best at 10 years old and 45k, it's by no means bad, just not as good as the day it rolled out of the factory.
So I would like to refresh it, if possible improve it's ride quality, but not sacrifice its track abilities for the few times I track it.

I would prefer to stay OEM, I think Porsche nows more about what works over a broad spectrum of driving than most aftermarket. And don't think I can justify $3-4k for coil overs vs $1200 for M030 ROW.

I am just unsure, how much improvement it will be over my std US M030 setup.
If that's the case the ROW setup is a no brainer IMO. Get it and don't look back or think it through any more than you have to. Also make sure to swap out your motor mounts to compliment the new suspension.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Installation isn't bad if you have access to a decent spring compressor. Of course if you aren't reusing springs you might not need the spring compressor. Access to a lift is also a huge help too, even if it is just a small scissor lift. I did mine in an afternoon. $700 does seem steep. $4-500 would be reasonable I guess @ $100 an hour.
I just looked my receipt up. I had it installed at my indie two years ago and it was $800 including the alignment. As others have mentioned, the RoW M030 doesn't change the height very much, but it definite changes the handling characteristics. With the new suspension and motor mounts, the change is significant.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
So winter is approaching and thoughts start on what work to do on my 45k mile 40th. Last year I did all the brakes and this year I am thinking of suspension as well as front bearings as one of them is starting to show some play.
I use the car as a DD here in MN (read crappy roads), with 2-3 track DE’s a year. My primary goal is reducing some of the 4x4 look, yet not sacrificing the ride. I was thinking about going for a new set of ROW M030 springs, to replace my US 030 that came standard. At $1200 from Sunset they seem a great deal vs $3,000 for full on coil overs.
Any suggestions from many of you that I am sure have modded your suspension, is the extra money for coilovers really 2x better that a new set of M030?
Ask yourself how much are you gonna get serious at the track and ow much is comfort important to you. Therer is no such thing as a coilover that has a good adjustment in height. They are designed to run a certain height usually about 30-50 mm is where you can set it. I have seen too many guys try to run it in the weeds and hate it. The M030 is a great setup and a big improvement over stock, but I can say they are not up to the task for serious DE. Since you only do 2-3 a year it may be perfect for yo. The height it drops the car is about 1/2 inch. Coilover will ride stiffer, but lower more. IMO coilover are worth it if you get serious about tracking, if you need lower than M030 get some koni and H&R if your not serious about track days. FWIW I do have a M030 kit I'm will to let go.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 AM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interested in your M030 kit, PM sent.

Quick Reply: ROW M030 vs Expensive Coilovers??